• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

03.57 M-F (FGW HST) Swansea - Paddington's dwell time at Cardiff Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eire Sprinter

Just wondering the reason why this train has 12 minutes dwell time at Cardiff Central (05.02-05.14).

Following the same sectional timings and stopping pattern of other HSTs on the same route it would seem possible to depart Cardiff Central at 04.55 and arrive into Paddington at 07.04 (instead of 07.32).

Last time I travelled over (from Ireland) the train arrived into Cardiff Central at 04.50.

Here are possible reason/s I've thought of in order of what I think is their likelihood of being the explanation:

* the train sets out very early so extra time is inbuilt into the schedule in case engineering possessions on the South Wales mainline require bus substitution for a part of the journey (e.g. next Friday morning there's bus substitution Swansea - Neath with the train commencing at Neath).
* so that it can use the Vale of Glamorgan line if required.
* pathing constraints closer to London.
* crewing arrangements.
* connectional reasons (though there is nothing as far as I know on the Valley Lines this early or any other connection into Cardiff Central. The Fishguard boat train is very punctual and there's nearly a half hour margin between its arrival into Swansea and the departure of the London train).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

N Levers

It is the first two. Although if it runs via the vale it still has to run main lines to severn tunnel to 'catch up' to it's usual path.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It is quite an odd way of showing it though, on other areas you would show a 2 or 3 minute dwell with a massive amount of engineering recovery time approaching the stop. Therefore you would just arrive early and wait time if main line.

louis97

Established Member
Furthermore this train is special as it is timed to go via the margam moors line for driver route retention. If it was going via the vale it wouldn't go via margam. The train even has a -7 minute public advertising differential at Bridgend to cater for this.

http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/C21270/2012/9/24

Is this a fairly new diversion route, my 12th edition Rail Atlas by S.K Baker does not show access to the mainlines from Margam Abbey Works East?

Eire Sprinter

Thanks for the replies - very interesting and informative.
Presumably both the Margam Moors line and Leckwith loop are also traversed by a Swansea-bound train from time to time.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Presume this HST used to depart Fishguard a few years ago.

Bob

The service from Fishguard at approx 0150 did used to be a HST before FGW applied to have it discontinued as a franchise requirement.

It was a very popular train for early buird Reading commuters, but they could never understand why it soemtimes ran late. They didn't seem able to understand how far the train had come!

I used it a few times, and it was never very full leaving Fishguard. Though in 1991 I caught it from Swansea and it was absolutely wedged!

Status
Not open for further replies.