• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Clip

Established Member
VTEC are now doing match day tickets - great idea imo

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/deals/football-supporters-train-tickets/

Being a serious football fan can mean clocking up some serious miles with your club. One weekend you’re up in Newcastle, the next you’re heading down to London for a cup replay. That’s why we’ve created the perfect booking system, so passionate fans need never miss a fixture. Registering and booking your matchday travel right here will net you:

10% off Virgin Trains East Coast Advance ticket prices
25% discount on Virgin Trains East Coast group bookings between three and nine fans
Free ticket change if the game is moved for TV scheduling (on Virgin Trains East Coast tickets and services only), and
Extra time to catch your return train if there’s extra time in the game

Best of all, we’ll have tickets for the trains you’ll need ready in advance. We’ll be scouring the fixture lists to make sure you can score seats for the right trains running to the right places throughout the season. You can find out if a train journey qualifies for this scheme by visiting this page.

Please note this discount is only available via the desktop site. If you are using a mobile phone, please change to a desktop device to book your tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
VTEC are now doing match day tickets - great idea imo

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.co...train-tickets/

Quote:

10% off Virgin Trains East Coast Advance ticket prices
25% discount on Virgin Trains East Coast group bookings between three and nine fans
Free ticket change if the game is moved for TV scheduling (on Virgin Trains East Coast tickets and services only), and
Extra time to catch your return train if there’s extra time in the game

Great in theory, but in practice the last East Coast train from King's Cross to the North East leaves at 2200; might be a bit tricky if your game in London doesn't finish till 2145!

Clip

Established Member
Great in theory, but in practice the last East Coast train from King's Cross to the North East leaves at 2200; might be a bit tricky if your game in London doesn't finish till 2145!

I thought the last game played on a Saturday was around 1700? Still plenty of time to make the dash to the cross then... Unless we're playing Watford

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I thought the last game played on a Saturday was around 1700? Still plenty of time to make the dash to the cross then... Unless we're playing Watford

I think he's talking about 1945/2000 kick-offs midweek.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

A little tighter - last Saturday train to the North East is 2100.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It says "If you are renewing then simply login to your “My Railcard” account and we will send you a new card in the post the same day". As an existing card holder how/where do I get a “My Railcard” account?

You will only get one if you buy a Railcard from them in the first place, otherwise how would they know you already have one?

So buy your next one from them and you will be able to renew subsequently I suspect.

Stompa

You will only get one if you buy a Railcard from them in the first place, otherwise how would they know you already have one?

So buy your next one from them and you will be able to renew subsequently I suspect.

Thanks, I'm sure you're correct. I guess I was really just wondering if there might already be some central database of existing railcard holders, created from the information you enter on the paper form when purchasing one from a station.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks, I'm sure you're correct. I guess I was really just wondering if there might already be some central database of existing railcard holders, created from the information you enter on the paper form when purchasing one from a station.

Even if there were, I doubt Thameslink would have access to it - data protection and all that.

BlueFox

EMT's 'Red Dot Day' promotion is back. £20 for a day's unlimited travel on the EMT network, with the exception of Nottingham-Skegness, on Saturday 25th July. Tickets must be purchased from Nottingham ticket office in exchange for a voucher, and can be purchased in advance. Expect the details will be on the EMT website soon enough.

Details here: http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/tickets-deals/deals-savings/Red-Dot-Day/

It says: "unlimited travel on the East Midlands Trains network"

But also "Available for purchase and travel from Nottingham station only."

I'll be in Nottingham next week so I'll be able to buy a ticket, but I'm concerned about the "travel from Nottingham station only" bit. Are they really that bothered about where you start your journey from?

If for example I get on my first train at Leicester in mid morning, will they know I didn't travel on an earlier train from Nottingham? (I can think of ways they could do this)

Or would they insist that I buy a ticket to Nottingham and travel there, just so I can get on a train going back through Leicester again?

Red Dragon

That's correct and I've just done exactly that.

I bought my last Railcard through the website, renewed it last week, and received my new Railcard two days later. Very efficient.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
That's correct and I've just done exactly that.

I bought my last Railcard through the website, renewed it last week, and received my new Railcard two days later. Very efficient.

I thought Thameslink had only just started selling Network Railcards online.

MKD

For anyone 50+ Free membership for 1 year & £10 return Advance ticket within Scotland.
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/offers/club50

It's actually even better - the "Club 50 Flat Fare Return" @ £10 is a price-capped Return fare between two stations in Scotland (via ScotRail only, though excludes Lockerbie), ie out (tickets available to 30/9) and back within a month, without the Advance restrictions - though some peak-hour constraints at their major Cities.

This replaces their old "Club 55" which didn't require any registration/membership/fee/SmartCard, but was latterly £19 for a return, so is a lot cheaper especially in the first year if you blag a free (£15) membership.

Need to sign-up by 31/8 to get membership for free - otherwise it'll be £15 for your first year's membership when the scheme formally launches in September.

To sign up you need a passport style mugshot to upload to them so they can send you a proper Club 50 SmartCard in September, but for now they immediately give you the temporary membership details to print out with a link to the £10 booking offer (and they repeat the membership details and link in a confirmatory email).

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
It's actually even better - the "Club 50 Flat Fare Return" @ £10 is a price-capped Return fare between two stations in Scotland (via ScotRail only, though excludes Lockerbie), ie out (tickets available to 30/9) and back within a month, without the Advance restrictions - though some peak-hour constraints at their major Cities.

This replaces their old "Club 55" which didn't require any registration/membership/fee/SmartCard, but was latterly £19 for a return, so is a lot cheaper especially in the first year if you blag a free (£15) membership.

Need to sign-up by 31/8 to get membership for free - otherwise it'll be £15 for your first year's membership when the scheme formally launches in September.

To sign up you need a passport style mugshot to upload to them so they can send you a proper Club 50 SmartCard in September, but for now they immediately give you the temporary membership details to print out with a link to the £10 booking offer (and they repeat the membership details and link in a confirmatory email).

People have been moaning about the scheme up here as the £10 return is a one off. After that it is a 20% reduction admittedly all year rather than the £19 return which was only available periodically.

Cheds

The old scotrail deals included carlisle and Berwick, but these aren't specifically mentioned here. Anyone know about this?

Thanks

BlueFox

The old scotrail deals included carlisle and Berwick, but these aren't specifically mentioned here. Anyone know about this?

The old one included all TOCs (apart from East Coast). The new one is Scotrail only, so that rules out Berwick.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
People have been moaning about the scheme up here as the £10 return is a one off. After that it is a 20% reduction admittedly all year rather than the £19 return which was only available periodically.

Having said that Butts has just booked a trip to Thurso from Falkirk after joining the Club for the princely sum of £10.

Staying overnight and returning the next day.

IanD

Established Member
Got this email from the Railway Touring Company. £44 for return steam over the S&C.

24 hour flash sale on Waverley tour this Sunday 16th August

Due to a cancellation of a large group booking we have seats available to sell at a special knockdown price of £25 off per person in any class on this Sundays Waverley tour to Carlisle.

In order to obtain your discount please quote code GNS when booking.

This offer is available to new bookings only and the flash sale will close at 14.00 hours tomorrow (Friday 14th August), so please book quickly to avoid disappointment.

For full details of the tour and to place a booking please use the link below:
http://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-day-trips/the-waverley-4

Kind regards

The Railway Touring Company

Last edited:

Rail Ranger

FTPE Club 55
First TransPennine Express are once again running their popular Club 55 promotion. This promotion is open to anyone aged 55 years or over at the time they are travelling. Proof of age must be available at time of travelling.
The tickets are valid for journeys that are wholly on First Transpennine Express (FTPE) services. They are available in both First and Standard class and are valid for travel on any FTPE services timed to depart at
or after 09:30 Monday to Friday and at anytime on weekends. This restriction is for both outward and return travel. Tickets are available for outward travel on dates between 14/09/2015 and 14/11/2015 and return journeys must be
made within one month of the outward date on the ticket. Tickets are priced on a 2 zone system with the first zone being a journey between any 2 stations in the North of England, and these are priced at £39 First class and £19 Standard class. The second zone includes any Scottish station and these are priced at £59 First class and £29 Standard class. There is a further 20% discount for Senior, qualifying Disabled and two together (where both are 55 years or over) railcard holders. These tickets are not quota controlled. Reservations are available but are not compulsory.

Refunds/Break of Journey.
Normal refund conditions apply.
Break of journey is allowed on both outward and return journeys.

Looking likely that there's going to be a Virgin Trains East Coast seat sale starting 24th August! (Apologies if already mentioned!).

westv

Established Member
Looking likely that there's going to be a Virgin Trains East Coast seat sale starting 24th August! (Apologies if already mentioned!).
Wasn't the last one a bit mean with what was available? Nothing was available on my route to Hull (there were plenty on previous sales)

Last edited:

firespire

Let a tenner take you further with our special £10 traveller tickets. All the way to London, Bristol, Bath and many more selected destinations. Tickets available from 1 September to 19 September 2015, for travel from 1 October 2015.

Came through email from them, no further details at this stage.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Let a tenner take you further with our special £10 traveller tickets. All the way to London, Bristol, Bath and many more selected destinations. Tickets available from 1 September to 19 September 2015, for travel from 1 October 2015.

Came through email from them, no further details at this stage.

At a rough guess it will be £10 advance fares for certain routes, but not for the one you want ;)

Starmill

Veteran Member
The end of summer is usually a good time for Rail Sales, leisure travel can dip a bit with colder days and poorer weather before the Christmas rush. I hope the EC sale offers the £20 First tickets London - Yorkshire. If it does I'm in the market for 3 or 4 :p

MKD

At a rough guess it will be £10 advance fares for certain routes, but not for the one you want ;)

The end of summer is usually a good time for Rail Sales, leisure travel can dip a bit with colder days and poorer weather before the Christmas rush. I hope the EC sale offers the £20 First tickets London - Yorkshire. If it does I'm in the market for 3 or 4 :p

Got the details of the Virgin Trains East Coast sale from a link on the Nectar App where apparently Nectar card holders get in a day ahead of others!
per:
http://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/yeahbaby

£10 London - Leeds/York (£25 1st)
£15 London - Newcastle (£35 1st)
£20 London - Edinburgh (£40 1st)

Book from Mon 24/8 [exclusive to Nectar card holders] otherwise from Tue 25/8 to Fri 28/8
Travel from Sat 5 Sep to Fri 13 Nov
Except Sep: Sat/Sun 26-27 and Oct: Sat/Sun 3-4 Fri/Sat 9-10 Fri 23-Sun 1/11.

Seems as if North of Edinburgh = hard luck :(

Plus: Nectar holders - check through the bonus offers on the Nectar site as there's also a competition to opt into to win 1st class tickets when making bookings on East Coast by 7/9.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Oh, I see. That's how it is Virgin :p This sale was regularly £5 Standard, £20 First. £10 is more than I usually pay with a railcard, and so is £25 for First. Clearly they thought that deal was just a little too good! Effective for non-railcard holders it will continue to be. But it no longer really ahakes things up in the way it used to!