• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zones 1-6 weekly travelcard PLUS Epsom- impossible?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amygrant93

Hey I'm really hoping someone can help me out! I have been on the phone to customer services at both National Rail AND Southern Rail, and they couldn't have been more unhelpful if they had tried.

I'm trying to find out how much a weekly Zones 1-6 travelcard with access to Epsom will cost. I think sometimes this is called an 'Epsom extension'?

(This is because I'll be traveling from Brixton (zone 2) to Epsom sometimes, and Hampton (zone 6) to Epsom sometimes too.)

If anyone does this themselves, has the info, or knows how can I find out- please help me!

Thanks so much xx

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
How disappointing. An easy question they should have got right.

The ticket is EPSOM - LONDON ZONES 1-6. (It does not matter that you finish at Epsom and actually start in the zones, a season ticket can be used either way around.)

£63.80 if you take Southern only from Epsom to London.
£68.30 if you want to take Southern and South West Trains from Epsom to London.

Clip

Established Member
This all depends on how often you will go to Epsom.

A zone 2-6 weekly TC will cost £41.20
A day return from boundary zone 6 to Epsom is £4.10

So if you only go 3 times a week then you can save yourself over a tenner on caustons Epsom 1-6 tc

I think you may have confused them when asking for extensions when you called them.

cuccir

Established Member
It may be worth pointing out that you can also get a Epsom to London Zones 2-6 Travelcard for £49.70.

This ticket is not valid in Zone 1, ie not for travel via Victoria, but the journey time from Brixton to Epsom is typically slightly faster travelling Brixton > Herne Hill > Sutton > Epsom (though slightly more fiddly; note Herne Hill is a 20 min walk from Brixton station). This ticket is also valid to start/end a journey at Clapham High Street (15 min walk from Brixton station but a 10 min shorter journey on average) via Clapham Junction.

Last edited:

amygrant93

Thanks so much for your replies! Definitely impressed.

I'll be commuting there Monday-Friday, but I want also Zone 1 because I visit central London for gigs and stuff all the time, including the weekend.
So I think the £68.30 one sounds right for me.

James Wake

If you are doing Hampton to Epsom sometimes, the easiest change is at Raynes Park, so the £68.30 one which covers SWT and Southern between Ewell West/East and Epsom is best. In case there are railway problems, travelcards are valid on the buses, so you could get a 111 or 216 to Kingston then 406/418 to Epsom, or even the 465 from Kingston goes to Leatherhead and Dorking. If I was doing Brixton to Epsom, I would get the Victoria Line to Vauxhall then South West Trains to Epsom (or a bus to Clapham Junction then South West Trains or Southern).

amygrant93

If you are doing Hampton to Epsom sometimes, the easiest change is at Raynes Park, so the £68.30 one which covers SWT and Southern between Ewell West/East and Epsom is best. In case there are railway problems, travelcards are valid on the buses, so you could get a 111 or 216 to Kingston then 406/418 to Epsom, or even the 465 from Kingston goes to Leatherhead and Dorking. If I was doing Brixton to Epsom, I would get the Victoria Line to Vauxhall then South West Trains to Epsom (or a bus to Clapham Junction then South West Trains or Southern).

Yes thank you, those are the routes I've taken in the past two weeks. I had been paying for each day separately, though, and now I'm thinking long-term (ish). Do you think it's possible to buy a monthly ticket at a slightly cheaper price?

The £68.30 Epsom to London Z1 to Z6 Any Permitted ticket would indeed probably be the best option for your journeys.

If this helps you can find full details of all of the fares between Epsom and London Z1 to Z6 - http://www.brfares.com/#expert?orig=EPS&dest=0035 - on this link.

These are the details - http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=EPS&dest=0035&expert=on&flow=0&multi=0&fare=0&tkt=7TS - of the £68.30 weekly ticket.

You can buy this from any ticket office or from any Southern (Shere) TVM by using the "tickets from another station" feature.

lightbulb

Yes thank you, those are the routes I've taken in the past two weeks. I had been paying for each day separately, though, and now I'm thinking long-term (ish). Do you think it's possible to buy a monthly ticket at a slightly cheaper price?

The equivalent monthly will be 3.84x the weekly, rounded to the nearest 10p above. So 68.30 x 3.84 is 262.272, rounded up = £262.30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.