• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

Snow1964

Established Member
I’m 6 ft 4, weigh more than 8 stone, and I sat alongside my friend and was perfectly acceptable.

Acceptable is generally rated just above poor
And below good and excellent

Doesn't seem to be much of an endorsement for a train that might be used through to 2060s. Not exactly words like a leap in quality and comfort.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJDesiro

I’ve noticed that the lighting seems to change when it gets darker outside, it becomes much more bright and obnoxious, compared to the usual tone which is far more pleasant. I hope this gets sorted, 730s at night give me headaches, other than that I find them to be perfect for the routes they serve.

hwl

Established Member
I’ve noticed that the lighting seems to change when it gets darker outside, it becomes much more bright and obnoxious, compared to the usual tone which is far more pleasant.
Adjusting the internal light level given ambient light levels outside to reduce energy consumption.

I hope this gets sorted,
Why does it need sorting?
The elephant in the room you seem to be missing is safety and perception of safety, which is ranked as being much more important by one gender (which happens to be very under represented on this and other rail forums) and has a big impact on lighting spec currently (which isn't going to change).

AJDesiro

Why does it need sorting?
How are other types of new train able to have lighting that isn’t obnoxiously bright (a la 196, or even 345). I suffer from migraines, and I’ve had to take painkillers after going on a 730 at night. I don’t care about the colour temperature, merely the brightness.

The brightness change is very late on the 730s too, when it was slightly more dim, it was still plenty bright enough to give a perception of safety.

sonic2009

Established Member
730007 & 014 on the WCML diagram and 730009 Walsall diagram
Thanks - managed to get a short ride from Sandwell & Dudley to Wolverhampton, could of boarded at Birmingham but only spotted it as I was leaving on the Avanti to Stafford in front of it.

Must say lots of room inside them compared to the 323s

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Any ideas why the 730s always show as 323s on things like RealTimeTrains?

Because Realtime Trains shows what the service is pathed for, which is still a 323 (West Mids) or 319 (south WCML), not what's going to necessarily operate it. For another example, a Pendolino can run a service pathed for an 80x, and indeed is doing that at present on the Euston-Liverpools (which is why they feel noticeably quite slow - the timings are slack for a Pendolino).

Likely when they're all in service there will be some retiming (i.e. speeding up) and then they'll be pathed as 730.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Any ideas why the 730s always show as 323s on things like RealTimeTrains?
If you’re referring to the text that shows at the top of a page like this, then that is nothing to do with the actual allocation of a service, but is rather the timing load for it. 730s can run to 323 timings, and I doubt they’ll be updated to reflect the new stock until some timetable change once they’ve all been introduced.

Until WMR joins the ‘know your train’ feature on RTT (if ever), then the identity of the train running it won’t be public information.