• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris Olympics and UK rail/tourism

railfan99

Established Member
With an extra three million visitors expected in Paris for the 2024 summer Olympics, what effect (if any) do you expect this to have on foreigners using Eurostar and UK railways either before or after the Olympics?

If foreigners like me who are not interested in sport are planning to visit the UK, would you expect any extra visitation to (say) England to have normalised by early to mid September 2024?

If Eurostar achieves a spike in visits to its app/website and hence bookings, will it be able or willing to schedule additional trips each way? Will it cease 'quotas' for Interrail/Eurailpass holders during these possible peak times (that coincide with summer travel peaks in the UK/Europe anyway)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
I saw something the other day that Eurostar had already sold 416,000 tickets. Not sure how they know it’s Olympic related for sure.

nw1

Established Member
I do remember in 2012 when the Olympics were at the other end of Eurostar (i.e. London), they had a special timetable and special - i.e. high - fares during the period of the Olympics and perhaps a week or so either side.

Not sure if they're doing that this year.

In 2012 I remember deliberately going on holiday (to Austria, via Eurostar/DB) earlier than normal to avoid the special Olympics arrangements. I was back in London on July 15th still under a normal timetable and normal fares, I think the special arrangements probably began a week after that (opening ceremony was July 27th). Unfortunately the time I went co-incided with a very wet period in the Alps meaning I couldn't do all I wanted to do!

Magdalia

Established Member
If foreigners like me who are not interested in sport are planning to visit the UK, would you expect any extra visitation to (say) England to have normalised by early to mid September 2024?
The Paralympic Games are 28 August to 8 September.

railfan99

Established Member
The Paralympic Games are 28 August to 8 September.

Thanks, but it'd have far fewer spectators than the Olympics I'd expect, and perhaps fewer competitors. It's the 'mainstream' Olympics that's more relevant to any travel plans.

Being so far away, it's wise to book air fares a few months in advance for leisure travel if feasible, although the Israel/Iran situation is a potential spanner in the works. But nothing is without risk.