• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Better than average” Wetherspoons

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
It’s clear that the quality, layout and ambience of all Wetherspoons locations are extremely varied and diverse.

This thread is not meant for any political discussion surrounding Wetherspoons (if you choose not to visit these establishments, I entirely understand, but please refrain from commenting on this thread), but rather to recommend any interesting/particularly good or unique Wetherspoons to visit around the UK.

I’ll kick off with a really interesting Wetherspoons we visited this afternoon for a forum meal in Cambuslang, the John Fairweather. It is built into the old Savoy cinema and retains many of the original features (including the upper level theatre seating which is filled with manequins, as well as presumably one of the old film projectors above the entrance!)

Any other really interesting buildings which contain original, historic features or other unique components? Would love to hear some suggestions!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
The North Western on Liverpool Lime Street station is an excellent example.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The Wetherspoons in Keswick is probably the best one I've been to - it is a former police station and magistrates' court and nearly all of the historic features have been preserved in some shape or form. I have visited multiple times - on one occasion I had breakfast in the old courtroom (which is laid out like a court) and on another I drank a pint of cider in the cells!

The Man in the Moon in Newport (on the Isle of Wight) is another example of rather unique architecture as it is a converted church and again tends to retain most of its old features; Ayr has a similar Wetherspoons but the layout is a little more conventional so it isn't as interesting. Though keeping with the Ayrshire theme, a personal favourite has to be the Wetherspoons in Largs - if you're lucky you might be able to snag a seat on their patio facing across the Firth of Clyde, with great views of the ferry to Millport. I spent a couple of hours there during the really warm Saturday in late June - absolutely heavenly!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The Archibald Simpson in Aberdeen used to be a bank (Clydesdale?) and retains many of the original features, including the ornate ceiling. Photos can be found on the website here:

My only gripe is the long ascent to the toilets.

DelW

Established Member
For me the best combination of building and location is the Royal Victoria Pavilion in Ramsgate. It's a beautiful building inside, but the best part (in good weather) is the large first floor terrace garden with lovely views of the harbour and out to sea.

BJames

Established Member
Probably the best Wetherspoons I've been to are the Opera House in Tunbridge Wells (https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/kent/opera-house-royal-tunbridge-wells)

This was originally built as an opera house, opening in 1902 and becoming a cinema in 1931; nearly 40 years later, it made the transition into a bingo hall and then finally this pub.

... and Caley Picture House in Edinburgh: https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/scotland/edinburgh/the-caley-picture-house
The original cinema here was, itself, a partial conversion of the County Hotel, the site of which is marked on the 1876 OS Map and a map of 1846. The present grade B listed building was originally the Caley Picture House, having opened on 1 January 1923 with Game of Life – a silent film. In 1928, the building was enlarged for the new ‘talkies’. Several incarnations since then have included nightclubs and a live music venue – which closed after a farewell party on 31 December 2013.

Shimbleshanks

I'm not a great fan of Spoons pubs, as I find that most of them them are large, soulless drinking-barns, but I quite like our local one in Purley, the Foxley Hatch. It's actually quite small and intimate, the staff are nice and there's always a good selection of cask ales at very reasonable prices.
Alas, the Hatch is reported to be up for sale by Wetherspoons, so I'm not sure how much longer it will be with us. I don't really like the other pubs in Purley much and they're comparatively expensive. Maybe I'll start brewing my own beer again when it shuts.

Lost property

I would recommend the outlets in Oban, and, Stirling. The first is modern, the second a conversion, but both are well worth attending.

In contrast to the one in Stone which, if it were reduced to rubble, would be a tangible improvement.

Red Onion

The Archibald Simpson in Aberdeen used to be a bank (Clydesdale?) and retains many of the original features, including the ornate ceiling. Photos can be found on the website here:

My only gripe is the long ascent to the toilets.

Agreed, it’s a decent one. Locally, The Gordon Highlander in Inverurie is in an old cinema (The Victoria, I think) and retains an ambience about it.

As for the toilets…standard for a spoons. There was a joke that some folk who went to the loo on the night the bars closed for covid, they returned having missed the entire lockdown…

Benters

The Picture House in Stafford is a converted cinema, which you enter at street level and go downstairs to the bar, which is where the stage and screen were. Tables and accompanying seating occupy the rows where the cinema seats once were. The side walls carry several vintage film posters , whilst the foyer retains its cinema-like appearance.
This place has far, far more character than the other Wetherspoons in Stafford, The Butler's Bell at the opposite end of the high street.
Unsurprisingly, the latter is one of several pubs recently sold by Wetherspoons.

dangie

Established Member
The Picture House in Stafford is a converted cinema, which you enter at street level and go downstairs to the bar, which is where the stage and screen were. Tables and accompanying seating occupy the rows where the cinema seats once were. The side walls carry several vintage film posters , whilst the foyer retains its cinema-like appearance.
This place has far, far more character than the other Wetherspoons in Stafford, The Butler's Bell at the opposite end of the high street.
Unsurprisingly, the latter is one of several pubs recently sold by Wetherspoons.
I live in nearby Rugeley but have never been in the Butler’s Bell. I was once told that the BB was the ‘downmarket’ Wetherspoons in Stafford which tended to attract the ’less refined’ clientele (sorry I didn’t know how else to word it). If this was correct I don’t know.

The Picture House was closed for quite a time a couple of years ago due to severe flooding from the River Sow.

The Wetherspoons in Rugeley is also a converted cinema, The Plaza. Undoubtedly if Wetherspoons hadn’t bought it, it would have been razed to the ground long ago. This is something we should be grateful regarding Wetherspoons business strategy. Convert and reuse old buildings of which many undoubtedly would have been lost.

Iskra

Established Member
I would recommend the outlets in Oban, and, Stirling. The first is modern, the second a conversion, but both are well worth attending.

In contrast to the one in Stone which, if it were reduced to rubble, would be a tangible improvement.
Oban is my all-time favourite. I would argue that it has the best view of any ‘Spoons, with the added interest from the ferries docking next to it.

dangie

Established Member
I was born & raised in Stone but left long before Wetherspoons were founded.
Stone Wetherspoons is in the old Post Office. I’ve been in once but have to admit it was just to used the toilets.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I'm not a great fan of Spoons pubs, as I find that most of them them are large, soulless drinking-barns
That, of course (aside from "soulless" which is a subjective thing) is Wetherspoons' business model - large volume, high turnover, low margin. Elsewhere on (I think it was) this forum recently someone commented on the price of a pint at £5 or so. My immediate thought was - someone who pays £5 or more for a pint seems to have spare money. Each to their own, of course. Premium brands like, say, Budweiser, come in at £3.49 I believe.

One local one here is "nice" but not for architectural or historic reasons. It is a converted former USA-style restaurant (Damon's) which was a new building when it opened ~30 years ago. It's a large approximetely circular building with no remarkable features. However - as it's a newish conversion, it's not (as many are) overdue for an internal refresh. Probably because of where it is, the clientele appear to be generally younger than in most other 'spoons. And, presumably because it's large and very popular, it's better staffed than most, with seemingly dedicated table clearing personnel for example. The food and drink offerings are standard as elsewhere. For those reasons, the "Scarsdale Hundred" is one of my favourite Wetherspoons.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
The Imperial in Exeter is quite spectacular, and also one of the few things in the city that's actually near Exeter St Davids station. Good cider, too.

Llandudno (as mentioned upthread) is good, and Aberystwyth of course as part of the railway station. The Lord High Constable in Gloucester has a superb location in the Docks.

Furryanimal

The one in Abergavenny-The Coliseum-is an old Cinema.
Quite interesting.
If you like nice views the Mount Stuart in Cardiff bay has good views from upstairs.
It was a Harry Ramsdens.
My local in Cwmbran was previously a different pub.
It’s quite popular but if you go in a Wetherspoons-and I’ve been in a few-you know what you are getting.
Only one I wasn’t too impressed with…and it shall remain nameless.

Revilo

The Jolie Brise in Teignmouth is very nice. So is The Cabot in Weston-super-Mare, which has sea views and a hotel.

steamybrian

Established Member
For me the best combination of building and location is the Royal Victoria Pavilion in Ramsgate. It's a beautiful building inside, but the best part (in good weather) is the large first floor terrace garden with lovely views of the harbour and out to sea.
I have visited many Wetherspoons around the England,Wales and Scotland including the recently closed one at Wick.
I live in Kent so may be biased in saying the Royal Victoria Pavilion in Ramsgate is my firm favourite. It has won many awards.
For enthusiasts it is adjacent to the site of the long closed Ramsgate Harbour station and the nearby former railway tunnel is now a museum.
Another contenter is the Old Opera House in Tunbridge Wells.

High Dyke

Established Member
Palladium Llandudno is quite nice,it's a former theater or cinema, not sure which.
Visited there a few years ago, wasn't impressed. Fire doors at the rear were locked mid-evening even though it's also an access to the pub. Security guards perving over female drinkers and indiscriminately shining laser pens at people. When we complained the staff considered us troublesome and wouldn't serve us.

Another one I wasn't impressed with was the one in Clacton-on-Sea. Dismal, in need of updating and had a really 'local.pub for local people' feeling about it.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I view the overwhelming majority of the spoons estate as a necessary evil if I want something that isn't hotel breakfast should be offered comma and unusual situation as even if it's overpriced I far rather stay in the hotel and otherwise generally avoid, but when I do find a good one it's generally not because of the building so therefore might be off topic for this thread but I tend to focus on how well run they are as a hospitality establishment. I'm not a verse to chain pubs in general, I just find that most of the spoons offering is such poor quality that a local cafe or supermarket could do better in many respects of the food however, a particular favorite is the botwell in, located in Hayes West London, this is clearly run by a manager who has come from another higher grade hospitality business and rather than wanting to lower their personal standards because they can't be bothered anymore are more interested in raising the standards way above the average gdw level. Another one where standards are higher although I have found food quality varies greatly is the Sir John old castle near farringdon, I ordered two breakfasts to weeks apart in their recently and the difference was night and day

Zamracene749

The Wallaw in Blyth(Northumberland) is an excellent conversion of an old cinema, friendly with well kept ales too.
I'll second votes for The Caley Picture House in Edinburgh and The Winter Gardens in Harrogate.
It's a while since I visited, but The Thomas Sheraton in Stockton on Tees used to reliably serve a great pint too.

The list of absolute shabby and occasionally scary dives is somewhat longer of course, but that's something for a different thread 8-)

ANDREW_D_WEBB

The Forty Foot at Dún Laoghaire has a very nice terrace overlooking the harbour.

Not necessarily better than expected, but the Sir Frank Hornby in Liverpool is in the middle of a suburban housing estate, unlike most of the others which always seem to be in busy town centres

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've not been in for a while, but I always liked the Aberystwyth one next to the station. Of the two in Huddersfield, the Cherry Tree is a dive but the Lord Wilson is pretty nice. Neither have much to praise architecturally though.
Batley's The Union Rooms is nicer than you'd expect given that it's in Batley.

For bad ones, The Six Chimneys in Wakefield was pretty grim. It's currently closed until next year for refurbishment, but when I was in Wakefield on Thursday it was still showing as open on their app. Hopefully once they've done it up it'll be improved, but it is at the rough end of the city centre.

route101

Established Member
It’s clear that the quality, layout and ambience of all Wetherspoons locations are extremely varied and diverse.

This thread is not meant for any political discussion surrounding Wetherspoons (if you choose not to visit these establishments, I entirely understand, but please refrain from commenting on this thread), but rather to recommend any interesting/particularly good or unique Wetherspoons to visit around the UK.

I’ll kick off with a really interesting Wetherspoons we visited this afternoon for a forum meal in Cambuslang, the John Fairweather. It is built into the old Savoy cinema and retains many of the original features (including the upper level theatre seating which is filled with manequins, as well as presumably one of the old film projectors above the entrance!)

Any other really interesting buildings which contain original, historic features or other unique components? Would love to hear some suggestions!
Passed the John Fairweather yesterday in a classic bus as part of the GVVT bus open day. Not been to the John Fairweather.

Within Glasgow I would say the Counting House and the one in Ayr (Old Church)6

Tracked

Established Member
The Standing Order in Edinburgh used to be good (used it up until 2018), but so busy I'd refer to it as The Standing Room Only; several rooms, table count well into 3 figures, regular changing local cask ales, surprisingly swift service despite all that

Iskra

Established Member
I've not been in for a while, but I always liked the Aberystwyth one next to the station. Of the two in Huddersfield, the Cherry Tree is a dive but the Lord Wilson is pretty nice. Neither have much to praise architecturally though.
Batley's The Union Rooms is nicer than you'd expect given that it's in Batley.

For bad ones, The Six Chimneys in Wakefield was pretty grim. It's currently closed until next year for refurbishment, but when I was in Wakefield on Thursday it was still showing as open on their app. Hopefully once they've done it up it'll be improved, but it is at the rough end of the city centre.
I concur with that one.