• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is ‘train station’ replacing ‘railway station’ in UK passenger rail terminology?

317 forever

Established Member
Railway station seems more logical than train station. It has the railway there 24 days a day, 7 days a week. However, it typically has a train there for only around 2 minutes at a time until it pulls away, meaning that it is largely a station without a train necessarily there at any given moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Railway station seems more logical than train station. It has the railway there 24 days a day, 7 days a week. However, it typically has a train there for only around 2 minutes at a time until it pulls away, meaning that it is largely a station without a train necessarily there at any given moment.
What would you call an empty bus station then?

Last edited:

JGurney

I suppose garage and petrol/filling station poses a similar question :D.
Not quite. A filling station offered only fuel, and perhaps some limited range of small items for sale. A garage business provided repair services, literally garaging (storage of cars) and often did some second-hand car trading.
In the days before leaving cars parked in the street overnight was regarded as a normal thing to do, many motorists who did not have a private garage (in the sense of a building, e.g. attached to their house or in the grounds) would keep their car garaged at a nearby garage (in the sense of a business).

Mat17

I've been using the term 'train station' since I started travelling on trains in the 1980s, so it's definitely not a new thing. 'Railway station' sounds a bit weird to me, kind of like "shewn" instead of "shown". Some strange anachronism from the Victorian era.

anthony263

Established Member
I still call it a railway station and have taught my daughter to call it railway station not train station

Isambard

‘Train station’ used to grate a bit, but really only because it wasn’t what I was used to. Have to admit it’s probably a shade more logical than ‘Railway station’ but can live with both. Much less annoying than other linguistic changes (such as ‘invite’ as a noun!).

Turtle

‘Train station’ used to grate a bit, but really only because it wasn’t what I was used to. Have to admit it’s probably a shade more logical than ‘Railway station’ but can live with both. Much less annoying than other linguistic changes (such as ‘invite’ as a noun!).
Or the replacement of "with" by "of".

Calthrop

Established Member
“Train track” is a term normally used by young children who know no different. I agree there may be some logic to the term, but grammatically it certainly isn’t the norm.

The term Train Station annoys me. It seems that there is a general trend these days to use the least amount of syllables as possible.

Not only does Transport for Gtr Manchester use "train station" on their publicity but also "train line" for railway! When I worked there I did suggest that "a public body like ours" should set a good example. Does anyone say "train line"? And yes I regard train station as an Americanism.

(Quotes likely not in "chronological" order -- apologies.)

My personal "take" on this issue -- not founded on considerations of logic, or correct-or-not use of language -- is that: with my being aged 75, from a relatively educated and "large-vocabularied" middle-class background -- I grew up with, and have always favoured and used, the "railway station" wording. Am not one of those who get apoplectic over the use of "train station": just find it somewhat annoying because it strikes me as essentially, infantile. I have a gut dislike -- again, not to the point of waxing homicidal about it as some seem to do -- of "baby-talk" invading common English usage, as per the tendency which seems to obtain nowadays; cognate with, as per @Ashley Hill above, the strong tendency to favour monosyllables. "Train track" and "train line", as quoted above, do irritate me considerably; just feel that they look and sound moronic. If monosyllablising has to happen, I would much prefer "rail track" and "rail line".

A related thing is, I feel, the strong tendency of juveniles and/or those for whom railway matters are not a big element in their lives: to refer to anything which runs on rails and is not a tram, as -- regardless of function or number of railed items -- a "train". This annoys me; but the feeling is got, that getting upset about its being done by "the masses", is likely the futile ultimate in kicking-against-the-pricks. Still, it sometimes grates; those like me, wish that railway institutions of whatever kind, would not -- as they often seem to -- collude in this perceived "dumbing-down". I cringe a little, whenever I visit the Isle of Wight Steam Railway's headquarters at Haven Street, at the title "Train Story" borne by its extensive and very interesting museum exhibit there. The thought is prompted -- "for heaven's sake, don't descend to expressing yourselves like three-year-olds: the kids are likely to be interested in seeing the museum anyway -- give it a more adult title, and let the small fry stretch their minds and vocabularies a bit".

Mat17

Wow I've never considered train tracks to be infantile or juvenile. In fact I never even realised it was a thing that wound people up. Maybe its a class thing? I'm working class and I've never been very bothered about specifics of train station or railway station.

What I really hate though and this does smack of infantile/juvenile is when grown adults (or children over 4) call their parents mummy and daddy, that's very babied. Train tracks though, really?

Irascible

Established Member
More likely regional than class.

Calling people mummy as an adult might be a class thing tho.

Calthrop

Established Member
Maybe I'm just weird -- or a class-, and-language-use, snob -- but the use of "train" in the role of an adjective as in all instances cited above, just "grinds my gears" (only a "gut feeling", and not to a huge extent -- I wouldn't seek to forbid it "on pain of" ... people are free to use words as they wish...). @Mat17, it would appear that the effect on me of the "train" thing, and on you of beyond-infant "mummy / daddy" appellation, is comparable -- and basically, an individual quirk. I'd reckon people free to call their nearest-and-dearest, whatever they wish. I recall that Trump's Vice-President, Mike Pence, was ridiculed in some quarters for habitually calling his wife, "Mother". While this gentleman -- highly-conservative politician -- did not strike me as overall, a very likeable character; I see no reason why anyone shouldn't habitually call their spouse (giving them the benefit of the doubt, as to its being an affectionate usage) whatever the heck they choose to.

urbophile

Established Member
Outpedanting you here. 'the least amount', because amount is a singular noun, or 'the fewest syllables'.

Anyway, the important point in this discussion is whether or not these stations have trains. That turn up frequently and on time. Are clean and comfortable and efficient. And don't cost the earth. What you call the place these trains call at is secondary (though looking at the thread title, nevertheless important).

Gigabit

This forum is hilarious sometimes. People call them train stations, that is the term that 99.9% of the public use. Nothing is being "replaced".

CBlue

This forum is hilarious sometimes. People call them train stations, that is the term that 99.9% of the public use. Nothing is being "replaced".

I doubt it's as high as that.

:lol:

Forum pedantry at its finest?

Language changes all the time and always has. Nothing sinister about it, or "lowering of standards", in my view.

Make your way back 100 years and the language used by those complaining about this topic would probably be unacceptable and incorrect grammatically to anyone from that time period.

Irascible

Established Member
Tho? Surely though. :lol:

Must admit I don't know where I picked up that affectation - I suspect a lot of my abbreviations are down to using a rather tiresome tablet "keyboard" half the time. I had to growl at my mum ( who's now in her 80s ) for picking up SMS abbreviations ( you -> u, etc ) a while back, *that* is something I can't stand except when you're really character-limited.

Gaspode

Train station, which I've always considered an Americanism, annoys me intensely. I dislike hearing it and reading it. For me it was and always will be a railway station
It's a strange hill to die on. Incidentally the words 'train' and 'station' have Latin and Old French origins. So shouldn't we be decrying these Latinisms and Frenchisms?

Language evolves.