• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GroupSave changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
According to the London Midland website GroupSave is due to change in some way from 18 May 2014. Any idea what this entails?

Groups of 3-9 people (adults or children) travelling together can get 34% off their tickets when buying online or at the station.

The discount applies to all Off-Peak or Off-Peak Day tickets (Travelcard, singles and returns). Your ticket will show a ‘G’ on it representing that the GroupSave discount has been applied.

If you already have a GroupSave ticket under the previous discount structure (up to 4 people travel for the price of 2) your ticket will still be valid for travel after the 18th May 2014.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wibble

Discount level changes from GroupSave 3 saving a third and GroupSave 4 saving 50%, to a one third saving for all GroupSave discounted tickets as well as the introduction of a discount for a group of 5 travelling together.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
the introduction of a discount for a group of 5 travelling together.

I wonder if that going to be spun as a positive thing?! Currently, say for a fare of £30, with five passengers you can get 4 GPS-4 tickets at £15 each, plus one full price, giving a total cost of 4 * £15 + £30 = £90.

If all five passengers are going to only have a third off, then the new cost will be 5 * £20 = £100. Not a positive development at all!

Four passengers travelling together would currently pay £60; with the new arrangement they will pay 4 * £20 = £80.

So five passengers travelling together will pay 11% more than currently, and four passengers travelling together will pay 33% more!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is this expected to be a national change?

If so I wonder if this might see XC accepting GroupSave then, because if the discount per passenger is effectively the same as any typical railcard, they'll be little or no worse off.

Another comparison is that Network card holders can already take up to four others with them at 1/3 off, so in the southeast at least, GS4 loses some of its attraction...

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm sure ScotRail already do this. The new tickets will be issued as one ticket so no more sneaky spitting up the group on the way home.

MyFriendMary

I'm sure ScotRail already do this. The new tickets will be issued as one ticket so no more sneaky spitting up the group on the way home.

We've been instructed to already do this, print all 3/4, on the same ticket to avoid any individuals in the group either losing their ticket and invalidating all the others or anyone coming back without the others.

Also saves on ticket stock. Got to think about those trees :P

All Line Rover

Established Member
I wonder if that going to be spun as a positive thing?! Currently, say for a fare of £30, with five passengers you can get 4 GPS-4 tickets at £15 each, plus one full price, giving a total cost of 4 * £15 + £30 = £90.

If all five passengers are going to only have a third off, then the new cost will be 5 * £20 = £100. Not a positive development at all!

Four passengers travelling together would currently pay £60; with the new arrangement they will pay 4 * £20 = £80.

So five passengers travelling together will pay 11% more than currently, and four passengers travelling together will pay 33% more!

On the one hand, it's always seemed strange in theory that 4 passengers should pay the same as 3 passengers, and if this change enables GroupSave to be rolled out more widely (e.g. on Virgin) I would be in favour. On the other hand, if nothing changes to GroupSave except the price, it will of course be a detrimental change. I reserve judgement.

Be3G

Established Member
One small change that would be welcome if made would be amending the fact that currently, if a traveller doesn't turn up, the whole group's purchase is invalidated. Maybe they might rethink this rule in light of the price change? One can hope.

jon0844

Veteran Member
One small change that would be welcome if made would be amending the fact that currently, if a traveller doesn't turn up, the whole group's purchase is invalidated. Maybe they might rethink this rule in light of the price change? One can hope.

If you now have only one ticket, that should be easy to do. People HAVE to be together, and will know they need a new ticket if they decide to go home earlier/later or not travel later.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
One ticket's fine but not if it is a one-day travelcard, as this can cause chaos at barriers.

To be fair in my experience Groupsave tickets don't usually work the barriers at national rail stations but this is easier to deal with as most stations are nowhere near as busy as Underground stations.

bnm

Established Member
Any more information on this apart from the post from wibble upthread which has no source?

I've had a tweet from @nationalrailenq telling me there will be changes, but they won't specify the details at the moment.

It's kinda frustrating for the likes of Community Rail Partnerships who are producing advertising material for the summer and can't ensure accuracy of the GroupSave terms and conditions beyond 18th May.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Having now seen the brief, there are no changes to the participating TOCs, the maximum group size is increased to 9 people and Kids for a Quid is abolished.

Unlike other fare changes, which come into force four weeks ahead for travel after the fares change date, it only applies to tickets purchased on or after 18th May.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are there any changes to the size of the discount? Can 4 still travel for the price of 2?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are there any changes to the size of the discount? Can 4 still travel for the price of 2?

Yes there are changes, and no the '4 for 2' is not retained.. Nearly as suggested in the info in the second post of this thread, rather than up to 5 it's any size of party between 3 and 9 adults now gets 34% off.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
It's odd that East Coast aren't joining. GroupSave now replicates their group travel offer for Advance tickets.

Muzer

Established Member
I'm so disappointed. Won't be using GroupSave over railcards from now on.

island

Veteran Member
It's odd that East Coast aren't joining. GroupSave now replicates their group travel offer for Advance tickets.

You can't get GroupSave on Advances and they may not feel they need or want to offer it on walk-up tickets.

John @ home

Established Member
East Coast have become less generous. They now advertise "travel in a group of 3-9 people with our East Coast Advance fares and you’ll enjoy a massive 25% off the price of tickets".

For example, a £25.80 Advance Single Edinburgh - London in the Fares Manual is reduced, if bought at East Coast, to £24.00 for one passenger and to £17.75 each (74% of £24.00) for 3-9 passengers.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No one has mentioned if this is across all TOC's ?

I often use group save 4 or group save 4 + 1 Network card in Kent and Sussex and Cornwall. From what others have said, it looks as though this will be detrimental.

Biggus Tiggus

Some examples...Let's use a Reading - London Off-Peak Day Return, costing £17.70, as our base ticket. This currently gives a GroupSave 3 discounted price of £11.70, GroupSave 4 of £8.85 and Kids for a Quid.

• Group of 3 Adults - Remains the same at £35.10
  • Group of 4 Adults - Increases from £35.40 to £46.80 (£11.40 or +32.2%)
  • Group of 5 Adults - Increases from £53.10 to £58.50 (£5.40 or +10.2%)
  • Group of 6 Adults - Remains the same at £70.20
  • Group of 7 Adults - Increases from £70.50 to £81.90 (£11.40 or +16.2%)
  • Group of 8 Adults - Increases from £70.80 to £93.60 (£22.80 or +32.2%)
  • Group of 9 Adults - Remains the same at £105.30

Add Children to the mix and it gets worse...With 4 Adults and 4 Children, the total increases from £39.40 to £82.20 (£42.80 or +108.6%)! With a Family Railcard, that'd come down to £60.20 (£11.70 Adult, £3.35 Child).

I don't envy retail staff on 18th May as a result of this change...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

This applies to all TOCs that currently offer GroupSave (possibly except EMT and ScotRail, whose implementation is different to the main scheme). Passengers travelling on TOCs that offer their own Child Flat Fares already will escape the hurt of having to pay full Child fare when the "Kids For A Quid" is withdrawn.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Am I right in thinking tickets purchased before 18/5 for travel later in the year will get the current discount? Hoping I can avoid a 50% increase in our summer holiday tickets!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

In post #12 it was pointed out that there are 'no changes' to the participating TOCs.

Having now seen the internal staff brief on another forum, all the TOCs that currently use the 'standard' Groupsave are changing. (That's Abellio Greater Anglia, c2c, Chiltern, First Capital Connect, First Great Western, London Midland, London Overground, Southeastern, Southern, South West Trains.)

Then there are two other TOCs (as mentioned a couple of posts above), EMT and Scotrail, that are retaining their specific Groupsave schemes that operate slightly differently to the main scheme.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking tickets purchased before 18/5 for travel later in the year will get the current discount? Hoping I can avoid a 50% increase in our summer holiday tickets!

I think you are.

Be3G

Established Member
I suppose this is the price we all pay for the Two Together railcard. :(

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This applies to all TOCs that currently offer GroupSave (possibly except EMT and ScotRail, whose implementation is different to the main scheme). Passengers travelling on TOCs that offer their own Child Flat Fares already will escape the hurt of having to pay full Child fare when the "Kids For A Quid" is withdrawn.

Thanks for the clarification.

bnm

Established Member
Here is that retail brief issued to staff.

GroupSave Changes – From Sunday 18 May 2014
From Sunday 18 May 2014, GroupSave will be simplified to a 34% discount on the adult fare and extended to groups of 3 to 9 people travelling together on participating train company (TOC) services.

All tickets purchased up to and including 17 May 2014 for groups of 3 or 4 people travelling together on any date of travel (including travel on or after 18 May) should be issued with the existing GroupSave 3 (GS3), GroupSave 4 (GS4) and GroupSave Child for £1 (GSC) discounts.

All tickets sold with the existing GS3, GS4 and GSC discounts for travel on or after 18 May 2014 are still valid for travel.

All tickets purchased on or after 18 May 2014 should be issued with the new GroupSave (GS3) discount.

Changes from 18 May 2014

GroupSave (GS3)
• GS3 discount status code will be retained
• Description will change to GroupSave
• 34% discount on adult fares
• Group size will change to 3 to 9 adults
• Legend printed on the ticket will change to GSV

GroupSave 4 (GS4) & GroupSave Child for £1 (GSC)
• No longer valid for sale from Sunday 18 May 2014
• GS4 and GSC may still be visible in retail systems – this is only to ensure that tickets sold on or
before 17 May for travel on or after 18 May can be collected via Ticket on Departure.

Validity
There is no change to the ticket types that the GroupSave discount applies to.

Group Size
GroupSave discounts will be valid for groups of 3 to 9 adults travelling together.

Where flat fares for accompanying children are offered by a TOC, these can be issued along with GroupSave discounted Off-Peak tickets for adult groups of 3 or more people. Where there is no flat fare for children the usual child fare is payable.

As per the current GroupSave offer, where a group size of 2 adults + 1 child or 1 adult + 2 children are travelling together and GroupSave discounted tickets offers the best value fare for their journey, the children in the group can be issued an adult discounted ticket in order to obtain the GroupSave discount for the whole group. Children who are included in a group to reach the minimum GroupSave group size of 3, should not be issued with a Child flat fare.

Please be aware that where Child flat fares are offered and the group size is 1 adult + 2 children, the best value fare for their journey may be a full price Adult fare + two Child flat fares.

Time Restrictions
GroupSave discounted tickets have the same restrictions as the corresponding non-discounted ticket.

If the ticket has no morning restriction, then travel is not permitted before 09:30 Mondays to Fridays (excluding Public Holidays). See GroupSave section of Knowledgebase for details.

Date Restrictions
Any date restrictions on the GroupSave discount are detailed in the GroupSave Calendar. See GroupSave section of Knowledgebase for details.

Participating TOCs
There is no change to the participating train companies:

• Abellio Greater Anglia
• c2c
• Chiltern
• First Capital Connect
• First Great Western
• London Midland
• London Overground
• Southeastern
• Southern
• South West Trains

Issuing discounted tickets
Ticket issuing information is specific to your TIS. Contact your TOC Retail Support Team as required.

Refunds
Usual refund arrangements apply. See the Refunds section of Knowledgebase for the relevant procedure. For local instructions contact your TOC Retail Support Team.

Excess Tickets
A minimum of 3 people travelling together is required for GroupSave discounted tickets to be valid for travel. Usual excess fare arrangements apply. See the Excess Fares section of Knowledgebase for the relevant procedure. For local instructions contact your TOC Retail Support Team.

Further Notes
East Midlands Trains and ScotRail offer GroupSave ticket types – GR3, GR4 and GR5 – for specific journeys on their routes. To issue GroupSave tickets for travel on East Midlands Trains or ScotRail services, select the relevant ticket type and not the GroupSave discount code.

[Name redacted]
ATOC [Job title redacted] – [phone redacted]

National Rail Enquiries told me a couple of days ago that there is no public information yet as final details are not confirmed. I find that hard to believe if a retail brief has to been sent out to staff. What's more likely is ATOC are trying to come up with a form of words that will try to sugar coat the massive price increases these new arrangements mean. I predict they'll mention 'bringing into line with railcard discounts' and/or 'simplification'.

What's really annoying about this is that many Community Rail Partnerships and other such bodies have already produced their summer literature with detail of the current GroupSave arrangements. It appears there has been no consultation whatsoever, save within ATOC. No doubt some will argue that the relevant TOCs don't have to consult, as this is a special offer. That's just arrogance though.

RJ

Established Member
I'm so disappointed. Won't be using GroupSave over railcards from now on.

If you're travelling with other people who don't have a railcard, Groupsave may well still work out to be the cheapest option overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.