• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern to Waterloo Mainline (29/8~1/9/17, next Xmas 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
This situation with routes/drivers sounds farsicle but when push comes to shuv on the day, to me, a passenger and enthusiast the white collars in their offices mean nothing, its the hard working drivers that matter and I dont agree with penny pinching in this way when hundreds of pax safety is on the line, Id rather they didnt run anything at all rather than expect miricals like this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Malcolmffc

Presumably the new international concourse will have lifts down to the LU level, thus providing step free access to at least the Waterloo &City Line via the ramp?

Class 466

Established Member
Extremely naive planning is a polite way of putting it. The Waterloo blockade only needs to run over by a day and there's going to be chaos at Waterloo, Waterloo east, London bridge and Charing cross.

Almost as stupid as having a franchise change for the first time in 21 years and the biggest engineering work blockade at the busiest passenger station in the country in decades both take place at the same time.

Not sure if it's the the monty python school of management or a script for a new carry on film.

Given CHX, WAE & LBG will be closed to SE services, I fail to see how it will cause 'Chaos' there. There is contingency in the form of a spare platform & Paths at Victoria should this block overrun. It's not naieve planning at all - then again, People don't know that unless they do the job!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Presumably the new international concourse will have lifts down to the LU level, thus providing step free access to at least the Waterloo &City Line via the ramp?

Yes, planning drawings on the local authority website show various lifts and stairs for more direct routes down to the Bakerloo/Northern ticket hall areas, but I'd expect that they won't all be finished for this August. The fit out works are known to be continuing from this September to December 2018 after all.

From what I can see so far the new overall roof section that will cover the gap between the old and the international roof hasn't been started either...

Movements have appeared on RTT. There's a single movement to and from Grove Park CSD to Waterloo tomorrow, as per RTT: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...0/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=SE

There's a few more exciting ones on Tuesday, that look like they're using Blackfriars bays as a quick way to bounce to and from Waterloo through the day: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...1/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=SE

Finding them is pretty easy when all you have to do is pick SE as the TOC.

Veteran Member
Last edited:

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I'm slightly surprised there isn't a discussion about this already, but between the dates of the 29th of August and 1st of September, it would appear that Southeastern will be borrowing Waterloo Mainline as a diversionary terminus whilst the London Bridge blockade is underway.

I originally assumed this was some kind of error, but I've had several people confirm this now, and publicity appears to have been updated to quietly include this information.

It looks like someone in the planning department has remembered that the Waterloo curve off of the Chatham line actually still exists. What I'm not currently sure about is: Which services will actually serve Waterloo? North Kent services will likely continue to use Cannon Street and/or Blackfriars, but as Victoria probably cannot take all the slack like it normally does during engineering weekends, I would imagine that it would be down to the Hastings services, and the Dover services.

This is just guesswork - the timetables aren't likely to be published until June, and I don't know what kind of driver training or familiarisation is going on in the background in preparation.

Whether this is just a once-in-a-lifetime change, or a potential trial run of future engineering/disruption contingencies, I'm sure a few spotters would like to get down there when this is happening.

I thought it was 26th August -1st September that's what it says in the SWT booklet I got.

Class 170101

Established Member
Interestingly one of the videos indicates that only Platforms 21 and 22 are to be used. Why not 23 and 24 as well especially as they open only the week before for SWT services?

hwl

Established Member
Interestingly one of the videos indicates that only Platforms 21 and 22 are to be used. Why not 23 and 24 as well especially as they open only the week before for SWT services?

At 2tph 1 platform and 1 spare is enough, helps keep the amount of training required down...
Also only 1 set of platform staff required as 21/22 is one platform island.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Surely they open for SWT's services on the 5th August, at the start of the 3 week blockade? That's the reason for them being available.

Agree that only 2 platforms will be needed though, as above.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Suppose you could have just helpfully provided the link without adding the patronising comment as well.....

But I already did, a few days ago, and only a few posts back on the previous page, in reply to the exact same poster.

I therefore put it to my learned friend that providing the link alone sometimes fails to have the expected effect... :)

Last edited:

MatthewRead

On Moderation
But I already did, a few days ago, and only a few posts back on the previous page, in reply to the exact same poster.

I therefore put it to my learned friend that providing the link alone sometimes fails to have the expected effect... :)
I was hoping to film some 375's at Vauxhall on 2nd September but there're not running that day:(

hwl

Established Member
Why would there be no need they do engineering works on the weekend don't they?

The normal Saturday (or Sunday) service doesn't have lots of peak hour extras for commuters that the Mon-Friday timetables have hence no need to divert and re-time non existent trains on Saturdays!

The other SE termini can cope with modified engineering work timetables at the weekends but not during the week hence the Waterloo diversion being that Tuesday to Friday only (the Monday is a bank holiday)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The normal Saturday (or Sunday) service doesn't have lots of peak hour extras for commuters that the Mon-Friday timetables have hence no need to divert and re-time non existent trains on Saturdays!

The other SE termini can cope with modified engineering work timetables at the weekends but not during the week hence the Waterloo diversion being that Tuesday to Friday only (the Monday is a bank holiday)

Also, future routine weekend engineering work on the London Bridge approaches would never normally be arranged to take out all 8 approach tracks at once. This is effectively the sort of one-off situation that is extremely unlikely to happen again for generations...

hwl

Established Member
Also, future routine weekend engineering work on the London Bridge approaches would never normally be arranged to take out all 8 approach tracks at once. This is effectively the sort of one-off situation that is extremely unlikely to happen again for generations...

But they aren't taking out 8 tracks, Cannon Street in open all that week! (the 8 would include the 2 in service CST tracks, 4 currently non extant or operational tracks (2 thameslink, 1 CHX *, 1CST tracks that aren't finished yet). Of the current 4 tracks on the through side only 2 are closed durin the blockade
* Comes into service after the blockade.
Closing CHX at the weekends is a regular occurrence during the Thameslinlk programme and can be accommodated elsewhere at the weekend but not during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.