• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail site manager defrauded £27k with fake train tickets on commute from Kent home to North London

Blackpool boy

This came up on my news feed today on yahoo.com and im not sure how to take the 'Honourable reasons' quote !

A rail construction worker who defrauded at least £27,000 using fake train tickets commuting from his Kent home to North London is facing jail. Rory Stickels was caught after a suspicious staff member at St Pancras railway station noticed his expired ticket, and then discovered nine other forgeries in his wallet on January 26 last year, Highbury Magistrates heard on Monday (May 13).

The 45-year-old construction worker, of Queens Road, Romney, wore a grey polo and blue jeans as he appeared in the dock, holding back tears as details of his 'desperation' for a cheaper commute were heard.

The divorced dad was employed for Network Rail through an agency while he was living in Kent, and had 'fallen on hard times', according to prosecutor Zahid Hussain.

"Because of the expense incurred, he made a foolish decision to use what he described as a fraudulent forged ticket to commute to and from home into London, from London back home," said Mr Hussain, explaining how a 'discrepancy' was found on an out of date ticket, which then led a rail worker to find nine more fakes, dating back to 2019, inside the builder's wallet.

Mr Hussain said Stickels was supplied by 'a third party' every time his fake ticket expired until he was caught and handed over to British Transport Police. The cost of a real season ticket, from Ashford International to St Pancras (the route used by Stickels), ranges from between £6,000 to £9,000 for high-speed services.

The estimated financial cost was between £27,000 to £66,000, placing the offence at harm level that gives a starting point of three years in prison. Mr Hussain called for the case to be dealt with at the crown court.

A probation officer told the court Stickels had appeared 'upset and tearful' throughout his probation interview. But she said he maintained he was not aware the ticket was a fake after purchasing them from someone at work who themselves allegedly knew a corrupt person in the ticketing office.

"It was during the time he was lamenting the difficulty of his daily drive that someone offered him the tickets at a discounted rate. He told me he paid them around £1,000 a year. He told me he was aware they were not 100 per cent legitimate, but he did not know they were forged," said the probation officer.

She explained Stickels had done it to 'lighten the burden' on his finances, following an 'acrimonious' divorce in 2008 and the death of his father. Stickels, who lives at home, had since remarried and supports up to eight children between two mothers, though not all are his.

Stickels lost his railway job but has since regained a construction job, which earns him £800 a week. The probation worker also said 'he regrets his actions' and now understands the impact of the fraud on the train company and the effect it has on ticket prices.

'Honourable reasons'​

Defence counsel Stuart Mills said his client committed the fraud 'for honourable reasons in order to work' so he could cover the costs of his 'extensive responsibilities. Mr Mills also said it was a 'disgrace' the case had taken over a year to get to court, with the impending prosecution 'hanging over' Stickels and causing him depression and anxiety.

Floating the question of whether Stickels should have just resigned from his job in London, rather than engage in a series of frauds, Mr Mills said it would have presented 'a difficult situation'. He also argued there was no 'abuse of position' by Stickels, as he had not been directly employed by Network Rail.

Asking the magistrates to deal with Stickels in the lower court, Mr Mills argued the offences could be dealt with by a suspended sentence and unpaid work. The magistrates were persuaded the sentence would be significantly reduced by the mitigation, but concluded the offences were so serious they could only be dealt with in the crown court.

"It's outside the powers of this court to deal with you. Depending on the length of the sentence given in the crown court, it might be suspended, we do not know," the chair told Stickels. "It's too serious for us to deal with, so it's going to have to go to the crown court."

Stickels was released on unconditional bail ahead of sentencing at Inner London Crown Court at a later date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Inevitably, as with most press reports, there's a lot missing from the story. How was the accused apprehended, for instance, and how the railway staff became aware of previous tickets. There's also a question of how a probation officer was involved - I thought they were only became involved after conviction.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Inevitably, as with most press reports, there's a lot missing from the story. How was the accused apprehended, for instance, and how the railway staff became aware of previous tickets. There's also a question of how a probation officer was involved - I thought they were only became involved after conviction.
I assumed he was already on probation, because as you say, why would one be involved otherwise before guilt is established.

MadMarsupial

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
If he had already
pleaded guilty the probation officer might have been involved in a pre-sentence report for the magistrates. However, the magistrates seem to have referred it to Crown Court for sentencing - the Crown Court can impose significantly higher sentences. Link below explains asking for pre sentence reports https://www.thelawpages.com/court-cases/court-pre-sentence-reports.php#:~:text=When deciding what sentence to impose, magistrates and,Service to produce a report about the offender.
Thanks, that's a helpful little explainer.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
This is one case where it would have made far more sense to go after the person supplying the tickets than the person using them. The fraud is substantial, but whoever was creating and supplying them is clearly the far bigger fish.

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is one case where it would have made far more sense to go after the person supplying the tickets than the person using them. The fraud is substantial, but whoever was creating and supplying them is clearly the far bigger fish.
No, going after both is the correct approach. If the person caught chooses not to let on where they got the dodgy tickets they should just lose any credit for doing do and are sentenced accordingly.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
No, going after both is the correct approach. If the person caught chooses not to let on where they got the dodgy tickets they should just lose any credit for doing do and are sentenced accordingly.

Yes, but only if they choose not to cooperate. I think in one sense, this is where the Americans have it right: their use of plea bargaining pre-trial can save a lot of time and hassle for everyone.

Of course, if he doesn't cooperate, then the magistrates have got it right.

miklcct

On Moderation
This case is a failing of our society. Why don't our rail staff have free travel for commuting on our railways? To my understanding TfL actually have that but not nationally.

Established Member
Mills, the defence brief stated "it's a disgrace" that it took a year to get to court which caused his client "anxiety" and he committed the fraud for "honourable reasons in order to work"

...lol should double the sentence for whining about the time, perhaps he can ask m'lud for delay repay?

Haywain

Veteran Member
the defence brief stated "it's a disgrace" that it took a year to get to court
To be fair, in that bit he is right, although I'm not sure what benefit is gained from telling the courts what they already know.

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
This case is a failing of our society. Why don't our rail staff have free travel for commuting on our railways? To my understanding TfL actually have that but not nationally.
I don't understand how this case can be a failing of society?
Regarding free travel: He worked through an agency so would not be entitled to any Network Rail benefits.

Stickels, who lives at home
What does this mean - doesn’t everyone live at home?!
Does it mean he lives in his parents house?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Why don't our rail staff have free travel for commuting on our railways?
Because that isn't how things work.
To my understanding TfL actually have that but not nationally.
They do, on TfL services. In the same way most TOC staff have free travel on the services of their own TOCs, but have to pay for others where reciprocal arrangements aren't in place.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Only if the person actually is guilty. Too many coerced pleas.
Yes that's the problem with plea bargains: "We'll charge you with murder and will go for life without parole, but if you agree to plead guilty to manslaughter you'll be out in ten years. What's your choice?" I much prefer the way we do it in the UK where you get a discount from the sentence for pleading guilty at an early stage along with a further discount if you cooperate with the authorities. It helps avoid that outright bargaining for what gets charged and what doesn't get charged.

lachlan

For better or worse I don't think NR staff get free tickets

Djgr

Established Member
Ah, so it's not the poor guy's fault...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It’s not a failing of society.

Should someone working for a supermarket get free food?
What about someone who works for a clothing retailer, do they get free clothing?