• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
I can't think of a river that naturally crosses itself, however your question reminded me of an aquaduct on the Pecos River in New Mexico (I think), built so that the local farmers could tap the water in the river. AIUI the aquaduct circles round and crosses the river.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I can't think of a river that naturally crosses itself, however your question reminded me of an aquaduct on the Pecos River in New Mexico (I think), built so that the local farmers could tap the water in the river. AIUI the aquaduct circles round and crosses the river.

I was going to give the answer Tamarrow (Saturday) but now that would be 0 use as you are absolutely correct, google the Carlsbad Flume for more info' and a streaming video.

Thanks for saving me from having to think up any more puns (although I had a few in reserve including the Hawaiian Goose), it's now your turn...

deltic1989

Established Member
Oh wow. I was so convinced I would be wrong I didn't prepare a question, or come back. Sorry for the delay, however it's an open floor.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Well they are cloud chamber tracks of alpha and beta particles and gamma rays superimposed on a tear(?), could it be for survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs?

TheEdge

Established Member
Was it given to the response workers after Chernobyl? (Guess).

Correct, it was the medal awarded to those who had to clean up the immediate aftermath of the Chernobyl disaster, many with no idea what they were really dealing with.

fowler9

Established Member
Jesus, didn't expect that to be right, ha ha.

What connects the Falklands War, Arthurian Legend and the Iraqi port of Um Qasr and if you can why?

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
I assume its something to do with (one specific?) member(s) of the Round Table class of ships of the RFA

TheEdge

Established Member
Sir Bedivere then, no idea why. But I won't try again as now it's just listing the whole class.

fowler9

Established Member
Sir Bedivere then, no idea why. But I won't try again as now it's just listing the whole class.

Fraid not mate. If you get the right Knight Of The Round Table there are photos on the Wikipedia entry relevant to my question.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
It's not HMAS Tobruk is it?

Nah mate, getting colder.

If you get the ship/name and not the connection you can still have it. The name is a Knight of the Round table and a ship that was in the Falklands and also a ship that was in Um Qasr in the second Gulf War.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
I see now, hopefully.

Sir Galahad. Sir Galahad (I) was the ship sunk in Bluff Cove and was replaced with Sir Galahad (II) was built as a replacement and was involved in the Second Gulf War.

fowler9

Established Member
I see now, hopefully.

Sir Galahad. Sir Galahad (I) was the ship sunk in Bluff Cove and was replaced with Sir Galahad (II) was built as a replacement and was involved in the Second Gulf War.

Afraid not.

Only kidding. Spot on. The replacement Sir Galahad was the first ship to dock at Um Qasr to drop off humanitarian aid during the second Gulf War after having a path cleared for it by minesweepers. As far as I know it was in fact the first big ship to dock there at all but that said I am not sure how the Marines who cleared the dockyard first got there. Either way when my mate arrived there on Sir Galahad he said whoever was there before appeared to have left pretty quickly.

The round table is yours. :D

TheEdge

Established Member
Excellent, lets stay in the South Atlantic.

A particular Monty Python song was famously sung during/after an event during the Falklands War. Which song and when?

TheEdge

Established Member
Zapp Brannigan, The Velour Fog had an actor audition for the role who Matt Groening said "nailed it". Who was it and why didn't he take the part?

DaleCooper

Established Member
What about Tim Allen? He played a spaceship captain in Galaxy Quest so he was qualified to tell Kif how to drive the Nimbus and destroy peaceful civilisations but he was involved with Toy Story at the time playing Buzz Lightyear which would have been a clash of characters.