• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zurich to Milan EuroCity routeing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarCrossing

Hi folks.

I'm planning on travelling from Zurich to Milan, and later on to Rome, on Sunday 21st January. I know that one tube of the Gotthard base tunnel has re-opened, but I'm not sure which trains are using it. Therefore, I have the following questions on routeing:

Question 1: Online planners are quoting a journey time of 4 hours and 17 minutes for the direct EuroCity trains from Zurich to Milan. Is this consistent with a trip through the base tunnel or a trip over the classic Gotthard route?

Question 2: If I book the journey now, how likely is it that the routeing will change between now and 21st January?

Any other titbits of info would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

1. 4h 17' is over the mountain, not through the tunnel. The SBB website and app will show "Gotthard-Panoramastrecke" if you look in the train details. Enjoy the views!
2. Unlikely to change.

If you're travelling on Interrail, use the hourly journey with a change in Lugano, so you don't have to pay a €13 reservation. Travel time is 4h 12'.

StarCrossing

1. 4h 17' is over the mountain, not through the tunnel. The SBB website and app will show "Gotthard-Panoramastrecke" if you look in the train details. Enjoy the views!
2. Unlikely to change.

If you're travelling on Interrail, use the hourly journey with a change in Lugano, so you don't have to pay a €13 reservation. Travel time is 4h 12'.
Thank you very much - seems obvious now you've shown me where to look!

nwales58

A quick look at sbb.ch suggests the tunnel is in use for passengers:

Southbound: Friday late afternoon until Saturday lunchtime

Northbound: Sunday afternoon-evening

If the connection time at Lugano onto the RE service looks tight, don't worry as it usually works despite being through the subway. Switzerland does depend on passengers being full-trained to know when to rush and when to relax. If the connection fails, turn right at the top of the stairs for the cafe with spectacular view over the lake while you wait.

Last edited:

StarCrossing

A quick look at sbb.ch suggests the tunnel is in use for passengers:

Southbound: Friday late afternoon until Saturday lunchtime

Northbound: Sunday afternoon-evening

If the connection time at Lugano onto the RE service looks tight, don't worry as it usually works despite being through the subway. Switzerland does depend on passengers being full-trained to know when to rush and when to relax. If the connection fails, turn right at the top of the stairs for the cafe with spectacular view over the lake while you wait.
I'll take the direct EuroCity, but thank you for the advice.

dm1

The Gotthard Base tunnel is only being used for passenger trains on weekends (Friday evenings included), as during the week all the paths are taken up by freight, most of which cannot take the mountain route either due to being too heavy for the gradients or due to loading gauge.

You will however probably still go through the Ceneri Base Tunnel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.