• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hounslow loop services should be improved

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
A planner in the making....like your thinking. Two major pinch points, the first being access to/egress from plat 3 bay at Woking without hindering ML UP and DOWN services, whilst still providing a clockface 15 min interval service on the stoppers...sounds easy....give it a try...for the record, I am not saying it won't work (in todays post covid world), just use the present base ML off peak service TT as a starting point (a one hour window should prove it possible or not?), to see which paths you have left to use.
If the above works out, then check paths SL/FL from Surbiton/Berrylands inwards (and reverse outwards), as once that point is reached (all routes come together) and so the overall pathing plan takes on a whole new meaning!

Thanks and that's a very good point about the conflicts at Woking to get to the central terminating platform.

I think for the solution, I'll cop out and say that, since I'm already thinking 4tph London-Woking would only work once CrossRail2 is built, I'll also throw in the aspiration for the grade separation West of Woking (cost = trivial compared to the cost of Crossrail2), which should allow the local trains to run through to Gulidford.

I guess what I'm suggesting isn't a very practical solution to implement in 6 months' time :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks and that's a very good point about the conflicts at Woking to get to the central terminating platform.

I think for the solution, I'll cop out and say that, since I'm already thinking 4tph London-Woking would only work once CrossRail2 is built, I'll also throw in the aspiration for the grade separation West of Woking (cost = trivial compared to the cost of Crossrail2), which should allow the local trains to run through to Gulidford.

I guess what I'm suggesting isn't a very practical solution to implement in 6 months' time :D
Well there use to.be 4 trains an hour in the high morning peak at one stage but they all ran fast after Surbiton. The morning high peak trains still run fast after Surbiton.

hassaanhc

Established Member
It's not just the service reductions on line of route either. For example Windsor trains used to connect into the stopping services to places like Mortlake with a few minutes wait. Now it's closer to 20, a wait which is unavoidable and makes rail less attractive. Almost every reduction in frequency will be to the detriment of some passengers who have to change. That's something talked about far less than some of the increases in time for direct journeys.
The "circular" Hounslow service also provided an excellent connection at Twickenham for the Kingston service in both directions, so you could get between Hounslow and Kingston in about half an hour, very competitive with driving and at least 15 minutes faster than the bus. From the Hounslow direction, there was also an unofficial connection at Whitton for the service to Windsor, although I think it didn't work on the return.

nw1

Established Member
Bookham was indeed half hourly between Monday and Saturday, with 3tph in the morning and evening peaks including the Southern extras to London Bridge, so we have had a 2/3rds loss in the morning peak time service.

So only 1tph in the peak for a Surrey commuter belt station? That does seem to be very underserved.

devon_belle

So only 1tph in the peak for a Surrey commuter belt station? That does seem to be very underserved.
It is poor, and was not attracting many passengers when I was last using it semi-regularly in early 2023. Assuming things have now picked up further, the extra service should be reinstated. As well as Bookham residents themselves, but to better serve the Guildford area and Epsom–Raynes Park sections which would be grateful for more trains.

Bookham station is quite poorly situated for the majority of the village, being at the bottom of a shallow but long hill. Likewise, residents of nearby Fetcham are without a station entirely and walking 30+ mins to Bookham for the hourly train isn't very enticing. I'm sure they would rather drive to Leatherhead for 4tph (previously 6) or Epsom.