• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martinsh

Established Member
Until recently who was the only woman to be listed in Wisden's "Births & Deaths of Cricketers" ?

NB I will accept either her name or her relationship to a well known cricketer

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Must be WG Grace mother? Was going to say Enid Bakewell but she is very much alive & at the England womens match today!

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There are a lot of programmes on at the moment about 1967 , Sgt Pepper , flower power etc. Which song often associated with that era was derided by those who were its subject and pretty much finished the career of its singer. Name the singer & song.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I'm annoyed at not knowing this as it's very much my era however I seem to remember some redneck American (C&W?) singer recording a song about the evils of long hair, flowers, peace etc., am I on the right track?

martinsh

Established Member
There are a lot of programmes on at the moment about 1967 , Sgt Pepper , flower power etc. Which song often associated with that era was derided by those who were its subject and pretty much finished the career of its singer. Name the singer & song.

San Francisco - Scott MacKenzie ?

I'm annoyed at not knowing this as it's very much my era however I seem to remember some redneck American (C&W?) singer recording a song about the evils of long hair, flowers, peace etc., am I on the right track?

I thing the one you're thinking of Mr Cooper is "Okie from Muskogee" by Merle Haggard

theageofthetra

On Moderation
San Fransisco by Scott Mckenzie is correct. He was booed at Monterey & the song pretty much ended his career. The hippies really thought they could change the world & they thought his song made light of them. Your cosmic happening man...

krus_aragon

Established Member
Let's flesh the question out with some extra clues:

Identify/explain the following well-known sequence:

1: (T*****) Blue
2: (E*****) Blue
3: (H****) Green
4: (G*****) Blue
5: (J****) Red
6: (P****) Green
7: (T***) Brown
8: (D***) Green

Calthrop

Established Member
If I might submit the following:

Who was it who commented on Sir Christopher Wren’s new St. Paul’s Cathedral, when it was indeed very new; that it was “awful, amusing and artificial”? (Per proper 17th-century English usage -- the bod was praising, not “dissing” it.)

t_star2001uk

If I might submit the following:

Who was it who commented on Sir Christopher Wren’s new St. Paul’s Cathedral, when it was indeed very new; that it was “awful, amusing and artificial”? (Per proper 17th-century English usage -- the bod was praising, not “dissing” it.)

My guess is King Charles II...

open floor if correct