RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Closed Thread

Old 22nd April 2010, 02:57   #1
EWS 58038

Default London to Amsterdam in 4 hours. Would you board the train?

What if there were three daily direct services between London and Amsterdam taking aprox. 4 hours for the complete journey... would you board the train?

Specification:
- Train type: Siemens Velaro (better knows as ICE 3)
- Service pattern: Morning, afternoon, evening (both ways)
- Intermediate calling points: Ashford (board only), Lille, Rotterdam (Alight only), Amsterdam (Alight only)
- Fare structure: Same as airlines do with a single starting at 49 pounds one way.
- Service level: Tea and coffee is for free on first and standard class, first class get 3 course meal at seat (included in price)

Train times: All times in local time
London to Amsterdam:
London Departures: 0700, 1230, 1800
Ashford Departures: 0730, 1300, 1830
Lille Arrivals/Departures: 0930, 1500, 2030
Rotterdam Arrivals: 1120, 1650, 2220
Amsterdam Arrivals: 1200, 1730, 2300

Amsterdam to London:
Amsterdam Departures: 0700, 1330, 1900
Rotterdam Departures: 0740, 1410, 1940
Lille Arrivals/Departures: 0940, 1610, 2140
Ashford Arrivals: 0930, 1600, 2130
London Arrivals: 0955, 1625, 2155

First London departure can be done at 0600 aswell if proven to be more popular

Would you use the service... and what do you think the maximum fare for the tcket should be?

Last edited by EWS 58038; 22nd April 2010 at 10:37.
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 22nd April 2010, 07:05   #2
j0hn0
Banned

would you be able to pass straight through Brussels and Antwerp?

Yeah I would use it, I've taken the benelux train on the "classic" route before and it was really slow. All ICE's coming into Brussels take an age to get to Midi station though, plus the administration at all stations needs to be thought about too.
Old 22nd April 2010, 07:19   #3
stut
Established Member

I certainly would - ICE3s are a pleasure to travel on at the best of times.

However, as I used to commute to Amsterdam weekly (by plane), I'm all too aware of how the city attracts a rather, er, excitable group of people over the weekend. Now, it's one thing coping with that in the over-the-top security of an airport, and the staffing visible on a plane, but I shudder to imagine what 4 hours in a carriage with some drunk stag weekenders would be like. Happens on the Newcastle trains too, but at least it's free seating...
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:40   #4
yorksrob
Veteran Member

Yes, I would - provided the fares were reasonable (not necessarily cheap).

I may be biased since I have a visceral loathing of flying though

With regards to the inevitable stag weekenders, perhaps they should have a special wipe-down carriage to which they could be confined!
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:24   #5
philjo
Established Member

I would use it.
4 hours is quicker than the current service. In order to make sure that you make the minimum 30 minute checkin time to eurostar at Brussels you have at least 90 minutes to wait on the way back due to the current arrival/departure times at Brussels.
It should also call at Schipol.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:35   #6
EWS 58038

Schiphol Airport station calls won't be possible I'm afraid as the station doesn't have the space required to facilitate the bagage scanning area. (The 6 platform station is located under the terminals)

And with 3 services a day I don't think Schiphol will be an atractive option for UK residents to travel to by train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hn0
would you be able to pass straight through Brussels and Antwerp?
Calling at Antwerp and Brussels would be direct competition with Eurostar and is not allowed under a Open Acces licence.

Last edited by EWS 58038; 22nd April 2010 at 10:40.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:36   #7
jamesontheroad
Established Member

You're probably asking in the wrong place... of course we'd take it

You should try going over to airliners.net or another plane-fan forum and asking there. Four hours city centre to city centre is approaching a very attractive threshold level for people frustrated with the city to airport commute, security, queues etc.
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:21   #8
stut
Established Member

Maybe they could finally realise that baggage scanners are pointless when you can just drive on to the train at Folkestone?

No, that would be just silly.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:18   #9
yorksrob
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesontheroad View Post
You're probably asking in the wrong place... of course we'd take it

You should try going over to airliners.net or another plane-fan forum and asking there.
But they'd be just as biased as we are
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:20   #10
gordonthemoron
Established Member

not much of a view out of the v.small windows on a plane. Even worse than a Pendolino
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:20   #11
me123
Established Member

Considering the huge number of people who take the (fantastic) P&O ferries to Rotterdam, I think you would have a market. The Londoners would probably make the switch (given that you would get roughly comparable end-end journey times for many I would imagine). Perhaps as you go further North, the ferries and planes would continue to be the first choice (as is still the case for Paris), but I do think it would be a worthwhile service if it were competitively priced.

The problem with the Northerners it that, yes it would be feasible for me to get to Amsterdam in a day, but flying is considerably quicker. If, like me, you wouldn't fly, P&O's excellent ferry service allows you to cross the North Sea through the night and breaks up the journey. But certainly London-Amsterdam would be fantastic.

I would also like to see it call at Schipol, to facilitate transfers onto air travel. KLM have a fantastic worldwide service. But I appreciate that logistics may deter this operation.

Last edited by me123; 23rd April 2010 at 11:26.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:47   #12
Max
Admaxistrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by me123 View Post
The problem with the Northerners it that, yes it would be feasible for me to get to Amsterdam in a day, but flying is considerably quicker. If, like me, you wouldn't fly, P&O's excellent ferry service allows you to cross the North Sea through the night and breaks up the journey. But certainly London-Amsterdam would be fantastic.
Very true. If, like me, you live within about an hour and a half (or even 15 mins away ) from the docks in Hull, it's much easier to take the overnight ferry than be faffing around with travelling down to London. P&O do very competitively priced minicruises too.
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:38   #13
me123
Established Member

To be honest, Max, I'd rather drive to Hull (about 5 hours-about the same time as a train to London) and then take the ferry than go by train to London. As great as the London trains are, I'd rather enjoy an evening with a bed on the boat than spend a whole day travelling.
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:44   #14
gordonthemoron
Established Member

you can also get the ferry from Newcastle to Ijmuiden (amsterdam)
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:58   #15
EWS 58038

Currently there is an average of 47 inbound flights from Greater London (all airports) to Amsterdam, and a equal number return flights. So I think there is a business case here...