• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break Journey on Underground Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith300

Quick question

I have a through ticket Bath to Cricklewood with a London transfer - so Paddington to Farringdon.

Is it possible to break the journey at another zone 1 station ie get out and then get back in a few hours later.

If not is it possible to start the underground portion at Oxford Circus or does it have to start at Paddington?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Quick question

I have a through ticket Bath to Cricklewood with a London transfer - so Paddington to Farringdon.

Is it possible to break the journey at another zone 1 station ie get out and then get back in a few hours later.

If not is it possible to start the underground portion at Oxford Circus or does it have to start at Paddington?

You can get out during a cross London transfer - but you'll probably have to ask barrier staff as the ticket won't work the gates except at listed transfer stations. You cannot enter the LU system a second time according to the rules.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can get out during a cross London transfer - but you'll probably have to ask barrier staff as the ticket won't work the gates except at listed transfer stations. You cannot enter the LU system a second time according to the rules.
This is correct. When crossing London by Underground your ticket will not work in the gates except at the list of stations here and you will have to ask the staff to let you out. Your ticket will then not be valid for future Tube journeys and you will have to pay for tickets to the London Terminal from which you are leaving, or walk/hire a Boris Bike to get there.

Even if you, say, walk from Farringdon to Oxford Circus having not used the Tube yet, you will not be able to enter the system there.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Break of journey is not allowed however LU have a sensible policy in that they will allow you out, but you cannot then get back in. This is the correct and sensible way to deal with 'finishing short' when 'break of journey' is not permitted.

You'll have to walk (1.7 miles) from Oxford Circus to King's Cross, or pay to take a bus or tube (you may want to get an Oyster card if you don't fancy walking or paying high cash fares!)

RJ

Established Member
As I understand it, tickets marked with a Maltese Cross will allow the holder to exit at any Tube station, but re-entry is prohibited and a new ticket is required to complete the transfer. A single ticket purchased for the Tube doesn't permit break of journey and the same principle applies to X London tickets, regardless of the ticket's restrictions out on the main network.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The ticket won't work in the gates at Oxford Circus, you will have to show it to the member of staff who will let you out.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Any Zone 1 Tube station, I think.

The Maltese cross works the barriers automatically at the nominated interchange stations only:

Aldgate, Amersham, Baker Street, Balham, Bank, Barking
Blackfriars (replaced temporarily by Temple and Mansion House)
Blackhorse Road, Canada Water, Cannon Street, Charing Cross
Ealing Broadway, Edgware Road, Elephant & Castle, Embankment
Euston, Euston Square, Farringdon, Finsbury Park, Greenwich,
Highbury & Islington, Kensington Olympia, Kentish Town,
Kings Cross / St Pancras, Lancaster Gate, Lewisham,
Limehouse, Liverpool Street, London Bridge, Marylebone,
Moorgate, Old Street, Paddington, Queens Park, Richmond,
Seven Sisters, Shadwell, Shepherds Bush, Southwark,
Stratford, Tottenham Hale, Tower Hill, Upminster, Vauxhall,
Victoria, Walthamstow Central, Waterloo, West Brompton,
West Ham, West Hampstead, Whitechapel, Wimbledon,
Woolwich Arsenal.

'Any zone 1' is quite inaccurate, as it turns out.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
'Any zone 1' is quite inaccurate, as it turns out.
It wasn't stated that they will work the barriers at any Z1 station, it was stated that exit will be allowed at any Z1 station. This sounds plausible, and if it is incorrect I'm sure someone like Daniel or Mojo will be along to correct it shortly...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It wasn't stated that they will work the barriers at any Z1 station, it was stated that exit will be allowed at any Z1 station. This sounds plausible, and if it is incorrect I'm sure someone like Daniel or Mojo will be along to correct it shortly...

Yes I was confused by RJ's point about 'any tube station'. But anyway, it's still a list of where the barriers should be happy to operate automatically...

But if you happen to use your cross London transfer from a remote point such as Amersham, surely you should be ok to leave the system 'on request' at any station between 'appropriate transfer points' for your mainline journey, not just in zone 1...

jsmith300

Thanks guys for all the input. In the end I used my oyster to get from paddington to oxford circus and then asked a member of staff to let me back in using my train ticket and he agreed. Ticket never worked in any of barriers after this because guard had stamped the black strip on the back so machine couldnt read It!!!!

Daniel

Established Member
T&R said:
Tickets displaying the ‘cross-London’ marker (‘†’) are valid for travel between any two of the following Underground and DLR stations appropriate to the route of the through journey:

Aldgate
Amersham
Baker Street
Balham
Bank
Barking
Blackfriars (Underground station closed until late 2011)
Blackhorse Road
Canada Water
Cannon Street
Charing Cross
Ealing Broadway
Edgware Road
Elephant & Castle
Embankment
Euston
Euston Square
Farringdon
Finsbury Park
Greenwich (DLR)
Highbury & Islington
Kensington Olympia
Kentish Town
Kings Cross/St Pancras
Lancaster Gate
Lewisham (DLR)
Limehouse
Liverpool Street
London Bridge
Mansion House**
Marylebone
Moorgate
Old Street
Paddington
Queens Park
Richmond
Seven Sisters
Shadwell
Shepherds Bush
Southwark
Stratford
Temple**
Tottenham Hale
Tower Hill
Upminster
Vauxhall
Victoria
Walthamstow Ctl
Waterloo
West Brompton
West Ham
West Hampstead
Whitechapel
Wimbledon
Woolwich Arsenal (DLR)

**Mansion House and Temple stations are valid inter-changes for cross-London journeys only for the period of the closure of Blackfriars Underground station.

The important bit for this discussion is:

Ticket holders may break their journey at an intermediate LU or DLR station, e.g. Canary Wharf, provided the ticket has not already been used to exit the Underground or DLR. However, if they subsequently continue their journey by LU or DLR, they must purchase the appropriate LU or DLR single ticket.

But please be aware:

T&R said:
Tickets valid for ‘cross-London’ transfers are governed by an Agreement between Train Companies and Transport for London which defines the interchange stations (shown above) that can be used. It does not simply allow passengers to transfer to Underground (or London Tramlink) services at any station where an interchange is physically possible. Customers interchanging at stations other than those covered by this Agreement may be subject to LU (or Tramlink) Penalty Fare regulations.

A common one I have relating to the above is those who attempt an interchange at Hendon Central to use Hendon Mainline. This is not covered by the above agreement and you can be penalty fared between Camden Town and Hendon Central.

For the purpose of the OP's question, you can exit at an intermediate station, but your ticket is valid for one journey only on the underground, so you'll have to buy a ticket to come back in.

Zoe

Established Member
Back in the 1990s on several journeys I made, the BR staff forgot to put the Maltase Cross on and so LU refused to accept the ticket. Does this still get done these days?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks guys for all the input. In the end I used my oyster to get from paddington to oxford circus and then asked a member of staff to let me back in using my train ticket and he agreed. Ticket never worked in any of barriers after this because guard had stamped the black strip on the back so machine couldnt read It!!!!
You're lucky he agreed with that. You should have used the ticket from Paddington, and Oyster from Oxford Circus!
Back in the 1990s on several journeys I made, the BR staff forgot to put the Maltase Cross on and so LU refused to accept the ticket. Does this still get done these days?
I once used a Grantham-Stroud which had LONDON as a permitted route, and armed myself with the relevant documentation and argued with barrier staff at KGX. One of them refused to budge, the other said "He's right" to his colleague and then they both let me through. No argument at Paddington as there is (or was!) a way to avoid the barrier when interchanging. No way would I pay if I am already valid. I also had a discussion with someone who didn't accept a NOT LONDON ticket when all the Voyagers were put out of service for a day, but when I said 'Haven't you seen the news?' and explained, she apologised as she'd just booked on and hadn't read any notices, and let me through.

If you want to use LU when you don't have a '+' but are valid, then prepare yourself for a discussion with barrier staff, and bring relevant documentation if appropriate. They're not all up to Daniel's high standards ;)

Daniel

Established Member
They're not all up to Daniel's high standards ;)

^.^ Why thank you.

If you want to use LU when you don't have a '+' but are valid, then prepare yourself for a discussion with barrier staff, and bring relevant documentation if appropriate.

*ahem*.. unless you're one of those unfortunate persons who bought a ticket from TheTrainLine a few months ago, where tickets which should have had the + didn't have it printed. It was decided that they were invalid, not valid for travel on LU, and new tickets should be purchased, and subsequently claimed back from TTL...!

Status
Not open for further replies.