• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway books discussion

Iskra

Established Member
Has anyone been able to read Christian Wolmar’s new book, The Liberation Line yet and share any thoughts on it? I wasn’t that impressed by his Engines of War, and I’m not overly keen on him due to his politics, but this seems an interesting and barely touched topic that I would like to know more about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Has anyone been able to read Christian Wolmar’s new book, The Liberation Line yet and share any thoughts on it? I wasn’t that impressed by his Engines of War, and I’m not overly keen on him due to his politics, but this seems an interesting and barely touched topic that I would like to know more about.

I don't think I'd read any of his books on principle. He seems to be a rather pompous self-appointed 'railway expert' who regularly gets wheeled out on TV and radio to spout forth his opinion. Not a fan.

Iskra

Established Member
I don't think I'd read any of his books on principle. He seems to be a rather pompous self-appointed 'railway expert' who regularly gets wheeled out on TV and radio to spout forth his opinion. Not a fan.
I quite agree, although as it's the only book on the topic, if anyone can vouch for it on here, I may have to set principles aside.

Calthrop

Established Member
This is the first that I'd heard of Wolmar's The Liberation Line (Googled it -- railroading at the military "sharp end" in freshly-liberated Europe, final year of World War II) -- don't think that I, rather a "wet nelly" about such stuff, would be eager to read it, no matter who had written it, and however well. Re Mr. Wolmar, I'm rather with you, @12LDA28C -- smug up-themselves self-styled "pundits" on any subject, tend to rub me the wrong way; have read a couple of books by Wolmar: reckoned them not terrible, but not wonderful either -- not moved to read any more.

I've posted some, about self and this author, a while ago on this thread (page 7). As told of there -- I took some pleasure in spotting a "medium-sized" error concerning railways in Poland, in one of his books which I read: wrote to him via his publisher, pointing same out. He was decent enough to respond, acknowledging the mistake and expressing an intention to rectify it in future editions; which has caused me to feel a bit better-disposed toward the man.

contrex

I find him more readable than Ossie Nock or C. Hamilton Ellis; his Cathedrals of Steam wasn't bad; I don't find him pompous. It's probably a mistake to expect great literature from railway writers, but I did enjoy LTC Rolt's Red for Danger. Some of the descriptions of accidents verge on the poetic 'Angrily Grand Parade leapt upon the hapless local train' or something like that.