• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Helsinki - Turku in July

artemic

Hi all,
With the direct railway line from Helsinki to Turku being closed for the latter half of June and most of July, what would be the easiest way to make the trip - either from the city itself or from the airport?

The VR journey planner presently suggests itineraries with 5 minute connections at Toijala/Akaa - can anyone vouch for the quality of this connection?
If not - VR have suggested they will be releasing timetables for replacement buses etc., what are these normally like?
Matkahuolto also suggests itineraries from Vantaa with a J. Vainion Liikenne Oy who seem to be well rated but these almost all appear to involve a 3 minute transfer at a bus stop (Turvesolmu) by the side of a motorway junction near Espoo?

PS. I am aware of the two Finnair buses to connect with flights from Helsinki (having replaced the internal flights) but the inbound timing is poor in my opinion (why is it impossible to arrive at Turku bus station before 6:35pm, even before considering getting anywhere else afterwards?!).

Any ideas or corrections are much appreciated :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

doc7austin

The VR journey planner presently suggests itineraries with 5 minute connections at Toijala/Akaa - can anyone vouch for the quality of this connection?
No, this is too risky.
At important connection points in the network the second train may wait.
But in Toijala you are changing from a Helsinki-Tampere-.. train to a ..-Tampere-Turku train. Both train go in the different direction.

At the moment I'd just wait a bit until the start of June. I am pretty sure that VR will somehow organize and publish a bus replacement service for this important route Helsinki-Turku.

artemic

No, this is too risky.
At important connection points in the network the second train may wait.
But in Toijala you are changing from a Helsinki-Tampere-.. train to a ..-Tampere-Turku train. Both train go in the different direction.
I didn't think so, but thanks for affirmation. Wishful thinking on my part..
At the moment I'd just wait a bit until the start of June. I am pretty sure that VR will somehow organize and publish a bus replacement service for this important route Helsinki-Turku.
re. Organisation I am sure they will, but it's of little comfort when you would like to plan! Hence my other questions :D