• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Trains On Closed Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok something here to get the brain cells going , let see if we can get a list of the last booked train that was used on a section of line and after it used it the line was closed. it can be anything so steam train , loco or unit .

For e.g 76006 & 76014 were the last ( electric ) trains to go over the Woodhead Route on 18th July 1981 , However this was not the last train on the Penistone - Hadfield section , this was 37024 that was on track recovery in May 1986 :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Don't know the unit number but I was on one of the Thameslink themed 319s to form the last terminating service into Moorgate Thameslink, would have caught the last departure as well had I not been chatting to my betters!

Established Member
Not the same as the OP but I have been on the last trains run by two different TOCs - GNER and NXEC.

Could also have been on the last train on the Oldham Loop but it was too late for geting back home!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I mentioned it in the "closed stations" post, but I was on the last train out of St Pancras before it closed for the Eurostar work. It was a HST, but I can't remember what powercars it was. I know 43053 lead the last official HST out half an hour before, as the last train was booked for a 170 but a HST was substituted (why a 170 normally did the last run was clear, as even with those making the trip specially it was pretty quiet).

Rugd1022

Oracle

Established Member
I was on the last train to traverse the Staines West branch south of Colnbrook around 1981. It may have also been the last to go down the Abingdon branch as well, and possibly the last passenger train over the Reading Goods branch. It was a 2 x 3-car + 1 Bubble Car DMU setup. And yes, the Bubble Car at least had STAINES WEST in the destination blind box still!

Status
Not open for further replies.