• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘Must do’ European Loco Hauled Services

eastwestdivide

Established Member
From October 2022, on the RhB...
1) Train from Tirano looking forwards, Allegra unit pulling coaches and wagons:
Tirano looking forward.jpg

2) from the same window looking back at the last coach and the wagons:
Tirano looking back.jpg

3) the observation end of the last car on a push-pull set running St Moritz to Chur, loco visible through the end window:
Push pull rear obs car.jpg

4) View from that same observation car backwards to loco and postal container wagons:
push pull looking back.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

Budapest (Hungary) to Sibiu (Romania) daytime train. Proper compartment carriages throughout, drops Hungarian stock at border and picks up Romanian stock other side. Great scenery in Romania, plenty of diesel loco hauled locals too. The daytime train allows you to view progress of high speed line adjacent, utilises bits of it occasionally.

Lyon to Avignon diversions via Rhone west bank, one loco hauled a day. Interesting route (more so than the usual route) with stops at two stations opened especially for the diversions. Due to run this Spring/Summer.

Lisbon to Guarda out via Coimbra back via Castelo Branco. Very scenic, high altitude route, all electric intercity trains (think Corail 1980s). Makes a decent day trip, & can also be done from Porto, change Coimbra B out, Entrencamento return.

Last edited:

superalbs

Established Member
Budapest (Hungary) to Sibiu (Romania) daytime train. Proper compartment carriages throughout, drops Hungarian stock at border and picks up Romanian stock other side. Great scenery in Romania, plenty of diesel loco hauled locals too. The daytime train allows you to view progress of high speed line adjacent, utilises bits of it occasionally.
Romanian high-speed line? I must be missing something!

ricohallo

Thanks everyone for some great stuff so far, feel free to keep the suggestions coming. Is there anything else in Germany or Poland perhaps?
The summer only additional trains between Gdynia and Hel, old double deck coaches hauled by a small diesel loco which looks more like a shunting locomotive. Also the loco hauled TLK and IC trains from Gdynia to Łeba, on a line which is only operated during summer season.

peteb

Romanian high-speed line? I must be missing something!
Yes it's true. The old line is very twisty. The new line straightens a lot out. Sometimes the train uses the new formation, but you can see the old formation a short distance away. Tracks already lifted from some sections of old formation, leaving wayside station buildings marooned, still occupied by the flag waving station master,1000002318.jpg but new stations under construction on new formation. Some great new bridges too.

superalbs

Established Member
Yes it's true. The old line is very twisty. The new line straightens a lot out. Sometimes the train uses the new formation, but you can see the old formation a short distance away. Tracks already lifted from some sections of old formation, leaving wayside station buildings marooned, still occupied by the flag waving station master,View attachment 157474 but new stations under construction on new formation. Some great new bridges too.
Interesting, where exactly is this?

rvdborgt

Lyon to Avignon diversions via Rhone west bank, one loco hauled a day. Interesting route (more so than the usual route) with stops at two stations opened especially for the diversions. Due to run this Spring/Summer.
Will trains (TER presumably?) run the entire route Lyon-Avignon via the west bank or only part of it? Or does it depend on the date/period?

peteb

Will trains (TER presumably?) run the entire route Lyon-Avignon via the west bank or only part of it? Or does it depend on the date/period?
Apparently yes. Last time I did it they cut the route short and we crossed the Rhone just south of Valence. But this time I think it goes all the way to Avignon on West bank so arrives facing "north".

Interesting, where exactly is this?
Ok, the photo was taken at 1458 on 09/05/2023. We were on IC 75 between Budapest and Sibiu. So if the train was on time we would have been between Radna and Savirsin. The train runs along the wide valley of the River Mures and the bridge is over that.

Last edited:

superalbs

Established Member
Apparently yes. Last time I did it they cut the route short and we crossed the Rhone just south of Valence. But this time I think it goes all the way to Avignon on West bank so arrives facing "north".

Ok, the photo was taken at 1458 on 09/05/2023. We were on IC 75 between Budapest and Sibiu. So if the train was on time we would have been between Radna and Savirsin. The train runs along the wide valley of the River Mures and the bridge is over that.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

rvdborgt

Thanks, I found a PDF on the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes TER website, with 1 train Avignon-Lyon and 2 trains Lyon-Avignon on the west bank. All trains 3-21 June Mon-Fri, and they indeed also call at 2 stations on the west bank. Any idea whether there will also be diversions after 21 June?

AdamWW

Established Member
Czechia: Tabor-Bechyne is amusing, 1500V centre cab electric hauling a single coach, sometimes railbus trailers.

And it's also a 1.5 kV branch in 3 kV territory. I believe the trains are hauled to and from the depot across the main line by a diesel shunter.

It also finishes with a rather impressive bridge over a river, enhanced by the fact that it runs over the bridge on a road. Not many places you can look out of the back of a train and see cars following along behind.

In the summer, at least in previous years, they have run historic stock (I think just at weekends), some of it in place of a regular train at normal fares.

Well worth a trip if in the area.

If coming from Prague you can probably still get there and back on a loco hauled train.

Also for not much longer: hauled Intercity in Spain Badajoz, Almeria (scenery) etc, to be replaced by S-730 units once the much-delayed cascade starts.

If those are the ones hauled by a pair of 67 lookalikes, they are quite a sight.

Narrow-gauge oddity: Tremesna-Osoblaha - CD-operated narrow gauge regular service at normal ultra-cheap fares plus a border-of-empires feel explaining why it was built in the first place (rather than a branch from the flatlands of then-German now-Polish Silesia).

For narrow gauge I'd highly recommend the Septemvri–Dobrinishte line in Bulgaria - a very scenic railway that twists and turns through mountains with lots of tunnels and a 360 degree curve. 760 mm gauge but still, so far as I know, locomotive hauled, and used very much as local transport. It feels very much like a proper loco hauled train just in miniature. You'll get even more impressive scenery in Switzerland but not, I think, a train like this.

Massively long and heavy Finnish night trains to/from the north. Up to about 12 double-deck coaches plus car carriers.

Including being able to cross the Arctic circle on a train.

I'd also add the "Alex" train between Prague and Munich.

I've only been on it when it joined/split with another route in Germany which it no longer does, but I presume that it still runs with a mix of Czech and German stock with at least two engine changes as it goes from electric to diesel and back to electric lines. And I have read that extra coaches are now added in Germany in lieu of the split, and possibly also some for local travel in Czechia (when I used it last, one carriage just ran between Prague and Plzen).

It goes through nice if not spectacular scenery, and despite linking the capital of Prague with a large city in Germany part of it is on a rather rural single track line.

At least a few years ago there were still semaphones on part of the route - which you can get a good view of by looking out of the back of the train.

peteb

Thanks, I found a PDF on the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes TER website, with 1 train Avignon-Lyon and 2 trains Lyon-Avignon on the west bank. All trains 3-21 June Mon-Fri, and they indeed also call at 2 stations on the west bank. Any idea whether there will also be diversions after 21 June?
Only if the engineering works over-run. In my experience if anything they may finish sooner. Whether the timetable reverts to normal then or the diversions are maintained I'm not sure. Check on the SNCF app daily for these trains to check they still call at the intermediate stations. Will save disappointment if you're travelling.

Established Member
Lisbon to Guarda out via Coimbra back via Castelo Branco. Very scenic, high altitude route, all electric intercity trains (think Corail 1980s). Makes a decent day trip, & can also be done from Porto, change Coimbra B out, Entrencamento return.
Not possible at present as the line is closed between Pampilhosa and Guarda due to long term engineering works. I can't find any end date for this, it has been ongoing for some time and is seriously overrunning.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It isn’t loco hauled. It’s three-car units often hauling coaches. But still a fabulous experience.

I hope there’s more than one coach on the train!

It's usually 11 or 12. A good service.

valentaman

recomend for experience the following

Tauern Bahn traffic from villach to bad Gastein very pretty

Pristina to Peja Kosovo Railway

the Shkoder to lac March - June tuesdays only Albanian railways service T669 and load 3 window smashed or missing coaches!
and the Friday - sunday Elbasan to Durres Alabanian railway!

and the line from Mukachevo to Lviv is pretty but one for non war time

just a few off the beaten path routes ive done this year!

kingston_toon

The summer only additional trains between Gdynia and Hel, old double deck coaches hauled by a small diesel loco which looks more like a shunting locomotive. Also the loco hauled TLK and IC trains from Gdynia to Łeba, on a line which is only operated during summer season.

Would recommend this 100%. We go every summer. If you do the contra-peak moves you can get most of the train to yourself - lots of window hanging action if that's your bag. Also some of the IC / TLK Hel trains are CD "Goggles" locos which are even more fun!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Would recommend this 100%. We go every summer. If you do the contra-peak moves you can get most of the train to yourself - lots of window hanging action if that's your bag. Also some of the IC / TLK Hel trains are CD "Goggles" locos which are even more fun!

Plus there's a refreshment trolley so if you're small enough you can hide in it and say you went to Hel in a handcart :D