• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£10m to invest in the future of a brunel masterpiece

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Plans to rennovate one of my favourite rail bridges - the Tamar bridge.
Work due to start before the end of this year.
The most complex plan ever to refurbish the Royal Albert bridge has been finalised and Network Rail will soon be tendering for contract to carry out the improvement work.

The 151 year-old structure, which carries a busy mainline that is frequently used by around 30 trains each day, will be strengthened, restored and repainted over the next three years.

Corroded elements on the bridge will be repaired and extra efforts will also be taken to restore Brunel's original design. These include removing redundant bridge elements - lower diagonal bracings - installed in the 1970s and using special bolts that are similar in design to Victorian rivets.

The rail landmark and gateway into Cornwall will also be spruced up with a new lick of paint to significantly improve the surrounding environment. A total area of 20,000 square metres – about three football pitches – with 30 coats of paint on the main spans will be blast removed before being re-painted over, using a more effective three-coat painting system.

The Royal Albert bridge will be painted goose grey, so that it is compatible with the colour of the bridge when it was listed and the bridge's aesthetic can also be sustained for a longer period of time.

The structure was listed Grade 1 in 1952 by the English Heritage, which has also backed the improvement scheme.
Full news announcement here: http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/Press-Releases/-10M-TO-INVEST-IN-THE-FUTURE-OF-A-BRUNEL-MASTERPIECE-142b/SearchCategoryID-7.aspx

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
Great news, and should be worthwhile aesthetically. This is probably my third favourite railway bridge in the UK, behind the Forth and Tay bridges respectively. I'll go to get some shots once the construction date is clearly visible again (it wasn't on my previous visit)

Status
Not open for further replies.