• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘Passing trains cause air turbulence, please stand behind the yellow line’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annetts key

Established Member
Useful to have yellow lines at busy stations. If pax are told to stay behind them it allows proper sighting lines for safe dispatch.
Handy for me, as it enables me to walk past the passengers along the platform unimpeded :p

The worst air turbulence that I have experienced, is while in a refuge in a tunnel that has a line speed of 120MPH… That’s, err, shall we say, exhilarating the first time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChewChewTrain

The threshold is 100mph. At 100mph and above both the yellow warning line and warning notices are required.

There are other standards over platform widths as well.

Effectively you have three categories in this respect:

Less than 100mph: no lines or notices required
100 to 125mph: yellow warning lines and notices are required
125mph and above: platforms must be closed to passengers if unoccupied by train
Is that why they’ve put in the new barriers down the length of the main platforms at Slough? What has suddenly changed compared to the last near-200 years? Are there fewer trains stopping at those platforms than ever before?

Annetts key

Established Member
Is that why they’ve put in the new barriers down the length of the main platforms at Slough? What has suddenly changed compared to the last near-200 years? Are there fewer trains stopping at those platforms than ever before?
Not sure, as it’s not an area I know a great deal about. But Western Route have been installing barriers and fences on some platforms at certain stations to try to dissuade people from committing suicide.

spag23

On Moderation
I once observed an incredibly stupid commuter on the St Albans Fast Up platform. After a PA announcement of an imminent fast non-stopper, he deliberately stood up his briefcase less than 6" from the platform edge, and then stood well back.
Much to my surprise (and his disappointment?) the 90mph train merely rocked the brief case; it didn't get drawn into the cars' undercarriage, and so - somehow - didn't end flying across the platform at the same 90mph into the waiting passengers.
Unbelievable!

DavidSM

i have experienced the suction of trains thundering through a station.
Some years back in Italy , stood on the platform some distance from the area where a local left his bike. A freight train came through the station and I watched as the bike was sucked into a freight car side and then spat out finishing up as an item of scrap metal which was I think the consist of the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.