• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting to Founders Arms from Blackfriars Station?

Howardh

Established Member
Is there an exit with gates on the south bank so I can walk directly to the pub? I know you can walk across the bridge/station for "free" but I'll be alighting a train. Thanks!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Is there an exit with gates on the south bank so I can walk directly to the pub? I know you can walk across the bridge/station for "free" but I'll be alighting a train. Thanks!!
I have exited Blackfriars to the south before now. Been a couple of years, though, since I did.

urbophile

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Certainly was the case when I was there a couple of months ago.

Jimini

Established Member
There is indeed -- exit on the southside and you're 10 seconds from the pub.

Howardh

Established Member
Thanks, and I think I can cope with 10 seconds to the pub! Hope the tide is out as I want to see the "beach" but probably won't stray on to it because!!

Spamcan81

Thanks, and I think I can cope with 10 seconds to the pub! Hope the tide is out as I want to see the "beach" but probably won't stray on to it because!!

Nice setting for a pub but if it's ale you're after, it only sells bastardised Youngs.

Jimini

Established Member

Just don't forget your second mortgage to be able to afford a few scoops in there ;)

Jimini

Established Member
Nice setting for a pub but if it's ale you're after, it only sells bastardised Youngs.

Think there are a few more cask options on the other side of the bridge in Doggett's, if memory serves correctly.

Howardh

Established Member
Think there are a few more cask options on the other side of the bridge in Doggett's, if memory serves correctly.
Yes, noticed that on the map. Intend to go there from the Founders, then across the bridge to a couple the north side of Blackfriers. Expecting a large hole in my wallet afterwards, but hey, it's a day out next week and the forecast is much warmer (19c) with the risk of thunderstorms.

Really not bothered about what's on offer at the Founders, just that I've passed it so many times and decided it's time I had a look!

Jimini

Established Member
Yes, noticed that on the map. Intend to go there from the Founders, then across the bridge to a couple the north side of Blackfriers. Expecting a large hole in my wallet afterwards, but hey, it's a day out next week and the forecast is much warmer (19c) with the risk of thunderstorms.

Really not bothered about what's on offer at the Founders, just that I've passed it so many times and decided it's time I had a look!

Sounds like my kind of Saturday! If you're venturing over the bridge into The City then the Blackfriar and the Cockpit are both worth a visit.

Howardh

Established Member
Sounds like my kind of Saturday! If you're venturing over the bridge into The City then the Blackfriar and the Cockpit are both worth a visit.

Blackfriar is third on the list, followed by "Patch" and then you suggestion sounds fine as my final stop before the station!! Anyone recommend the Rising Sun?

By the end of the day I will have to find my wobbly way back to Milton Keynes - much cheaper hotels than anywhere nearer London!!

Howardh

Established Member
Just noticed on the day I expect to be there, it's high tide around early evening so won't be able to see the "beach". Shame!!

AndrewE

Established Member
Just noticed on the day I expect to be there, it's high tide around early evening so won't be able to see the "beach". Shame!!
but low tide will be late morning, so it might only be on its way in...

Howardh

Established Member
but low tide will be late morning, so it might only be on its way in...
I'll still be on the train! Can't really get there much before five as I've to drop off stuff at my hotel in MK.