• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: 3+ changes from York

A S Leib

Somehow, Polesworth's manageable without an overnight stay being needed (York 02:46 Mo / 01:34 Tu-Fr – Manchester Piccadilly 04:48 / Manchester Victoria 03:34, Piccadilly 05:05 – Nuneaton 06:18, Nuneaton 06:37 – Polesworth 06:48). Which stations would still need an overnight stay to reach from York?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
Somehow, Polesworth's manageable without an overnight stay being needed (York 02:46 Mo / 01:34 Tu-Fr – Manchester Piccadilly 04:48 / Manchester Victoria 03:34, Piccadilly 05:05 – Nuneaton 06:18, Nuneaton 06:37 – Polesworth 06:48). Which stations would still need an overnight stay to reach from York?
Thats quite spectacular, I really need Polesworth so I may legitimately do this if I can’t bear a night in Northampton :lol:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I think you can change at Manchester Piccadilly and Shotton to reach the Borderlands line stations.

Under the full North TPE service you could change at Oxford Road but with the Airport to York services not operating at the moment it might be difficult to do it that way with 2 changes (unless you don't count getting between different stations in Manchester as a journey leg).

York - Liverpool - Bidston - stations to Wrexham

With proposals to extend the Wrexham service to Liverpool Central, I was forgetting you could do Bidston to Lime Street direct.

HST43257

Established Member
Under the full North TPE service you could change at Oxford Road but with the Airport to York services not operating at the moment it might be difficult to do it that way with 2 changes (unless you don't count getting between different stations in Manchester as a journey leg).
You can still do Shotton changing once at Newton-le-Wilows off the TPE Liverpool

david1212

Established Member
Edit: With the exception of walking between New Street and Moor Street, Bordesley is not possible to reach in under three changes (Leamington Spa, Stratford-upon-Avon, Whitlocks End)

An alternative is Leamington Spa, Dorridge/Solihull, Tyseley but still 3 changes. If there was a service from Leamington Spa calling at Tyseley then two. Likewise if a service from Smethwick Galton Bridge that called at Bordesley.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Bordesley is possible when Birmingham City are playing at home, changing at New Street and Galton Bridge.

With proposals to extend the Wrexham service to Liverpool Central, I was forgetting you could do Bidston to Lime Street direct.
Airport to York services are running though? York - Leeds - Dewsbury - Hudds - Victoria - Oxford Road - Piccadilly - (Gatley) - Airport

mangyiscute

Established Member
Thats quite spectacular, I really need Polesworth so I may legitimately do this if I can’t bear a night in Northampton :lol:
I did a night in the travelodge by the M42 junction for Tamworth, was perfectly fine, then its a 6am start and a 2ish mile walk from there to Polesworth all along pavements/footpaths - gives you a bit of time to see the station and then you get to travel for the rest of the day!