• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class20

Think it might be due to the bus being duel door. No need for an emergency exit at the rear when their is second passenger door nearby. I believe this is similar to the new Hydrogen powered single deckers that are entering service on the RV1 route. They have no offside emergency door as they have centre exit doors.

David.c

Ivo

Established Member
Just a quick question, what happens to all off the ex London buses, I.e the bendys and so on.

It depends on who wants them, really. As a couple of examples, some of the artics can now be found on the south coast (in particular Brighton service 25, which serves the Universities at Falmer 24 hours a day), while some former London Tridents can now be found in parts of Essex (primarily on 102/3/4 between Colchester and Harwich and the 27 in Southend). They tend to stay in the same company though, so the above sets would have come from London Central (Go-Ahead) and First Capital (First, obviously) respectively.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It depends on who wants them, really. As a couple of examples, some of the artics can now be found on the south coast (in particular Brighton service 25, which serves the Universities at Falmer 24 hours a day), while some former London Tridents can now be found in parts of Essex (primarily on 102/3/4 between Colchester and Harwich and the 27 in Southend). They tend to stay in the same company though, so the above sets would have come from London Central (Go-Ahead) and First Capital (First, obviously) respectively.

Norwich First has recieved a load (nearly* replacing the whole of the Norwich fleet :shock:) - of ex First London London Trident's**. Slightly off topic but we have also received some Optare Solo's from First Manchester.

* I say nearly as we still have some single deckers and other double deckers

** I hate them but have to put up with 'em - I wouldn't use 'em if it weren't for my bus pass!

causton

Established Member
Round here in Hertfordshire, Uno and Sullivan Buses take a lot of the buses London doesn't want any more -- there were rumours that Uno would have some bendybuses for the University P+R shuttle but I doubt they could a) afford them b) not fit them anywhere easily c) want them anyway :P and Sullivan send them all back down to London every weekend for rail replacement work anyway :)

(knowing Uno - if they have bendy buses they would end up on all sorts of other routes and end up stuck in tiny villages!)

Voyager 2093

Just a quick question, what happens to all off the ex London buses, I.e the bendys and so on.

It all depends on if the company owns them or leases them.

With First London they send out a lot of their ex London stock to the provinces e.g First Eastern Counties, Glasgow, Leeds and Southampton.

With the bendies they tend to go back to leasing companies such as Dawsons and Ventura, however Arriva as the only company in London to own all their Buses have sent the majority of their bendies out to Malta to take on service there with the recently won contract to operate in Malta.

Stagecoach tend to send most of their 'old stock' to Ensign Bus.

route101

Established Member
Lots of Ex london tridents up here in Glasgow. Not had a new delivery of buses since 2009 apart from the e 300s for the airport service.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I always wondered how a seemingly small operation could manage to be have the world's largest amount of spare stock...

They don't do a lot of normal service work but they do a *lot* of rail replacement work.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Well, it's more because Ensign are primarily a dealer of second hand buses, and only secondarily a (it must be said: consistently - ever since they first started, in the mid-1980s - very very good) bus operator. (Of course their is a divide in practice between the dealership and operation stock)

Indeed, they have shut down/sold off their bus operation division on two separate occasions previously, so as to concentrate on dealing and tourist services in London and elsewhere. - Anyone else remember the "Culture Bus", with DMSs in Yellow and Silver livery? - later taken over by Southend Transport during their, financially disastrous, period of mad, London-centred, expansion)

Ensignbus's first incarnation as a bus operator - which involved itself mostly with what were then LRT tendered routes in East London , and which became Capital Citybus under Hong Kong ownership, is now part of First London. I can't quite remember what became of their second incarnation, which mainly did Essex County Council contracts. But they seem to have been dragged back into operations, although I think their current incarnation is the first one to be primarily concerned with commercial (rather than tendered) operations - they are now the main bus operator in much of the borough of Thurrock.

A pretty good (and well illustrated) overview of their history is here
http://www.ensignbus.com/about_us.htm

Last edited:

DavyCrocket

Ensign also own City Sightseeing the brand. The World's biggest tour bus franchise methinks!

It depends on who wants them, really. As a couple of examples... They tend to stay in the same company though, so the above sets would have come from London Central (Go-Ahead) and First Capital (First, obviously) respectively.

How does a fleet of new London buses get funded in the first place ? If you take the bus route 38: several years ago, that service went over to bendy bus operation. When Arriva (?) retained that contract with the new bendy buses, did an element of the TfL contract payments include leasing the new bendy buses ?

If so, it seems to me that some ex-London bendy buses dotted around the country are part funded with London taxpayers' money.

I have a dim view of private bus operations in this country (especially outside London and Northern Ireland).

Deerfold

Veteran Member
How does a fleet of new London buses get funded in the first place ? If you take the bus route 38: several years ago, that service went over to bendy bus operation. When Arriva (?) retained that contract with the new bendy buses, did an element of the TfL contract payments include leasing the new bendy buses ?

If so, it seems to me that some ex-London bendy buses dotted around the country are part funded with London taxpayers' money.

No, the TfL payment will have assumed aquiring buses for 5 years. If Arriva decided to buy them then that's at their risk (imagine if companies could do that with trains...). A contract may specify new buses or buses under a certain age (which a company may already have or have to lease).

This is a slightly odd one though as the contract was terminated a year early - I don't know how that would work out.

Voyager 2093

No, the TfL payment will have assumed aquiring buses for 5 years. If Arriva decided to buy them then that's at their risk (imagine if companies could do that with trains...). A contract may specify new buses or buses under a certain age (which a company may already have or have to lease).

This is a slightly odd one though as the contract was terminated a year early - I don't know how that would work out.

The contract was terminated early in order to get rid of the bendybuses under Boris Johnson's new scheme.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The contract was terminated early in order to get rid of the bendybuses under Boris Johnson's new scheme.

Yes, I know - that's what the conversation was about. I was saying I don't know how that would affect what they were paid.

nctx

have you seen the state of the tpl's on the 52 route to Victoria .

was on one the other week and the rattle was something else.

Willesden garage just gets the hand me downs.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
have you seen the state of the tpl's on the 52 route to Victoria .

was on one the other week and the rattle was something else.

Willesden garage just gets the hand me downs.

The contract for the 52 specificed new buses introduced in March/April 2001; the next contract in Dec 2005 did not require new buses. I suspect they'll mostly be what's running on the 52.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Lots of Ex london tridents up here in Glasgow. Not had a new delivery of buses since 2009 apart from the e 300s for the airport service.

If its any consolation we've only had three orders of new buses for First in Sheffield since 2002:

2003: 53 plate Geminis for route 41 - now with First in Glasgow
2006: 06 plate Geminis for route 60 - now with First in Glasgow
2008: 08/58 plate Geminis for 47/48/75/76 (most still in Sheffield, but a few moved to Doncaster to cover for other Geminis which are now with First in Glasgow)

:(

Ivo

Established Member
Better than Southend. Just two buses between First and Arriva that are less than ten years old! And guess what... they're both the smallest and the ones that serve the Arriva depot. Sheffield have had quite a good deal by comparison! (I know, not the same size, but neither is Colchester, and both First and Network Colchester have plenty of buses that are under 10 years old.)

Eng274

If its any consolation we've only had three orders of new buses for First in Sheffield since 2002:

2003: 53 plate Geminis for route 41 - now with First in Glasgow
2006: 06 plate Geminis for route 60 - now with First in Glasgow
2008: 08/58 plate Geminis for 47/48/75/76 (most still in Sheffield, but a few moved to Doncaster to cover for other Geminis which are now with First in Glasgow)

:(

last 3 brand new deliveries for First Edinburgh:

2007/8: lots of 57 plate gemini/eclipse (much needed)
2005: 30 omnidekkas, handful of solars
1998(!): 35 olympians...

everything else has been hand-me-downs.. for a fleet of ~420 its pretty poor

Tom B

Established Member
Catch (or even just look at) a FirstBus 57 plate B9TL/Gemini and then do the same with a Lothian 57 plate B9TL/Gemini. You wouldn't believe they were the same age!

Status
Not open for further replies.