• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW HST Diversions - December 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 33

Established Member
Would look rather funky if they do go non-stop through Salisbury. The way diversions should be, none of this stopping at 10,000 intermediate stations!

I don't see any reason why they should stop at Salisbury. I would have thought that the services to/from Waterloo would run non-stop between Westbury and Waterloo. Though I suppose I can see the point of them stopping at Woking for the rail-air link to Gatwick and Heathrow, instead of Reading.

If they stopped at Clapham Junction, Basingstoke, etc, though that would be a bit silly.

A nice fast non-stop run between Westbury and Waterloo would be nice. But it might not be possible as they might be slotted ro run just behind the Southampton/Poole/Weymouth services. And hence a slower run.

Either way though, will be very interesting.

ChampsRacing

That will deffinately be weird, there is me pulling in on p10 on my up suburban 455 and a hst goes past at clapham :lol:

thefab444

Established Member
A nice fast non-stop run between Westbury and Waterloo would be nice. But it might not be possible as they might be slotted ro run just behind the Southampton/Poole/Weymouth services. And hence a slower run.

Not so nice for people like me who want to bash these services though. ;)

The argument is a stop at Basingstoke for (road) connections to Reading. As you say, no reason why they should stop at Salisbury.

The Basingstoke call will facilitate a road connection to Reading (A33), Woking for the Heathrow coach link, perhaps the need to call at Clapham Jn is the Gatwick link.

The lack of a Salisbury call is more likely to do with pathing requirements than anything else.

Class 33

Established Member
So I was informed yesterday, as far as the trains between Bristol and London are concerned there will be just FOUR trains per day into Paddington and FOUR trains out of Paddington on these days.

metromuppet

So with these diversions, how long are we talking? I understand its the 27th its the Hounslow loop diversion but how long will the west of england services be going in and out of waterloo? Does it extend to the new year and/or weekends before? The FGW site does not give more info away as of yet apart from trains being diverted. I am assuming for all of the dates both running into waterloo and via Banbury (not for the same service obviously) will be happening or have I missed something?

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=4888

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Between Xmas and New Year only, its only during the blockade unless they have some other big ones in the pipeline.

Drsatan

Established Member
Sorry to be off topic, but what's going to happen to XC services during the Reading blockade? To avoid Reading they could be routed via Salisbury, Melksham, and Didcot before resuming normal service.

Any diverted HSTs should call at Salisbury so passengers wishing to go to Southampton and stations beyond can alight.

Dreadnought

Sorry to be off topic, but what's going to happen to XC services during the Reading blockade? To avoid Reading they could be routed via Salisbury, Melksham, and Didcot before resuming normal service.

Any diverted HSTs should call at Salisbury so passengers wishing to go to Southampton and stations beyond can alight.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they will terminate services at Basingstoke from the South and Didcot from Birmingham during the blockade with buses in between these 2 locations.

Zoe

Established Member
I'm sure I read somewhere that they will terminate services at Basingstoke from the South and Didcot from Birmingham during the blockade with buses in between these 2 locations.
If only the DNS was still open.

Drsatan

Established Member

That's ridiculous given that any XC services can be routed via Salisbury, Melksham and Didcot. The Melksham line is only used by two trains a day so pathing will not be an issue.

Voyagers are cleared as far as Laverstock South Junction on the Salisbury line but I'm not sure whether they're cleared for operation to Trowbridge, and thence through Melksham onto the GWML at Chippenham.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Voyagers arent cleared between Westbury and Wilton Jn. Can't see XC wanting to get that sorted and either getting pilotmen or route learning done for 5 days.

turbo mick

According to the news letter we got from work

Swansea and Bristol services are the only ones going to padd with diversion via banbury and new line and DBS pilotman i think

West country services seem only going to basingstoke and theale but dont quote me on that

XC didcot-birmingham
XC basingstoke-bournemouth with bus service from didcot-winchester

So, excuse me for asking the question, I can't make much sense from all the posts and I don't have great route-working knowledge. Will these HST's be running through Exeter Central - Honiton - Yeovil etc...?

Thanks

Class 33

Established Member
The timetables for these services during this period are now available to view. And it's pretty much an hourly service into and out of Paddington for Bristol services, whilst for services to/from the West of England into and out of London Waterloo the services are just a little more limited.

A 3 hour 12 minute journey between Bristol and London Paddington! And 2 hours 59 minutes the other way around. Westbury and London Waterloo 2 hours 40 mins, 2 hours 30 mins in the other direction....

Go have a look at the timetables in a bit more detail and start planning what journeys you're going to book up for.

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
The timetables for these services during this period are now available to view. And it's pretty much an hourly service into and out of Paddington for Bristol services, whilst for services to/from the West of England into and out of London Waterloo the services are just a little more limited.

A 3 hour 12 minute journey between Bristol and London Paddington! And 2 hours 59 minutes the other way around. Westbury and London Waterloo 2 hours 40 mins, 2 hours 30 mins in the other direction....

Go have a look at the timetables in a bit more detail and start planning what journeys you're going to book up for.

Do you have the link?

Class 33

Established Member
Clarification to my posting. Not timetables in a timetable like format. But just go onto the FGW site and do a search for the journeys you're after(i.e. Taunton-London Paddington) and it will give you the times of these services and how long they take.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The timings of these services have now surprisingly been taken off all the train booking websites, with the message "We're sorry but it's not possible to book more than 12 weeks in advance". Even though it is less than 12 weeks till December 27th!

I expect they must be making some changes again to the timetables for these special services. The full timetable/timings should surely be available to view within the next 2-3 weeks though.

thefab444

Established Member
Well, at the moment this is what is showing for the Waterloo diversions for Wednesday 29th (similar on other days no doubt):

Attachments

• FGW-WaterlooDiversions-2812.pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 144

Death

Established Member
Hmmm...Time for me to save up for some interesting FGW workings, then! <D

That said; Looking at the times posted above by TheFab444, I notice that FGW calls at Basingstoke are for boarding only (Down services) and alighting only (Up trains). Now I know from previous experience that FGW do tend to get a bit squashed up during the peaks...But surely it'd make a lot of sense for FGW to add 2-3 coaches to each HST set, which would allow these HST runs to carry their own weight plus SWTs passengers along that section, with SWT running their Salisbury/Weymouth/Southampton out of Basingstoke insted? :?:
That'd allow FGW to keep their usual half-hour service frequency. It'd also give them full use of the SWML fast lines (As all SWT traffic would be using the locals) and up the service speed to a little over the 120mph mark! <D

On a more minor note: Anyone reckon we could be seeing the old Eurostar terminal at Waterloo being used to accommodate the HSTs? Given how long my trains tend to have to wait for platforms at Waterloo nowadays (Only then to be signalled into a platform with an 8-car already in it) trying to fit HSTs in amongst the usual mess isn't going to work... :|

thefab444

Established Member
Booked to use platform 17 for the most part.

I think a 2 + 11 Mk3 HST might be a bit slow, not to mention too long for platforms at various places.

Dennis

Established Member
Also most commuters will be on their x-mas holidays so the usual peak hours won't be a problem with overcrowding.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...But surely it'd make a lot of sense for FGW to add 2-3 coaches to each HST set, which would allow these HST runs to carry their own weight plus SWTs passengers along that section, with SWT running their Salisbury/Weymouth/Southampton out of Basingstoke insted? :?:

Are you seriously suggesting SWT's normal long distance capacity between Waterloo and Basingstoke can be replaced by 2 or 3 coaches in each of two HSTs?

Each hour, Basingstoke sees calls by at least
One Weymouth - 5 or 10 car 444
One Exeter - 6 or 9 car 159
One Salisbury - 3 or 6 car 159
One Poole - 4, 8 or 12 car 450 or 5 car 444
One Portsmouth Harbour - as above

Admittedly loadings are lower between Christmas and New Year, but not that low...

route:oxford

Established Member
At least they get to stay aboard the train for the most-part rather than get decanted onto buses...

Just a shame that the Bicester-Curve hasn't been built yet, would have saved a bit of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.