• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Peter C

Established Member
I sneezed whilst thinking about the nationalisation of the railways in 1948 earlier and almost tripped over a small pensioner leaving Morrisons. But we don't have any photos of that, so @Cowley I don't suppose you have anything to share about Lapford?

-Peter ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I sneezed whilst thinking about the nationalisation of the railways in 1948 earlier and almost tripped over a small pensioner leaving Morrisons. But we don't have any photos of that, so @Cowley I don't suppose you have anything to share about Lapford?

-Peter ;)

You see that kind of thing happens to me sometimes and that’s why I’ve stopped using Morrisons.

I saw some footage on X of an XC Voyager on Lapford today :D

Yes…

I wasn’t expecting to see one of those running on the line, but it isn’t mine anymore so normal service has been whatever the opposite of resumed is. ;)

It was quite a stressful experience trying to get it level and all the wires reconnected, even though in actual fact it went remarkably smoothly. Here it is in its new home:
IMG_0115.jpeg

This is their massive 00 gauge layout (Exeter Junction):
IMG_0116.jpeg

It’s a monster of a thing!

So that’s it. For the first time in a few years I’ve got no railway, only plans in my head. But actually that’s quite nice because as we all know, the planning is part of the fun!

At the moment I’ve got two things that I’d like to do, but I won’t be banging on about it until I’ve actually got something done.

Idea 1: 0 gauge 1980s West Highland type railway in the garden and a Thurso style terminus in the new railway shed.

Idea 2: N gauge layout also in the new railway shed - possibly based around a version of the disused Seaton Junction station on the Exeter to Waterloo route in the 1980s.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wow, Exeter Junction looks impressive!

Yes it’s really quite something. All analog and an absolute spaghetti of wiring underneath (nothing colour coded). They were gifted the railway but it’s built into an industrial unit. Bonkers stuff!

Peter C

Established Member
You see that kind of thing happens to me sometimes and that’s why I’ve stopped using Morrisons.

Yes…

I wasn’t expecting to see one of those running on the line, but it isn’t mine anymore so normal service has been whatever the opposite of resumed is. ;)

It was quite a stressful experience trying to get it level and all the wires reconnected, even though in actual fact it went remarkably smoothly. Here it is in its new home:
View attachment 157175

This is their massive 00 gauge layout (Exeter Junction):
View attachment 157176

It’s a monster of a thing!

So that’s it. For the first time in a few years I’ve got no railway, only plans in my head. But actually that’s quite nice because as we all know, the planning is part of the fun!

At the moment I’ve got two things that I’d like to do, but I won’t be banging on about it until I’ve actually got something done.

Idea 1: 0 gauge 1980s West Highland type railway in the garden and a Thurso style terminus in the new railway shed.

Idea 2: N gauge layout also in the new railway shed - possibly based around a version of the disused Seaton Junction station on the Exeter to Waterloo route in the 1980s.
It's brilliant to see Lapford in its new home - I'm sure they'll get a lot of use out of it! But it does look odd (even having only ever seen it online) not seeing it in its usual habitat...! And blimey - Exeter Junction is huge! I think that model is about the size of the real St. David's station...

Those ideas sound really good. I assume you've still got all the N gauge stock? Making the most of the new railway shed with the two layouts (well, one full layout and part of another) would be great fun I'd imagine. Looking forward to seeing what develops!

-Peter :)

takno

Established Member
Yes it’s really quite something. All analog and an absolute spaghetti of wiring underneath (nothing colour coded). They were gifted the railway but it’s built into an industrial unit. Bonkers stuff!
There was I thinking "it's big but it's no Mackinley". On the other hand Mackinley is rigourously digital throughout. The wiring for Exeter junction must be terrifying

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was I thinking "it's big but it's no Mackinley". On the other hand Mackinley is rigourously digital throughout. The wiring for Exeter junction must be terrifying
It really is and some of it is buried under different levels as well. Yikes!

I decided last week to invest some of the money from selling the layout into an 0 gauge Heljan class 26 in original railfreight. I received an email from Rails showing them at a decent (fire sale in fact!) price. So I pounced…

IMG_0210.jpeg

IMG_0209.jpeg

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg

I must say, it’s rather nice.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It really is and some of it is buried under different levels as well. Yikes!

I decided last week to invest some of the money from selling the layout into an 0 gauge Heljan class 26 in original railfreight. I received an email from Rails showing them at a decent (fire sale in fact!) price. So I pounced…

View attachment 157721

View attachment 157724

View attachment 157723

View attachment 157722

I must say, it’s rather nice.
One might even say it's (a) 'Tip Top' ;)

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
There's something very satisfying about the solidity of 7mm.
The McRat looks sublime - great catch - and, next to that 37, I'm being transported happily to my Scottish Rail Rover trips. :)

They’re also taking it to the Portsmouth show later this year, which we’ll also be at with Moors View!
Will that be at South Hants MRC's Widley exhibition, around mid November? If no, where and when will you be exhibiting Moors View in the Pompey area?
I'm on the Hants - Sussex coast; it'll be fabulous to swing by and say hello. :)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There's something very satisfying about the solidity of 7mm.
The McRat looks sublime - great catch - and, next to that 37, I'm being transported happily to my Scottish Rail Rover trips. :)
I’ve just got so many good memories from those days up there. I’ve always wanted to have a go at modelling some of it and I’ve never owned any 0 gauge stuff before. The ready to run models are amazing now and not so out of reach like they used to be.

Will that be at South Hants MRC's Widley exhibition, around mid November? If no, where and when will you be exhibiting Moors View in the Pompey area?
I'm on the Hants - Sussex coast; it'll be fabulous to swing by and say hello. :)
Yes I think it is the in middle of November. Sometime around the 17th I believe, it’d be great to meet you @Sun Chariot. :)

Edit - Paul phoned me earlier and said he had a spare little baseboard (about a metre long) that he’s got spare so I’m going to grab it and use it as a display shelf to practice ballasting and detailing in 0 gauge etc.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
I’ve just got so many good memories from those days up there. I’ve always wanted to have a go at modelling some of it and I’ve never owned any 0 gauge stuff before. The ready to run models are amazing now and not so out of reach like they used to be.

Yes I think it is the in middle of November. Sometime around the 17th I believe, it’d be great to meet you @Sun Chariot. :)

Edit - Paul phoned me earlier and said he had a spare little baseboard (about a metre long) that he’s got spare so I’m going to grab it and use it as a display shelf to practice ballasting and detailing in 0 gauge etc.

Is that the one in the Admiral Lord Nelson School? Brilliantly situated miles from the nearest public transport: I was hoping to get there last year, but just couldn’t face the walk. Maybe they will have altered the buses by November (or more likely changed them and then changed them back).