• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin confirm seeking approval for additional calls in Trent Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 170101

Established Member
Commuting from Nuneaton would point more to Birmingham than London I would have thought.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Nuneaton is a very important interchange station between the north west and Leicester & the east. Currently it is an absolute pain to get to with trains from Crewe spending an extra hour diverting via Stoke. An hourly Liverpool or Chester train should stop there.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I think that LM should run 2 trains an hour to Crewe. One calling as now. but one Calling MK, Nuneaton, Tamworth, Lichfield, Rugeley, Stafford, Stoke and Crewe.

Obviously rolling stock is a factor...

pt_mad

Established Member
I think that LM should run 2 trains an hour to Crewe. One calling as now. but one Calling MK, Nuneaton, Tamworth, Lichfield, Rugeley, Stafford, Stoke and Crewe.

Not to mention if there would be paths available.
Sam

And doubling the length of the trains on the current LM service will give the same capacity with little extra person-power required.

The extra possible proposed high speed services would still come in handy though.

The Ham

Established Member

Something like that could happen in 2026 once HS2 releases more paths and in preparation of HS2 reaching Crewe in 2027, however in the short term longer LM services and some extra other services will improve things.

jimm

Established Member
Something like that could happen in 2026 once HS2 releases more paths and in preparation of HS2 reaching Crewe in 2027, however in the short term longer LM services and some extra other services will improve things.

Though I would think that with paths freed up on the WCML between Stafford and Crewe, then LM or whoever comes after it would probably prefer to send a second service that way, given the shorter journey time to Crewe compared with going via Stoke.

This would give far more attractive journey times from the Trent Valley via a change at Crewe, or offer the opportunity for direct services to the likes of Chester - if it gets wired by then - and/or Liverpool

pt_mad

Established Member
Looking at the Lichfield Rail Group's website, it seems they were campaigning for more Virgin stops at weekends. Could be a part of what Virgin were referring to when they said there have been a lot of calls for additional stops at weekends.

http://www.lichfieldrailusers.org.uk/2015/03/newsletter-march-2015/

Part of their newsletter from March 2015:

WCML
The proposal by Great North Western Railway Company, a subsidiary of Alliance
Rail, for “open access” trains featuring Lichfield Trent Valley calls has been refused
by the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) despite earlier approval by Network Rail. We
are not sure whether there is an appeals procedure, but in the meantime are persisting
with seeking extra Virgin calls at weekends after their refusal received before
Christmas to schedule any.

Last edited:

pt_mad

Established Member
Well, most of the May timetable has gone into Open Train Times, and Nuneaton has gained an 0945 Virgin Service fast to Euston.

http://www.opentraintimes.com/locat...on&show_stp=on&show_var=on&show_wtt=on&utf8=✓

The current 0755 Crewe - Euston London Midland service which currently calls at Nuneaton at 0928, will call earlier at Nuneaton at 0916, with an arrival time at Euston of 1029 rather than the current 1049.

So according to Open Train Times, Nuneaton will have a weekday morning London service looking something like this:
06:18 - London Euston VT
0630 - London Euston LM
0708 - London Euston VT
0735 - London Euston VT
0819 - London Euston LM
0846 - London Euston VT
0916 - London Euston LM
0945 - London Euston VT
1036 - London Euston LM
Then hourly LM service

The 1907 Euston - Liverpool weekday service will no longer call at Nuneaton (20:03 currently), but will go fast Euston to Runcorn, then Lime Street.
Instead a 1910 Euston - Holyhead service will call at Nuneaton at 2012, calling Milton Keynes, Nuneaton, Stafford, Crewe and stations to Holyhead.

And most surprising, the current 2200 Euston - Crewe VT service calling along the Trent Valley, will no longer run.

Any changes can be found by bringing up trains from 30th May on open train times
http://www.opentraintimes.com/locat...on&show_stp=on&show_var=on&show_wtt=on&utf8=✓

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And most surprising, the current 2200 Euston - Crewe VT service calling along the Trent Valley, will no longer run.

I use this service once a month normally so will be a shame if it goes. However the inbound working from Chester is still running so it may be the case that not all times are in the system yet.

pt_mad

Established Member
I use this service once a month normally so will be a shame if it goes. However the inbound working from Chester is still running so it may be the case that not all times are in the system yet.

Possibly, however there is a 2140 Euston - Manchester and a 2300 Euston - Manchester in there (not calling in the Trent Valley), so could just be that they no longer want to run the 2200.

Note though the two additional London Midland Trent Valley Services that were annonced as part of the direct award are not in there (yet?). So it could possibly be that one of these will be a later service and run at a time when the current 2200 Euston - Crewe VT service would currently call through the Trent Valley. Thus essentially replacing the 2200 service with a Euston - Crewe LM stopper.

Tamworth and Lichfield. Both have gained a stop on the 0755 Manchester - Euston Service, calling Lichfield and Tamworth at 0901 and 0907 respectively - then fast to London Euston.
Also the 1840 Euston - Manchester service will call at Tamworth and Lichfield at 1943 and 1951 respectively.

Last edited:

cjmillsnun

Established Member
You clearly know nothing about the area. Nuneaton station is far more accessible from Bedworth than Coventry is, in fact some areas of north Coventry, it's easier to get to Nuneaton station. We KNOW lots of people travel from Hartshiil, Exhall, Hinckley, Market Bosworth, Bedworth etc to Nuneaton station.

Also, re the other response, it says on Darlorich's profile he lives in Darlington and works in Fenny Stratford.

Hartshill, Hinckley and Bosworth maybe, but Exhall and Bedduff? You're having a laugh. There are direct train services to Coventry from Bedworth station, and the A444 will take you right to the ring road in Coventry.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Interesting that they have chosen to put extra stops in Manchester/Chester services and speeded up some Liverpools.
There's also time for these to change, and may not have ORR clearance yet anyway.
NR should also be accelerating services via Norton Bridge (more capacity, better paths, improved line speeds), but maybe not till December 2016.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Nothing will get shown for Norton Bridge until Dec 16, easiest way to switch improvements into a timetable.

nuneatonmark

Hartshill, Hinckley and Bosworth maybe, but Exhall and Bedduff? You're having a laugh. There are direct train services to Coventry from Bedworth station, and the A444 will take you right to the ring road in Coventry.

You clearly have never tried to get into central Coventry from the Bedworth area in the rush hour!

Pleased with the extra up am off-peak service. The withdrawal of the 2200 is just stupid unless it is replaced with a semi-fast non-Northampton LM service which I could see might make sense. It's a start, could do with an LM up stopper between the 0630 and 0818 from Nuneaton though.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
You clearly have never tried to get into central Coventry from the Bedworth area in the rush hour!

Bearing in mind I worked in central Coventry for many years and lived in Bedworth when I first moved out...... The congestion in Coventry is nothing like the congestion I encounter on a daily basis in the south.

You want congestion, try driving into central Portsmouth or Southampton during the rush hour, or from a train point of view, getting on any SWT service into waterloo. Seriously you have it easy in the Trent Valley.

Last edited:

pt_mad

Established Member
Wasn't that 2200 train added as an experiment by VT? Perhaps it has not paid its way.

How long has this service been running?

Worth checking whether Rugby has gained any additional stops.

Last edited:

xtradj

Bearing in mind I worked in central Coventry for many years and lived in Bedworth when I first moved out...... The congestion in Coventry is nothing like the congestion I encounter on a daily basis in the south.

You want congestion, try driving into central Portsmouth or Southampton during the rush hour, or from a train point of view, getting on any SWT service into waterloo. Seriously you have it easy in the Trent Valley.

I agree the M27 during rush hour is like no other

All Line Rover

Established Member
...Nuneaton has gained an 0945 Virgin Service fast to Euston. So they will now have a weekday off-peak express service to Euston, and passengers will be able to both travel to and from London on an off-peak (any operator) ticket for the first time in many years.

The 09:45 departure is not off-peak. It arrives in London at 10:53. "Any Permitted" off-peak tickets from Nuneaton (as well as Chester, Crewe, Liverpool, Warrington, Manchester, Stoke, Birmingham, etc), are only valid on arrivals in London after 11:30. The first off-peak train to pass through Nuneaton is at 10:36 (the 09:35 departure from Chester, calling at Crewe at 09:56 and arriving in London at 11:39). Virgin will never call this train at Nuneaton as it is a single Voyager that is already standing room only leaving Crewe.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...the 1840 Euston - Manchester service will call at Tamworth and Lichfield at 1943 and 1951 respectively...

I've noticed that, probably as a result of this, the 18:46 Friday only departure (which is just off-peak - the 18:40 is not) no longer calls at Tamworth or Lichfield. This means that the first off-peak departure for Tamworth and Lichfield passengers on Fridays will be the 19:40 - almost 1 hour later - although the removal of these stops on the 18:46 does speed up the journey for passengers travelling to Stafford and stations further north, meaning that it is no longer overtaken by the 19:30 for passengers travelling to Warrington, Wigan and Preston.

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Please don't stop the Chester services anywhere else Virgin. The 0935 Chester - Euston as a 5 car Voyager is always hideously overcrowded. Rather bizarrely coach D used to be used as First Class until recently, which only gave it 3 coaches of standard. Thank the lord that stopped. Still regularly hear the Train Manager telling customers boarding at Crewe that they won't get a seat and to wait for another service.

The Milton Keynes stops the Chester/N Wales services make often mean these trains have bizarre passenger flows. The 1910 Euston - Holyhead 10 car Voyager is always rammed to Milton Keynes, but I'm frequently left with a table of 4 to myself afterwards (in the rear half which is taken off at Chester anyway). Assume that is the first off-peak of the evening for people going home to MK.

Going back to the original thread some sort of peak Milton Keynes/Rugby/Nuneaton/TV "fast" service is needed......but isn't that what LM do quite well?!?!

All Line Rover

Established Member
The Milton Keynes stops the Chester/N Wales services make often mean these trains have bizarre passenger flows. The 1910 Euston - Holyhead 10 car Voyager is always rammed to Milton Keynes, but I'm frequently left with a table of 4 to myself afterwards (in the rear half which is taken off at Chester anyway). Assume that is the first off-peak of the evening for people going home to MK.

I'm not looking forward to the 19:10 becoming the first off-peak service for Milton Keynes and Nuneaton and Stafford, as well as Crewe and Chester. A longer journey time for passengers to Crewe and Chester and it will be hideously overcrowded at least as far as Nuneaton, and probably Stafford.

james60059

There are a LOT of houses being built or planned in and around Nuneaton at present. Too many some people would say.

There's a hell of a lot planned just up the road in Hinckley and surrounding towns of Barwell and Earl Shilton. So much so, it has been mentioned to reopen the old Elmesthorpe Station (nearer to Barwell and ES than the current Hinckley Station).

But we shall see......

Starmill

Veteran Member
The removal of the railcard easement recently added quite a lot of pressure to first and last off-peak services. Some thought that a good response to this would be more cheap Advance tickets - but given there have been aome pretty significant increases in price and no obvious increase in availability these changes look very damning if you are a long-distance passenger. Slower, busier and more expensive Manchester - London trains than ever before?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The removal of the railcard easement recently added quite a lot of pressure to first and last off-peak services.

So, in other words, as most of us on here expected before it was implemented the change has just resulted in the peak trains being emptier, the shoulder trains being busier than every and therefore generating none of the extra revenue that the change was supposed to generate?

Status
Not open for further replies.