• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington to Plymouth in 2.5 hours?

brad465

Established Member
Capacity for what though? If a new station requires it then it gets factored into its cost. You don't add blocks in just for the sake of it if another solution is available.
What other solutions are you implying?

Apparently an upgrade in signalling with more blocks is planned to occur in the next CP (presumably when existing signalling is due for renewal), although I don't know where things are with that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
What other solutions are you implying?

Apparently an upgrade in signalling with more blocks is planned to occur in the next CP (presumably when existing signalling is due for renewal), although I don't know where things are with that.
Altering the timetable, its free.

FGWHST43009

From the 2022/23 stats based on journeys to/from London Paddington, the West Country stacks up as:
Exeter: 262k
Plymouth: 134k
Taunton: 130k
Tiverton: 84k
Totnes: 69k
Newton Abbot: 58k
Truro: 46k
Penzance: 46k
Bodmin: 32k
Barnstaple: 22k
St Austell: 21k
Torquay: 17k
St Ives: 15k
Paignton: 13k
Redruth: 13k
Newquay: 13k
Liskeard: 11k
Exmouth: 10k

So more passengers to/from Exeter than Taunton and Tiverton, and more than twice as many passengers continuing beyond Exeter as going to Exeter (albeit those making connections might not see a smooth increase in journey times depending on whether they get to jump to an earlier connecting service).
But proportionally 15 minutes on a journey to Taunton has a lot more impact than 15 minutes on a journey to Truro.
Where did you find the statistics? Is that on ORR? This sort of thing interests me.