• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An alternative to HS2 route, follow the M40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Would love to argue about this all day, but can't and most of the points I was going to make have been made before in this thread but...

Like many before you and many after, you have listened to the myths rather than the facts

Perhaps someone should tell the marketing company. Here's the front page of HS2 Limited:

No, can't see why anyone would get the idea this was about speed!

What is the point of building a new line to classic speeds? None. If a new line is to be built to relieve the existing lines, why shouldn't it be a high speed line?

Much better spent. Consider a journey I only have to do 6 or so times a year.
Aberystwyth to a destination a short £8 taxi ride from Bristol Parkway. That's pretty much a straight line due south-east down through Wales.

Here are my choices for that journey:

8h 30 min total travel time, a 4:30am start, 2 changes each way, and £68.90
Aber > Shrew > Newport > Bristol

-OR-

6 hours total driving, a 6am start, and £30 in fuel (I rather smugly drive an Ibiza Ecomotive and average a geniune 80mpg across that whole journey so admittedly the fuel/ticket difference is even greater for me than most).

Oh, and then there's the joy of the connection inevitably being missed on the return journey so I can add another 2 hours on.
Had too many (Arriva funded) £130 taxi journeys from Shrewsbury...

Oh, and of course, they're on strike today...

Strikes aside, if there was a north-south Wales line, it'd be a no-brainer to take the train. As it is, guess which one I'm forced to go for?

So you'd swap HS2 for a high speed line within Wales?

OK, build something faster, increase capacity, and people will use it, eh?

The M6 toll road was supposed to be the answer to everyone's problems. Increase capacity and traffic jams will be a thing of the past!

In fact, journey times on the M6 are only slightly better than before the toll opened nearly seven years ago and the operator is losing more than £25m a year on the vastly underused road.

The M6 Toll road is privately owned and is not a valid comparison since HS2 will not be privately owned and any privately owned Train Operating Company will still be answerable to the DfT. Regarding the M6 Toll, if the toll was removed (or even if the toll was lowered to a more acceptable amount), then the road would get much more patronage that it currently does.

Regarding your £60b figure (where the hell did you get that from btw?), what you have to bear in mind is that in my opinion, a vast amount of the recent cost increases have been to further mitigate the impact of the line for locals/NIMBYs who will invariably subsequently claim that the costs are spirraling out of control.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
The joy of a connection inevitably missed?

Bloody hell.. there are many ways to argue that HS2 itself may not solve everything or bring us world peace - but do you have to try and paint a picture that suggests rail is so useless there's no point trying?

I am no eco warrier, driving a 2.5ltr turbocharged car that struggles to average more than 25mpg - but if I didn't take the train to work each day, along with tens of thousands of others, the roads would be gridlocked. I tried driving to Old Street (even being able to park outside the congestion zone) and gave up as there was about a 1:10 chance of my journey to, but most often from, work involving traffic or delays that made a 30 mile journey take over two hours. As against around 30 minutes by train, with my feet up (not literally!) reading my Kindle, playing Angry Birds on my mobile or doing some work on my MacBook.

Road needs rail. Even if you never plan to use HS2, you'll benefit from more use of rail when you decide to drive instead. It's a free country, after all.

Finally, I don't know (or care) why HS2 advertises itself purely on speed. But, who cares? The fact is, any idiot can work out the capacity benefits. You've heard it here and must have some common sense, even if you feel the need to exaggerate scenarios to make HS2 sound worse, so surely you accept the capacity argument is stronger than speed?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Perhaps someone should tell the marketing company. Here's the front page of HS2 Limited:

No, can't see why anyone would get the idea this was about speed!

I've said before on here that the capacity argument is more convincing than the speed argument. Fair enough, the presentations are all about speed, because speed sells. Speed is exciting. Improving capacity isn't as catchy. But the capacity improvements are more important and a better justification

Much better spent. Consider a journey I only have to do 6 or so times a year.
Aberystwyth to a destination a short £8 taxi ride from Bristol Parkway. That's pretty much a straight line due south-east down through Wales.

Here are my choices for that journey:

8h 30 min total travel time, a 4:30am start, 2 changes each way, and £68.90
Aber > Shrew > Newport > Bristol

-OR-

6 hours total driving, a 6am start, and £30 in fuel (I rather smugly drive an Ibiza Ecomotive and average a geniune 80mpg across that whole journey so admittedly the fuel/ticket difference is even greater for me than most).

Oh, and then there's the joy of the connection inevitably being missed on the return journey so I can add another 2 hours on.
Had too many (Arriva funded) £130 taxi journeys from Shrewsbury...

Oh, and of course, they're on strike today...

Strikes aside, if there was a north-south Wales line, it'd be a no-brainer to take the train. As it is, guess which one I'm forced to go for?

I was arguing for a Shrewsbury - Bristol service on another thread yesterday. The Marshes line used to have direct services to Bristol, but these were diverted away and everything sent to Cardiff instead (ah, politics, don't you love it... :roll:)

Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury should be increased to hourly over the next few years, with the ERTMS improvements on the line

If there was a north-south Wales line it'd involve a lot of hills and few areas of population. I've seen suggestions about going north from Mertyhr through Brecon and beyond, but it smacks of a political vanity project to me (from the same school of thought as not stopping the WAG Express in English stations like Hereford). Given the gradients/ bends/ constraints on any "North - South" route through Wales, the journey times aren't going to be much better than going east to Shrewsbury and down the line towards Newport?

digitaltoast

So you'd swap HS2 for a high speed line within Wales?
No. I don't think I suggested anything of the sort. Just any sort of line at all would do! And do you reckon linking Aber with, say, Llandovery to link down to Cardiff would cost £33bn?

Regarding the M6 Toll, if the toll was removed (or even if the toll was lowered to a more acceptable amount), then the road would get much more patronage that it currently does.
And of course, the taxpayer would pick up the bill.

Look at the current train costs. Booking a day or few ahead, here are the prices from BHM to London:

Taking 2nd March, offpeak:

Cheapest return, fast, BHM to EUS 1h22m = £64
OR
2h25mins on London Midland return for £17.50

(Yes, the London Midland trains seem to have discomfort designed into them and it's not much fun, but if you're skint and there's a £70 saving in it, as there sometimes is, it's a no-brainer).

So what do you think a ticket on the new faster line will cost? People who can't afford the fast line now won't be able to afford an even more costly line in 20 years.

Regarding your £60b figure (where the hell did you get that from btw?)

I'm just being realistic. The quoted figure is £33bn. Let's look at recent history:

Scottish Parliament Building: Original Estimate in 1997 c£10m-£40m
Opening date set at May 2003. Actual opening date October 2005. Final cost: £414.4m

London 2012 Olympics: Original quote: £2.4bn
Currently stands at: £9.3bn (security alone will be £1.5bn)

Main olympic stadium: 2004 original quote: £282m. Feb 2009: £547M. Now: ???

NHS computer: Original estimate £6.4bn. Stood unfinished at £20bn in 2009. Now: ???

Then there's Metronet and Railtrack. It's not just money they can't figure out.
Apparently, a maximum of 11,000 workers would come in from Eastern Europe, said the government.
What is it now? 3 million?

Or the helicopters which can't fly in fog, or the fighter jets which are so over-budget and late that it's cheaper to cut them up for the scrap than finish building them?

Any large government project usually ends up being a disaster. OK, so Labour have been the worst offender, especially for the railways, with their obsession with bonkers pfi/ppp scheme and their lies about reducing fares. But this government doesn't seem to have grown a pair either, and all the governments in between now and when the project is finished are going to be just as wasteful.

So maybe £60bn is being optimistic. I'll say £70bn and 5 years late.

Put 2026 in your diary, look me up. We'll see how the project is going and what the finances are looking like, eh?

How's the Channel Tunnel working out, by the way?

The joy of a connection inevitably missed?

Bloody hell.. there are many ways to argue that HS2 itself may not solve everything or bring us world peace - but do you have to try and paint a picture that suggests rail is so useless there's no point trying?

[...] journey to work involving traffic or delays that made a 30 mile journey take over two hours. As against around 30 minutes by train, with my feet up (not literally!) reading my Kindle, playing Angry Birds on my mobile or doing some work on my MacBook.

Eh? Are we reading a different thread?

I said I'd much rather take the train, but for me doing a massive "Z" shape across the country is not an option compared with driving. The train is more expensive and totally impractical for my Aber > Bristol trips. But for Aber > London (even when not booked much in advance) I'd be mad to drive.

My point was that from Bham to London, there are already 3 different routes you can take, 3 or 4 different operators and fares for £6 to £196.

Wouldn't it be better getting some infrastructure where there is none?

Finally, I don't know (or care) why HS2 advertises itself purely on speed. But, who cares? The fact is, any idiot can work out the capacity benefits. You've heard it here and must have some common sense, even if you feel the need to exaggerate scenarios to make HS2 sound worse, so surely you accept the capacity argument is stronger than speed?

What's the difference in spacing required between trains running at 250mph vs the current speed?
I can't remember what it was, but I distinctly remember hearing the extra capacity argument being quite tidily demolished with some fairly comprehensive figures on Radio 4 in the evening, must've been around 6 months ago, almost certainly on PM.

The day that someone shows me solid figures regarding capacity, claimed savings in carbon emissions, REAL WORLD project passenger figures and an absolute guarantee from contractors on any tender, I'll happily eat my hat.

Until then, I predict it'll go the same way as every other unthought out pet project - a series of private contractors will cream off huge profits, hold the project to ransom, go bankrupt, agreements will be redrawn and the whole thing will come in 5 or 10 years overdue, at least 200% over-budget and be just another millennium dome.

This feels like arguing with pro-solar PV subsidy types. "Look, stop talking about figures, it's a great idea! Yes, I know the figures have been based on an entirely different latitude and a theoretical maximum output which is never achieved and I know that inverter and transmission losses haven't been taken into account, nor have maintenance and panel degradation costs or that fact that the power is generated at precisely the wrong time and in fact this will mean not one single watt of generator capacity can be taken offline. Just ignore all that annoying finance and physics nonsense and love it, or we'll brand you a planet-raping fascist!". (That's actually not too much of an exaggeration of a typical argument. I really feel for anti-PV campaigner George Monbiot sometimes!)

Really, some of the arguments feel not that much different here. The goalposts of the purpose of the line seem to keep moving, and we're just supposed to ignore the financial side of things. Sorry, this is 2011. We've had that kind of thinking for 13 years and it broke the country. Next?

Got the dates in the diary? If Google Calendar is still around in 2026 to remind me, let's talk then...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Smaller stations on the Doncaster to Wakefield line would be closed from wherever it was necessary to merge the high speed line in unless sufficient space could be found to squeeze conventional and HS tracks together.

You may have difficulty with that one. The whole of Leeds - Doncaster constitutes a fairly busy commuter route in both directions with intermediate stations very well used.

jon0844

Veteran Member
@digitaltoast, this thread has more than just you posting in it for one.

Second, I believe the gap between the trains was suggested as being around every 3 minutes (at max capacity, which isn't likely to be all the time at all). The trains, sadly, won't be running at 250mph yet.

I do agree that like nearly every project, there's scope to be held to ransom by unions and other problems.. but not all projects overrun. Some are completed early and on budget.

The funding is a valid issue. The viability of HS2 is not an issue at all, and is the essential first step towards a network of high speed/high capacity rail that will serve future generations - who will be almost certainly starting to see fossil fuels costing the earth (literally).

Geezertronic

Established Member
No. I don't think I suggested anything of the sort. Just any sort of line at all would do! And do you reckon linking Aber with, say, Llandovery to link down to Cardiff would cost £33bn?

Since the line from London to Birmingham is quoted as £17bn (not £33bn or even £60bn), and I don't know the distance between Cardiff and Llandovery compared to London to Birmingham, I'll take your word for it...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Maybe the £60bn took into account the likely overspend, and it was worth doubling again just to make sure. To be honest, I'd triple it again, twice, and then I'd be able to sleep more comfortably. :D

Maybe these people are actually politicians using reverse psychology on us all, by making us all think it really will cost a gazillion pounds, so when it's done for only £20bn or £30bn we all get to think it was a bargain.

Few people have any comprehension of this type of money, or the fact that a sizeable chunk of that money could be invested in UK workers and 'UKPLC' (maybe not all of it though) so the money does come back into the economy. And how many years until it breaks even and gives an even bigger boost to the economy?

brianthegiant

This feels like arguing with pro-solar PV subsidy types. "Look, stop talking about figures, it's a great idea! Yes, I know the figures have been based on an entirely different latitude and a theoretical maximum output which is never achieved
Which figures used for the UK are based on a different latitude exactly? can you back this up?

and I know that inverter and transmission losses haven't been taken into account,
Not true, all industry standard PV design / modelling packages do account for all system losses incle inverter, cables to consumer unit. Transmission losses are irrelevant for PV systems since they're connected to the low voltage or medium voltage distribution network not to National Grid's Transmission network. The small scale of PV systems means that the energy the produce will mostly be used in the vicinity of the PV array. ( the distribution network operating as a 2-way system in this regard) (hmm do I sound like I actually know what I'm talking about on this ;)

nor have maintenance and panel degradation costs
any investor worth their salt will look at this

or that fact that the power is generated at precisely the wrong time
also not true, pv output synchronises well with comercial / industrial demand, all demands are effectively aggregated by virtue of being interlinked on the network,

and in fact this will mean not one single watt of generator capacity can be taken offline.
Large power stations are controlled dynamically fuel input is reduced when demand reduces, output from microgeneration behaves like negative demand and is passively treated as such by the network controls

Just ignore all that annoying finance and physics nonsense and love it, or we'll brand you a planet-raping fascist!". (That's actually not too much of an exaggeration of a typical argument. I really feel for anti-PV campaigner George Monbiot sometimes!).
Whilst we're on the subject of finance, have you taken account that cost per kWh of most renewables is continuing to fall as development and economies of scale take effect, whilst cost per kwh for fossil fuels and nuclear continue to rise due to scarcity and Safety requirements respectively. Parity in costs even for PV is realistic. Dont forget also about the various subsidies for fossil fuel generation over the years... Maybe it is time to redress the balance a little..

digitaltoast

Right, I just watched that Pete Waterman thing. He really failed to make the case.

His argument boils down to "we don't know what the numbers will be. Build it, and see if they come. If you don't build it, you'll never know".

Sorry, but that's not the £60bn question answered really!

On the finances of it, as in, what the money COULD be spent on, his replies were
"This isn't about tax" (oh, yes it is!) and "this is a different budget" (as if there are different pots of money!).
He sounded about as confused as people who think that National Insurance is for hospitals and pensions, and that road and fuel tax gets spend on transport, or that council tax is for local policing. It doesn't work like that, but it is ALL our money.

He also brought out the tired old "we need to create jobs" argument. Come on Pete, there are LOADS of jobs. If there weren't, we wouldn't be importing 3 million overseas workers, would we? For goodness sake, companies are up in arms when it's suggested any sort of cap, as they won't be able to find workers for the jobs. There's no shortage of work!

Now, onto the PV argument. This isn't really the place for it, but as I started it, I'll just say that almost all the points you make have been thrashed out and made by myself and others in this thread:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=35345925#post35345925

However, I'll answer a few specifics while trying not to get dragged off-topic.

Which figures used for the UK are based on a different latitude exactly? can you back this up?

Because manufacturers always quote (and installers always use) maximum theoretical peak. From: http://lowcarbonkid.blogspot.com/2010/03/does-pv-solar-electricity-work-in-uk.html

Solar panel manufacturers quote figures for the “peak power” and “installed capacity” of their products. According to industry standards these are the amounts of electrical output in watts that they would generate if one kilowatt per square metre of the sun’s energy were to fall on them. But how close is this to the amount of sunshine at your location? These figures can be found out from the same source on insolation given in the section on solar water heating. For most of the latitudes that cover England and Wales, the summer insolation is a fraction of that figure. Even Europe’s sunniest place, Limassol in Cyprus, only gets 325 W per square metre. London gets 198 and Edinburgh 172 in July. In December, the figures are 96, 22 and 13 respectively. So in the winter, it’s a lot less -- and that’s when you need more power because the lights will be on for longer.

On average, Edinburgh receives just 9% of the solar energy required by the panel to generate what it says it will on the box.

Lesson 2: Suppose you installed 30m2 of panels that were quoted by the manufacturer as having a peak power or installed capacity of 5.7kWp. Suppose they were installed in London, which has an average insolation figure over the year of 109W/m2. In that case you wouldn’t get 5.7kW averaged over the year, but 0.109 x 5.7kW = 621W. However that is the average figure.

In darkest December they were generating just 125W, or enough to power 10 low energy light bulbs. In fact it might be even less than this, because of shading, downtime and other system inefficiencies.

The small scale of PV systems means that the energy the produce will mostly be used in the vicinity of the PV array. ( the distribution network operating as a 2-way system in this regard) (hmm do I sound like I actually know what I'm talking about on this ;)
You sound like you think you do, yes.

pv output synchronises well with comercial / industrial demand

Oh dear. Take a look at this graph:
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/Data/Realtime/Demand/demand24.htm

At mid-day, the time of maximum sun, the load is around 50gigawatts. At 6pm, the load is around 53gigawatts.
Of which not one single solitary watt will be provided by solar PV.

the cost per kWh of most renewables is continuing to fall as development and economies of scale take effect

Again, not true:

The price of solar panels fell steadily for 40 years, until 2004 when high subsidies in Germany drastically increased demand there and greatly increased the price of purified silicon

Maybe it is time to redress the balance a little..
Redressing the balance doesn't mean paying someone 8* generation price to make something grossly inefficient, then making everyone else pay into a pot so that a select elite can be paid 3x retail price for something which will never pay for itself if left to stand on its own merit.

Have you read http://www.withouthotair.com/ ? You can read it for free at the website, but buy the book from Amazon. Well worth it.

While you wait for delivery, you might want to read this, too:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/mar/01/solar-panel-feed-in-tariff

The reason I went into the solar thing is that I see the same sort of fuzzy arguments being used about HS2.

Someone, make me a SOLID case, both in layman's and technical terms.
Tell me about the embodied carbon. Show me you understand drag, inverse square law and energy use. Explain to me what these trains will run on (Hint: It's either fossil or nuclear. What's your poison?).

Show me solid guarantees about use. Don't start whiffling on about connecting airports but then neglect to tell me it'll be about 10-20 year before it actually connects to Heathrow (which in all likeliness won't be there then).

And that reminds me of the Heathrow Express. Don't even start me on that :)

The people aren't daft.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Look at the current train costs. Booking a day or few ahead, here are the prices from BHM to London:

Taking 2nd March, offpeak:

Cheapest return, fast, BHM to EUS 1h22m = £64
OR
2h25mins on London Midland return for £17.50

(Yes, the London Midland trains seem to have discomfort designed into them and it's not much fun, but if you're skint and there's a £70 saving in it, as there sometimes is, it's a no-brainer).

So what do you think a ticket on the new faster line will cost? People who can't afford the fast line now won't be able to afford an even more costly line in 20 years.

Again, this isn't just about people travelling from London to Birmingham, the line would involve trains running to Manchester/ Glasgow/ Newcastle/ Paris etc

However, since you make the point, I'd respond by pointing out that the £64 trains are pretty busy, and demand is rising. One way to ensure cheaper seats are available is obviously to increase supply of seats between our two biggest cities. There's no paths spare on the WCML, and trains are already being extended to the maximum length for platforms, so how else do you meet increased demand from a rising population without a new line? Because if you can't build a new line to take some of that demand then the chances of getting a seat on the WCML without booking in advance are going to get slimmer and slimmer...

TGV

Digitaltoast - I can make that argument from a technical standpoint. I am a rolling stock engineer on high speed trains. Not those (admittedly very good) diesel things used in the UK - real high speed railways. What I cannot do is talk about anything financial because I don't know what it'll cost to build and run HS2. Nobody does for sure. I suspect no matter what I can put together as a technical expertise on the subject will change your mind as you have made your opinion clear. Nevertheless if YOU have some specific questions then do please ask. Your opinion has been perfectly valid as an opposer to the project however it is typically broad. Refine your concerns down. I understand aerodynamic drag. My thesis 12 years ago was based on aerodynamics and while CFD technology has improved, the laws of physics haven't changed therefore I assume what got me a degree is still valid! I'm mechanically based specialising in suspensions, wheel/rail dynamics and coupling systems but have electrical experience, particularly with current collection at high speeds. If any of that sounds like something that can answer your questions then shoot - I will answer honestly if I can.

High Speed 2 Would be much more useful If it did the whole West Coast as Virgin Services seem to crawl back Southbound through Milton Keynes Central.

It seems a waste doing it to Birmingham this would be about 35- 45 minutes hardly value for money

tbtc

Veteran Member
High Speed 2 Would be much more useful If it did the whole West Coast as Virgin Services seem to crawl back Southbound through Milton Keynes Central.

It seems a waste doing it to Birmingham this would be about 35- 45 minutes hardly value for money

London - Birmingham would only be stage one (with trains able to continue up the WCML/ existing lines to provide faster London services to Manchester/Glasgow etc)

Stage two would be to go further north (Lancashire/ Yorkshire etc). However, there is a logic to doing it in stages

jon0844

Veteran Member
I doubt we have the money or the resources to do it in anything but stages.

Still, the anti-HS2 brigade do seem to be very keen to try and make HS2 out to be little more than short line to Birmingham, and thus a lot of money for little benefit.

However, that 'lot of money' has not been quoted as £60bn yet I keep seeing it mentioned here, with the natural assumption that it will probably double or triple during construction.

I can handle arguments for and against when they are from well informed people, but when people seem to just make things up, exaggerate things or paint ridiculous pictures of why something is doomed to fail, it seems like the argument is lost.

Nym

Established Member
Considering we have learned a lot of lessons from HS1, a magaproject like this really does need to be done in stages, I wouldn't be suppried if St Pancras - Rugley was open before Euston or Curzon Street. Preview service anyone?

Chris125

Established Member
In theory, it is being done in stages - this is the first stage, Manc/Leeds is the second. Euston-Fazely St is the only practical way of providing a useful service so unless there's a delay with Fazely St and trains terminate at Brum Airport i doubt there'll be any public service before the whole line is available.

Chris

Last edited:

dalmahoyhill

Wow for a rail forum there is some amazing ignorance written here by Mr Digitaltoast. It is like they have let the daily mail readership loose to have a rant without a grasp of the technical issues. Do you know much about trains or the High speed proposal?

Look the railway is going to be high speed, why not call it a high speed railway? “High speed, high capacity, trunk line relieving passenger railway” really isn’t so catchy. Yes the press have latched onto high speed and the 20min savings to Birmingham but you and the press are missing the bigger picture. The press really don’t really do in depth reporting. They have never mentioned about increased capacity, improved reliability, more freight paths, increased local services and lower maintenance costs on the existing lines.

Do you know nothing of the history of the West Coast main line upgrade and the development of high speed rail lines? I can understand Daily Mail readers saying we should spend money on our existing lines but I would have thought you would understand the technical issues better?

You cannot provide the capacity required by upgrading existing lines. It was tried with the WCML upgrade, costs blew out from £2.5 billion to £9 bill and even now London –Birmingham is up to capacity at peak times. You cannot install ECMS signalling on classic trunk lines that was tried and failed abysmally. In the next five years other parts of the route will be near saturation.

To run virgin’s high frequency timetable they have had to reduce paths for freight and local passenger trains. HS2 would free up mountains of capacity. The full network will relieve the WCML, Midland and ECML. Think about it, how do you do construction, track and signalling works on a line that is running at capacity? You can only do it during weekends and during the night. You only have 6 hrs to do this work, this is nothing, so for each shutdown only tiny amounts of work gets done at large expense setting up and getting access, and then you have to wait a week to do any more. It is a very expensive way of doing things. The audit office looked into the proposed ECML upgrade and said it would go the way of the WCML upgrade, the costs would blow out.

That’s why services on most main lines are no quicker than 20 years ago because of capacity issues.

We and the Americans (with the east coast Acela) are the only countries who have attempted these upgrades to traditional lines; everyone else has built high speed lines.

Plus the costs of building a new ‘traditional’ line (say 125mph) would hardly be any less than building a new high speed railway and wouldn’t steal market share from the airlines.

Plus you got your facts wrong. The £33bill is for both lines to Manchester and leeds, not London Birmingham which is the £22 billion. As for projects going overspent, well high speed one was built to time and budget and finished early. The figure you quoted of £60bill is plucked out of the air.

As for the other overspends you mentioned:

Olympics- The £2billion was a lie by the government to get people to buy into it. £9bill was always the probable cost once you took into account all the land remediation, transport links and general building required. Blame your politicians for saying anything to win it. I would agree that is a waste of money, I think the Olympics is overrated, I would rather it have been spent on HS2!

Scottish Parliament. The government kept on changing its mind and made changes during construction and add anti terrorism works which pushed the final price up. That’s why you shouldn’t start changing things when construction has started. Good thing the HS2 line has already been designed in reasonable detail.

M6 Toll is a PFI. No government money has been lost on it. Numbers has not been realised because people still use the old M6 and are prepared to sit in traffic rather than pay the £4. People have the choice and they choose to do it.
Metronet, A badly written PFI contract forced on London transport by the treasury. The consortium could take the profit with none of the risk. HS2 is not being acquired under this method.

Railtrack- Who did the WCML upgrade which cost so much… which is what you are proposing rather than high spend rail.

What has the NHS IT project got to do with construction projects?

Same for MOD projects, complete different sector and culture. Since I last looked british aerospace were not building railways.

And for other projects you would probably lump in….

Wembley. Was always going to cost £800mill for a stadium of this size. The Australian contractor bid £300 million to undercut the opposition and tried to claw the money back through legal claims, a cynical exercise and it has meant the company had to withdraw from the UK because of the reputational damage.

Channel Tunnel- Construction was actually delivered to time and budget, it the financing model that has led it to loose money. It raised all its money privately and its revenues did not match its interest repayments. Secondly its been hampered by inter European haggling over access rights and charges. Lastly with the open borders policy of the EU usage should rise again/

So as you can see different reasons for each one. So what relationship these construction projects bear to High speed rail, you explain to me? High speed rail is a know and quantifiable design. I have read the feasibility studies and they are well written and considered, this is one example of the government actually doing things well. Lord Adonis was a good transport secretary, and surprisingly our new transport secretary is not too bad either. For once we are actually planning for the future rather than reacting to issues when they have arisen which is the way we normally do things, half arsed and piecemeal. What you are proposing is sticking plasters rather than any plan for our transport.

Wouldn’t it be great if our power, water, economic and transport policies were based on Digitaltoast’s thinking? “It is of no benefit to me, so I don’t want it!” Yes you might do Aberystwyth to Bristol numerous times each year but not many other people do. But I am sure building a new rail line through mid wales for your personal use is good economics. You and the 10 other passengers who would use it! You know the Tsar of Russia built the Moscow-St Petersburg line for exclusive use of the aristocracy and look where that got him!!

Mid Wales and the Marches are lightly populated (and before you have a go, I am from the Marches) whereas London through to Birmingham and Leeds contains a significant proportion of the UK population. If you wanted to deal with rising passenger numbers where would you add capacity and new routes?

digitaltoast

You cannot provide the capacity required by upgrading existing lines. It was tried with the WCML upgrade, costs blew out from £2.5 billion to £9 bill
The figure you quoted of £60bill is plucked out of the air.
As for the other overspends you mentioned:
Olympics- The £2billion was a lie by the government to get people to buy into it. £9bill was always the probable cost once you took into account all the land remediation, transport links and general building required. Blame your politicians for saying anything to win it

OK, I take your points. You put up a good robust argument, although I have no idea what the Daily Mail has to do with any of this - you mentioned it a couple of times. Are they involved in the process in some way?

So you found one project which came in on time and under-budget, but if politicians will "say anything to win it", why wouldn't that be the case here?

Still, you've defended it well, so respect to you on that. (I'm still going to stick to my financial prediction though!)

route:oxford

Established Member
As an alternative to HS2, why not upgrade the A41 from a dual carriageway to a 6 lane motorway with designated central bus/coach lane and extend it to Birmingham?

It's already a "scar" on the Chilterns anyway - so widening it wouldn't make matters much worse.

LE Greys

Established Member
As an alternative to HS2, why not upgrade the A41 from a dual carriageway to a 6 lane motorway with designated central bus/coach lane and extend it to Birmingham?

It's already a "scar" on the Chilterns anyway - so widening it wouldn't make matters much worse.

Frankly, the Chilterns are "scarred" by more than enough A roads anyway, not to mention the M40 and several railways (although I reckon a well-made railway improves the landscape). I'd much rather have a proper railway than that. If they want to build more roads, the money would be better spent completing the A1(M) or dualling the A1 north of Newcastle. Not that I want to start another argument. :roll:

tbtc

Veteran Member

It should be pointed out that the houses in the Chilterns (which all these NIMBYs live in) are also "scars" on the landscape. They are pefectly happy for their houses/ roads/ villages/ towns to be built there, blotting the landscape (but complain once anything else gets built in the area) :roll:

brianthegiant

It should be pointed out that the houses in the Chilterns (which all these NIMBYs live in) are also "scars" on the landscape. They are pefectly happy for their houses/ roads/ villages/ towns to be built there, blotting the landscape (but complain once anything else gets built in the area) :roll:
you make a good point here - where were the Ramblers Association, and Wendover Society when the Wendover Bypass was being built...

tbtc

Veteran Member
you make a good point here - where were the Ramblers Association, and Wendover Society when the Wendover Bypass was being built...

I'd like to know where the Ramblers were when all these new houses were being built, and the Countryside Alliance etc

Seems to be a case of "I want to build somewhere rural, and then object to anyone else who wants to do the same after me"

brianthegiant

Because manufacturers always quote (and installers always use) maximum theoretical peak.
Wrong again, If you're going to criticise PV you need to understand the difference between energy and power. You are right to say that PV components are rated at peak power ( in the same way that if you buy a car it will be sold based on its peak power (in horsepower) even though you wont necesarily use it at its peak power all the time). BUT.. PV installers are required by MCS rules
http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/
to provide an energy prediction in kWh / Year based on local conditions & system design using the SAP methodololgy
http://www.bre.co.uk/sap2009/page.jsp?id=1642

Oh dear. Take a look at this graph:
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/Data/Realtime/Demand/demand24.htm
At mid-day, the time of maximum sun, the load is around 50gigawatts. At 6pm, the load is around 53gigawatts.
Of which not one single solitary watt will be provided by solar PV.
You oversimplify the complexity to try to make your point. No-one is pretending solar PV will contribute 100% of UK electricity. Therefore its not relevant that PV doesn't 100% correlate with maximum demand.
Anyway whilst I'd like to spend all day educating you about the facts about renewable energy, I suspect you dont really want to hear it & only come on here to cause trouble anyway.

dalmahoyhill

digtaltoast

Well I work in the construction industry and have worked on some rail projects and projects similar to the WCML upgrade in that it required shutdown planning. That’s where my experience and knowledge comes from. That’s why I know that applying the logic of reading the press, taking it at face value and applying it elsewhere doesn’t stack up. Personally I would take all reporting by the mainstream press with a pinch of salt, they don’t do nuance and understanding. It also means I know when politicians have a grasp of construction projects or when they are just lying to people. They did for the Olympics but in the case of HS2 they have actually taken experts advice for once, same for Crossrail. That’s why I praised Lord Adonis for his foresight. His electrification plan and his plans for HS2 was the 1st bit of common sense in years.

Well the project I used as an example of being on time and under budget is a high speed rail project. That’s the relevance; it is the same type of project. The same people who delivered this to time and budget are delivering the reports on routes and alignment of HS2. Is there any reason to think it will be done any differently?
Some of cross rail is being managed by the same team hence they wanted the majority of it completed before they jump onto HS2. The people doing this are experienced (and work for my rivals).
Plus we always hear about projects that go over, there are plenty that are done to time and budget and you won’t hear about them. Off the top of my head I can think of the following.
Millenium stadium,
Emirates stadium.
Second Severn Crossing.
The millennium dome (though again if it was needed in the 1st place is a moot point)

I would never defend bad projects or the failings of the construction and rail industry, and there are things we can do much better, but inherently you are bundling up a lot of high profile failures and applying it carte blanche to this project.

If you are interested in becoming more informed there has been a report into the failings of the construction industry that explains where some of the issues lie with poorly delivered construction projects.
http://www.constructingexcellence.org.uk/pdf/Wolstenholme_Report_Oct_2009.pdf
If you are interested in failings and workings in the rail industry I suggest you buy modern railways and read roger fords column.
Much of the higher costs for the UK is by our appalling bad and drawn out planning system and the lack of long term planning by our politicians who change their mind and want instant fixes, i.e. the WCML upgrade. This is why the decision to proceed with HS2 is so refreshing; it is actually the first good piece of long term transport planning in my lifetime.
Our transport policy has been built around adding piecemeal bits of capacity when we already have problems. With the WCML they just took the lowest cost option proposed by Railtrack and didn’t look at the long-term picture or understand the risks.

route:oxford

Established Member
I believe councillors working from this building in Aylesbury are complaining about the potential "blot" on the landscape.

Attachments

• 272207_676089c9.jpg
    272207_676089c9.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 16

brianthegiant

I believe councillors working from this building in Aylesbury are complaining about the potential "blot" on the landscape.
Ah yes affectionately known as 'Pooleys Palace' in Aylesbury, after the County Architect at the time. In the process of Pooleys Palace and the Friars Square shopping centre (think 60s concrete disaster) it they knocked down large swathes of old Aylesbury including a lot of buildings which would now certainly be listed or in conservation areas.
They've just done the same again recently knocking down bits of Aylesbury to build a new theatre (including the Ship Public house, my former local) So Bucks county council are no angels when it comes to knocking things down thats for sure... maybe a different set of rules apply when the buildings affected are in rural areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.