• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What car should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DustyBin

Established Member
Of those, no Fiats came up in my searches so I assume they're pretty rare, and I dislike Focuses (Focusi?) just on personal taste. I did look at a couple of Astras (and Insignias) and Meganes. They were on my final shortlist alongside the Pugs of varying sizes; the Clio Tourers; and of course the VAG offerings from their assorted brands- which turned out to be the eventual winner.

Foci. :)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Do Fiat still make the newer Tipo? I know it was released in the mid-10s, so it's plausible that it might have ceased production recently.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I wrote to Santa and I asked for an MG X Power SV-R. It's rare (only 42 made) and was the 5 litre, 410bhp variant. I've asked Santa for 15 years, for one of these; but he isn't reading my letters... :D

Attachments

• 20050726-0-medium.jpg
    20050726-0-medium.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

DustyBin

Established Member
I wrote to Santa and I asked for an MG X Power SV-R. It's rare (only 42 made) and was the 5 litre, 410bhp variant. I've asked Santa for 15 years, for one of these; but he isn't reading my letters... :D

He's probably doing you a favour! :lol:

(Each to their own in seriousness, but although rare and sort-of-interesting it's not for me).

DelW

Established Member

He probably knows it isn't ULEZ complaint. :D
Well, if you'll excuse the pun, perhaps it's because it doesn't comply with the Sanity Clause ...

Getting my coat already ;)

talldave

Established Member
Avoid diesels, they're either going to be a ULEZ pain ("zone" will tend to "UK") or bring AdBlue/DPF hell.

If you decide on a make/model, research the range & facelift dates and seek out high end versions with more features. Eg Ford "Titanium" or "Vignale" editions.

If you're feeling brave, buy at auction, sticking to cars with no warning lights or rattling engines, having checked the MOT history to see how loved they were. You'll get what you want for under half your budget, leaving enough in the kitty to get a good independent mechanic to service it and eliminate niggles. You'll also find larger cars much better value as the only lively sector of the car market is small economical runabouts.

DelW

Established Member
Avoid diesels, they're either going to be a ULEZ pain ("zone" will tend to "UK") or bring AdBlue/DPF hell.

If you decide on a make/model, research the range & facelift dates and seek out high end versions with more features. Eg Ford "Titanium" or "Vignale" editions.

If you're feeling brave, buy at auction, sticking to cars with no warning lights or rattling engines, having checked the MOT history to see how loved they were. You'll get what you want for under half your budget, leaving enough in the kitty to get a good independent mechanic to service it and eliminate niggles. You'll also find larger cars much better value as the only lively sector of the car market is small economical runabouts.
If you scroll back to post 116, you'll see that the OP made his choice over two months ago.

talldave

Established Member
If you scroll back to post 116, you'll see that the OP made his choice over two months ago.
LOL! The pitfalls of working through an interesting thread on two devices!

Relieved the OP followed my first point!

Status
Not open for further replies.