• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Regarding Rail card discounts in Trainpal app

minato_o7

Hi,
i know that the rail card 25-30 is not valid before 10 am. but when i use that in trainpal app its showing discounted rate for tickets at 8 and 9am. i am bit confused here. and i had travelled with this ticket and the EMR staff had scanned the ticket and rail card. so is it okay to put the rail card discount since the app is allowing? can anyone provide adivce. it would be helpful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

methecooldude

Hi,
i know that the rail card 25-30 is not valid before 10 am. but when i use that in trainpal app its showing discounted rate for tickets at 8 and 9am. i am bit confused here. and i had travelled with this ticket and the EMR staff had scanned the ticket and rail card. so is it okay to put the rail card discount since the app is allowing? can anyone provide adivce. it would be helpful.
It is valid before 10AM, but with a £12 minimum fare, so if your ticket costs more than £12, then it will be reduced to 1/3 off or £12, whichever is greater. If your ticket costs less than £12, then the app should not be adding the discount on

island

Veteran Member
A 26-30 Railcard is valid before 10am, with a minimum fare of £12 applying on most ticket types.

minato_o7

en the app should no
It is valid before 10AM, but with a £12 minimum fare, so if your ticket costs more than £12, then it will be reduced to 1/3 off or £12, whichever is greater. If your ticket costs less than £12, then the app should not be adding the discount on
But the ticket fare is less than 12 pound and it gives discounted rate in app even for 8 pound ticekts.

A 26-30 Railcard is valid before 10am, with a minimum fare of £12 applying on most ticket types.
But in the app they are showing discounted amount price for fare less than 12 pounds with the rail card

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi,
It would probably help people advise if you could state the journey concerned.

Was it Nottingham to Derby as I think was in an earlier draft of your post that I think has been edited?

methecooldude

yes it is from Nottingham to Derby.
As you can see in this screenshot, indeed it is cheaper than £12, but you'll also note that Trainpal has removed the railcard "No railcard applied"

You may be also seeing CrossCountry services, these are advance tickets, only valid on the service selected where the minimum fare does not apply (as the minimum fare does not apply to advance tickets)

A screenshot as to what you are seeing would be helpful

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240419_134108_TrainPal.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_134108_TrainPal.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20240419_134329_TrainPal.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_134329_TrainPal.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 32

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
How does this relate to your earlier thread I replied to, which I now cannot find, where you admitted to misusing an railcard over a number of weeks and were stopped by EMR?

minato_o7

As you can see in this screenshot, indeed it is cheaper than £12, but you'll also note that Trainpal has removed the railcard "No railcard applied"

You may be also seeing CrossCountry services, these are advance tickets, only valid on the service selected where the minimum fare does not apply (as the minimum fare does not apply to advance tickets)

A screenshot as to what you are seeing would be helpful
Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that we can book tickets before 10am without the minimum 12 pounds condition on cross country with a railcard if it's an advance ticket. I couldn't find that condition anywhere online. But what about EMR and other services? Also, can you tell what's situation if it's a 16-25 railcard (asking for a friend) in the similar case.

Are they Advance tickets?
i am not sure about this ? i book it 2 days before usually from Nottingham to Derby in cross country service.

How does this relate to your earlier thread I replied to, which I now cannot find, where you admitted to misusing an railcard over a number of weeks and were stopped by EMR?
yah because i was planning to book further tickets in coming week don't want to mess it up again. the old issue was as below "
I'm reaching out because I've found myself in a bit of a pickle during my daily commute from Nottingham to Derby. Today, things took an unexpected turn. It seems I mistakenly booked tomorrow's ticket instead of today's. As luck would have it, when I tried to exit the station, I was stopped by EMR staff.

In my haste, I tried to explain my blunder, but things got even messier when they noticed that the ticket I presented had a railcard for the 16-25 age group. Here's where I really messed up—I don't actually qualify for that railcard, but I've been using it to save a few quid. I know, not my brightest move, and I'm kicking myself for it now.

In a panic, I pretended I didn't know about the railcard mix-up to avoid getting into trouble. But that only made things worse. They ended up filing an incident report because they found out I'd been consistently using the wrong railcard. And to add to the chaos, I realized I hadn't updated my address on the Train Pal app, so the info they had on me was outdated."

plymothian

Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that we can book tickets before 10am without the minimum 12 pounds condition on cross country with a railcard if it's an advance ticket. I couldn't find that condition anywhere online. But what about EMR and other services? Also, can you tell what's situation if it's a 16-25 railcard (asking for a friend) in the similar case.

Minimum Fares & Time Restrictions​

A £12 minimum fare applies on all journeys made between 04:30 and 09:59 Monday to Friday, excluding Advance fares

Journeys that commence at 10:00 will receive the Railcard discount

If you travel regularly between 04:30 and 09:59 Monday to Friday, to work or your place of study for instance, a weekly or monthly season ticket could be the best way for you to save money. Railcards do not give discounts on season tickets.

The £12 minimum fare DOES NOT apply at weekends and on Public Holidays.

For full details of minimum fares, please ask at your local staffed station and some National Rail-licensed Travel Agents.

Minimum fares and time restrictions:

A £12 Minimum Fare

This applies for journeys starting between 4.30am and 9:59am Monday to Friday, excluding Advance Fares. This minimum fare does not apply on Public Holidays or throughout July and August. If you’re still not sure about minimum fares, just ask at your local staffed station and some National Rail-licensed Travel Agents.

methecooldude

plymothian has already pasted the relevant sections from the railcard website.

It's regardless of operator, if its an advance ticket, it doesn't have a minimum fare, but you are restricted to the train you have booked.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's regardless of operator, if its an advance ticket, it doesn't have a minimum fare, but you are restricted to the train you have booked.
To empahsise this, an Advance ticket has no minimum fare but this applies to the specific ticket type not just any ticket purchased in advance of the date of travel.

WesternLancer

Established Member
i am not sure about this ? i book it 2 days before usually from Nottingham to Derby in cross country service.
It's easy to get confused but you need to distinguish between:

An Advance Ticket - Advance is the official name - (which will have that name of ticket printed on it) that is sold at a discount in advance of travel and can only be used on the indicated trains at the date and time stated on the ticket
and
a ticket that you can also buy before traveling some days ahead - so you can buy it "in advance" but can be used on different trains and has no discount (so in reality there is no point in buying it until you are about to travel) - thee are typically called 'Anytime' or 'Off Peak' tickets

I am sorry of this is confusing but I can't think of a better way to explain it.

Ref what happened when you travelled with the wrong ticket:

Did EMR take your name and address? If so they will probably write to you about this. If and when they do you can ask here on how best to reply to that letter - it is important to reply as if you do not it is likely that they could prosecute you for travelling without a valid ticket.

EDIT - I see you have started another thread for this aspect of things