• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introducing RailUK Tickets - support the forum when booking your rail tickets!

Adam Williams

Established Member
I appreciate it isn’t a priority but is there any chance Trainsplit may allow customers to book mobility assistance alongside their tickets?
There's no API or system for this that we would be able to use - so as much as we'd like to, we can't. I believe I heard recently from RDG that it might be possible by the end of 2024.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There's no API or system for this that we would be able to use - so as much as we'd like to, we can't. I believe I heard recently from RDG that it might be possible by the end of 2024.
I get that but it is possible with Lner as they allow you to just tick a button and they arrange assistance bookings behind the scenes. I’ve only just got the person back to using Trainsplit after the nightmare of booking assistance last time, and now this has just happened.

Adam Williams

Established Member
I get that but it is possible with Lner as they allow you to just tick a button and they arrange assistance bookings behind the scenes. I’ve only just got the person back to using Trainsplit after the nightmare of booking assistance last time, and now this has just happened.
I believe from what I've heard that there's a person whose job it is at LNER to retype all the details into TOC forms / Passenger Assist.

We're not playing that game, the rail industry needs to get its **** together and join the 21st century.

hkstudent

Established Member
I was trying to get a CrossCountry ticket from Manchester Pic to Stafford on 6th May, at 17:03/17:25.
It's rather strange that forum site / trainsplit couldn't offer that train in any option (best value / fastest / cheapest).

1714513677848.png

1714513735305.png

MrJeeves

Established Member
I was trying to get a CrossCountry ticket from Manchester Pic to Stafford on 6th May, at 17:03/17:25.
It's rather strange that forum site / trainsplit couldn't offer that train in any option (best value / fastest / cheapest).
Itineraries and tickets on both services are available in the timeline view. I think this comes down to the limitations of only showing 4 o/b or i/b journeys on the grid view, and the magical logic behind the scenes that determines which of them to show.

1714514033818.png

hkstudent

Established Member
Itineraries and tickets on both services are available in the timeline view. I think this comes down to the limitations of only showing 4 o/b or i/b journeys on the grid view, and the magical logic behind the scenes that determines which of them to show.

View attachment 157398
Thanks.
Meanwhile, I am trying to look for the TfW/WMR/LNR ticket from Manchester to Euston on the forum site, but seems that can't be generated even with intensive search option, for 6th May travel.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Meanwhile, I am trying to look for the TfW/WMR/LNR ticket from Manchester to Euston on the forum site, but seems that can't be generated even with intensive search option, for 6th May travel.
It seems to work for me if I only include TfW/WMT services:

1714515087784.png

mangyiscute

Established Member
the 17:03 showed up for me under best value: https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/results?FromStation=7029680&ToStation=7012680&Adults=1&OutboundDate=06/05/2024&OutboundTime=17:00&Railcard=TST&searchBy=0&firstClass=false&flexible=false&selectionMethod=Grid
I cannot get the 17:25 to show up no matter what, however - I think this is perhaps a bit of an oversight that a user selecting fastest will still want to see a 57 minute journey that leaves at their inputted time when compared to a 55 minute journey that departs an hour later.

MrJeeves

Established Member
I cannot get the 17:25 to show up no matter what
On the timeline view, you'll need to press "View all results" for all possible journeys to show, otherwise it only shows the four journeys already present in the grid view:

1714520626308.png

think this is perhaps a bit of an oversight that a user selecting fastest will still want to see a 57 minute journey that leaves at their inputted time when compared to a 55 minute journey that departs an hour later.
This is partly why the beta TrainSplit site has done away with a lot of the magical logic that guesses what the customer wants, and instead presents almost every option we can find. We're still exploring ways to improve this, though, as we don't want to show someone 100 options for how to get from Clapham Junction to Waterloo!

mangyiscute

Established Member
This is partly why the beta TrainSplit site has done away with a lot of the magical logic that guesses what the customer wants, and instead presents almost every option we can find. We're still exploring ways to improve this, though, as we don't want to show someone 100 options for how to get from Clapham Junction to Waterloo!
I just gave the beta site a go, I do prefer the whole layout and getting to see more options is superb since often trainsplit wouldn't show the option I wanted until I had a bit of a play with the time and best value/cheapest/fastest (I didn't know timeline view + see all results was a thing)
One thing that I didn't like was how the price was shown as how much more it costs over the cheapest journey, I prefer to just see the actual price for each journey, but overall I would say it's much nicer.

JoshD14

One thing that I didn't like was how the price was shown as how much more it costs over the cheapest journey, I prefer to just see the actual price for each journey
I think we are mixed on this one internally as well, I believe I originally mocked it up as you describe, showing the actual price for each journey but we changed it to how it is displayed now at some point in the initial development process (although this was quite a while ago!). Something for us to discuss further and explore when we have resource on the team.

As @MrJeeves mentioned, we're still working on a lot of things with the beta site to try and improve the user experience while maintaining the best of all worlds, I think there's a good amount of work we've already identified and more to come in the pipeline, but we are resource limited right now unfortunately. We won't get it perfect but hopefiully we will get a better experience and make it clearer and easier to book in the long run!