• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Like Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager 2093

I was wondering whether a like button could be installed on the forum similar to what is used on Facebook.

What would basically happen is, when someone posts a message a "thumbs up" icon will appear at the bottom of every post. You can only "like" posts and if clicked will show up who else has liked that post.

I think that it would be a good addition to the forum and would be much welcomed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I believe this may have been discussed a number of times before and (although it was before my time) I think it was mentioned that such a facility used to exist which was removed

sonic2009

Established Member
It's been discussed before I actually mentioned it to a member of the admin, and many reasonable reasons were mentioned.

SS4

Established Member
image1.png

;)

While I'm not averse to the idea there are often sound admin reasons for removing such features

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
While I'm not averse to the idea there are often sound admin reasons for removing such features

Indeed I believe one was in fact a worry that people would just hit a like button rather than thinking about putting down a reply of some sort (even if it was just a line or two).

Lampshade

Established Member
Aha, we have something similar on The Student Room, biggest problem is 'neg-and-run' where people just thumb down a reply without bothering to contribute themselves.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aha, we have something similar on The Student Room, biggest problem is 'neg-and-run' where people just thumb down a reply without bothering to contribute themselves.

You have made a very valid point here.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I am sure that there are and there must have been a very good reason why this facility was withdrawn in the first place.

Schnellzug

Established Member
There are some comments that I'd very much like to give a thumbs up to, but I'd very much argue against a "dislike" option.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I believe this may have been discussed a number of times before and (although it was before my time) I think it was mentioned that such a facility used to exist which was removed

From past experience too many people use it just to 'like' their friends comments. We don't need a backslapping button here and it is much better if people actually reply or respond to posts than merely liking them - as Lampshade points out it can result in people not actually contributing properly.

Kernowfem

From past experience too many people use it just to 'like' their friends comments. We don't need a backslapping button here and it is much better if people actually reply or respond to posts than merely liking them - as Lampshade points out it can result in people not actually contributing properly.

Would it not be possible to still have a like button, but one that could only be used/accessed after one has contributed to the thread? :idea:

Kernowfem

Surely that would just encourage pointless posts to use it.

Indeed! I agree this may happen. Although in my opinion it would be a sad thing to do simply in order to press a like button. A trial run could be introduced to see if it would be abused, only open it on certain threads so it could be easily monitored. Of course i'm not saying there should deffo be a like button, This forum thrives well enough without one, just putting an idea forward :)

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
I guess it's the same as having a five-character requirement in each post to prevent things like "lol" being posted alone - but it fails on account of things like ":lol:" being five characters long. Still, I'm not sure a like button would be beneficial anyway; it's not as though this is your average half-wit social place.

Minilad

Established Member
Leave facebookisms to the gormless
I think the vast majority of posters on this forum can construct a reasoned and legible response so as to make a "like button" redundant

jon0844

Veteran Member
vBulletin has an add-on to add a 'thanks' button which then lists the names below the comment. I am sure someone has modified it (or adapted it) to make it a 'Like' as it's almost the same thing.

It's very rare that I'd want to Like a post as against adding a comment, but there are some statements that simply 'nail it' and would warrant a Like instead of a comment.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I'll stick my neck my neck out here, and say that I'm in full support of a "like button", it's something that's missing from this forum, and in no way would it stop me replying to posts.

Yew

Established Member
I think there are some posts in fares advice (often regarding penalty fares or similar). That I have though someone has given the best possible advice. And would like to either reccomend or like the post. Sometimes I've even just put a post saying 'I agree' Especially if there is some dubious advice given beforehand

wintonian

Established Member

This is the only purpose I can such a function serving and to be honest I think this idea is highly unlikely to happen.

SS4

Established Member
We could be looking at it the wrong way though. When I've seen thanked posts (which is basically the same thing) it's served as a means to reinforce the post that is being thanked. I've seen it used more to prevent "+1" or a posting a rehash of an earlier post. Of course you'll get people thanking their friends' posts for their friends and not because of their contacts.
With fares advice in particular I can see the OP being more reassured if there was a thanked post rather than just that post on it's own.

tl;dr - It can be used to back up the opinions stated in a post without spamming the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.