• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
How large an area are you considering? I know that the last place of note was New Zealand, but there have been numerous lesser places since.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Actually, you did very well, as this was the second latest date in the report that I read. I will reveal the answer as it may be too difficult in its precise geographical area.

The area concerned was the extreme north-west area of the Lop Nur region of the Tarim Basin region of northern China, where mountain passes were not present and was surrounded by a dried salt basin. Chinese dynastic writings showed that there was mythical animistic fear of entering that region that had been handed down over the generations.

I will now declare OPEN FLOOR.

EM2

Established Member
I'll post a quick one, which will probably be guessed by the time I get up (if not by the time I go to bed!) :D

Where is the quote in my forum signature from?

Ivo

Established Member
Knowing that I have no chance at getting this right otherwise, I have attempted to Google the answer - but er...

Attachments

• That didn't work....png
    That didn't work....png
    41.2 KB · Views: 17

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Where is the quote in my forum signature from?

I have no idea what the answer is but I'm eagerly awaiting the answer as I've occasionally wondered the meaning behind your signature (and upon googling I've had similar problems to Ivo :lol:).

gnolife

Established Member
That would be Train Pirates, one of the episodes of the Wrong Door that was on BBC a few years back.

The pirates are in a battle with revenue peoples when the "this is madness" is said.

gnolife

Established Member
In Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy-in-five-parts, a character disappears during a hyperspace jump after the end of So Long And Thanks For All The Fish, but before Mostly Harmless starts. Name the character, and also state the origin of this characters name.

Buttsy

Established Member
Arthur's girlfriend Fenchurch, who was named as such as she was conceived in the ticket queue at Fenchurch Street station.

Buttsy

Established Member
Which TV series starred James Bolam, Dudley Sutton & Barbara Flynn and name all 3 runs of this show.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The titles were based on the jazz music played by the cornetist Bix Beiderbecke....

The Beiderbecke Affair
The Beiderbecke Tapes
The Beiderbecke Connection

Great favourite TV viewing for both my wide and myself in the mid-1980's and we have digitally re-recorded DVD of all three.

Buttsy

Established Member
Correct Paul. I'm watching them again on DVD at the moment.

'Sounded like silver bullets being shot from a bell'

Oswyntail

Established Member
Keeping on a slightly classic theme:-
What do Xenophon's "Constitution of the Athenians", Euripides play "Rhesus", and Albinoni's "Adagio for Strings" have in common (other than that they are all on my shelves!)?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A brief aside....

If you see from my avatar, Xenophon has always featured there, as he was multi-faceted in his talents, though it his philosophy that I admire. There are grave doubts as to his writing of this work you describe as he would have been somewhat of a child prodigy to have written this from the supposed date. ("The Persian Expedition" is my favourite writing by him, describing the march of the army, amongst other matters, on that military expedition).

I await Golghar to set a good new one....

Oswyntail

Established Member
Paul,
For interest I prefer the Hellenica as it covers one of the most fascinating periods of Greek history. The alternative author of the Constitution was traditionally given as the "Old Oligarch", which made him sound a jolly old cove, belied by his writing.
Sadly, fewer and fewer people will have any idea what we are writing about.