• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail replacement aeroplane?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Ive been flown from Glasgow to Southampton at Scotrails expense when a West Highland Sleeper broke down. i was expecting to wake up at Euston and instead there was a view of the Cobbler out the window. My ship was due to sail at 3 pm so if Id gone by rail Id have missed it. I shared a taxi with 2 other guys to Glasgow Airport ,according to the airline ticket guy at Glasgow Airport Scotrail had an account and it was quite a regular occurence at the time. This was in the time of the 37s and I believe the first one expired near Crianlarich and the rescue one then caught fire.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Either invest significantly and have a robust solution, or don't. A ferry would be the worst option, visual enough for politicians to claim they are doing something, but not enough to actually sort the issue
There isn't a robust solution in the short term to be had across Morecambe Bay IMHO.
The tidal barrage could be a long term solution, but there could be something done in the interim and a ferry is a decent option.
One of the spare Western Ferries boats from Dunoon would fit the bill quite well
Perhaps, although a pertinent question I've just thought of is - where would they store the boats on the Barrow side during low tide?

AndrewE

Established Member
but is there a significant flow from the Lancaster area across to Barrow (for trains north) anyway? I would have thought that the majority of the traffic would be to and from the intermediate stations. Which probably wouldn't have a very attractive journey time via Barrow (connect to dock) and boat across the bay...

AlastairFraser

Established Member
but is there a significant flow from the Lancaster area across to Barrow (for trains north) anyway? I would have thought that the majority of the traffic would be to and from the intermediate stations. Which probably wouldn't have a very attractive journey time via Barrow (connect to dock) and boat across the bay...
I was suggesting a more permanent car ferry, rather than something to replace rail, so it would be more to replace journeys on the A590 primarily.

Cavendish dock is open 24-hours isn't it?
Ah, that's extra mileage but may work.

Mountain Man

You're incorrect on the flow. Lancaster to Barrow is the key route.