• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orange high-vis = criminal ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash is basically a criminal anyway, so it won't affect him too much when he's "fixing" the tracks.

P156KWJ

Established Member
Staff at St Pancras international wear turquoise hi-viz, looks revolting. The people from Clegg construction (shame it's not clag ;)) wear multi coloured ones!

Established Member
Look on the brightside maybe it will stop people turning up to pres lines in Hi-Vi's or wearing them when photting in the middle of fields despite the fact they have nothing to do with the railway but think it makes them look important!

EE Type 3

Established Member
Look on the brightside maybe it will stop people turning up to pres lines in Hi-Vi's or wearing them when photting in the middle of fields despite the fact they have nothing to do with the railway but think it makes them look important!

Oh. My. God.

You will not believe how annoying that is. People who wear hi-vis everywhere, on the station, lineside, on road bridges, it gets on my tree. And it's even worse when they get in your shot. :roll::|

Established Member
People who wear hi-vis everywhere.....it gets on my tree.

I once saw some pillock wearing a hi-vi while in a tree at the MRC photting, while he probably thought it made him look important it made everyone on the train chuckle!

EE Type 3

Established Member
and/or avatar :p

:lol::roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I once saw some pillock wearing a hi-vi while in a tree at the MRC photting, while he probably thought it made him look important it made everyone on the train chuckle!

Quality quoting there :lol:

At the SVR Steam Gala, there was a gallery on the Bewdly side of Foley Park tunnel, all right side of the fence, all in hi-vis, in the baking hot sun! :shock::roll:

Tom B

Established Member
Personally, I think the impact of hi-vis clothing has been lessened by the number of people who wear it - OK, sensible to have a driver on the track wearing a hi-vi, or a builder, or a cyclist - but you often see (say) builders nowhere near a building site, in hi-vis, or a bus driver wearing one whilst in the cab... if over-used, people begin to see them as "something that is just... there" and not notice them.

TheSlash

Established Member
I'm actually in agreement with Tom :shock:
My gripe with HV clothing is people who think it acts as a forcefield, ie "If i wear lots of orange, the train will steer round me"
Also as Tom says, too many people wear it for no good reason. When you do your driving test, the examiner sits in the passenger seat wearing an HV :roll:
Another one is drivers of road rail machines. They seem to wear HV in the cab, despite not setting foot on the ballast

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When they were still building the shopping centre in Bristol, I once went into McDonalds for breakfast and everyone was looking at me. I later realised that I was the only customer in there not wearing a yellow hi-vis :lol:

ungreat

First Capital Connect wear pink...

Since when? Apart from the ghastly shirts/pink doors/neck things etc

FCC Hi Viz vest are orange,like ALL staff's HV clothing who go trackside

mrcheek

Established Member
what gets me are those people who wear hi-vis clothing while walking down the street, even though in their entire lives they never have any use for it!

P156KWJ

Established Member
what gets me is people who wear it for jobs like dustcart driving :shock: at a real real push you could say the actual binmen have to so that it's not just some randomer stealing your recycling for some reason, but then again, HV is available everywhere :roll:

rmt

When they were still building the shopping centre in Bristol, I once went into McDonalds for breakfast and everyone was looking at me. I later realised that I was the only customer in there not wearing a yellow hi-vis :lol:

I did that the morning of the Alloa Alloer tour. There was more yellow in there than an explosion at a custard factory.

devon_metro

Established Member
what gets me is people who wear it for jobs like dustcart driving :shock: at a real real push you could say the actual binmen have to so that it's not just some randomer stealing your recycling for some reason, but then again, HV is available everywhere :roll:

You'll probably find that they have to wear a Yellow high viz by law due to them working on the roads ;)

mbonwick

Established Member
what gets me are those people who wear hi-vis clothing while walking down the street, even though in their entire lives they never have any use for it!

You could argue that my parents do that when they see me down to the bus stop in the morning. However, given that it's 0715 in the morning, it does help the bus driver see us & stop :)

me123

Established Member
Sadly, this is a true advert :lol:

It's like something out of "The Apprentice".

me123

Established Member
That's what I found really odd. Unless I could smell petrol or had reason to believe that the car could explode, I would not leave the car until help arrived. And even then, I wouldn't be in a rush to uplift my hi-vis.

P156KWJ

Established Member
You'll probably find that they have to wear a Yellow high viz by law due to them working on the roads ;)

But if drivers don't need them, why do binmen? :? How would a piece of clothing prevent a reasonable enough number to prove that they do make a difference? just wondering, not getting at you Liam!

I think we should watch this to know how to make ourselves safe ;)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d4n-amRJeyw

BJMorley

I wear it on the Indigo to Long Eaton, I've got to say I get the wrong bus to stop!!! :lol: :lol:

Established Member
Er, why do they all get out of the car, if Dad's just changing a wheel?
It's because of the danger of being on the hard shoulder. If you stay in the car and someone crashes into it at 70MPH, it's not going to be a pretty sight. Hence why the advice is to get everyone out and onto the embankment, away from the car if you have to stop there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.