• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

0521 London Northwestern Crewe - London Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

Established Member
Out of interest, could anyone tell me why the London Northwestern Railway 0521 Crewe - London Euston does not:
  1. Go via Stoke-on-Trent
  2. Why it passes through Stafford without stopping
Its first stop is Rugeley Trent Valley.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Out of interest, could anyone tell me why the London Northwestern Railway 0521 Crewe - London Euston does not:
  1. Go via Stoke-on-Trent
  2. Why it passes through Stafford without stopping
Its first stop is Rugeley Trent Valley.

So it can run via Stoke when the Stafford route is blocked for overnight engineering and vice-versa. Unit comes from Crewe. When first introduced it ran ECS and started in service at Rugeley.

bionic

It's usually booked via Hixon, presumably for route retention purposes.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Interestingly it doesn’t call at MKC either, presumably because there’s a Virgin from Manchester hot on its heels

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Interestingly it doesn’t call at MKC either, presumably because there’s a Virgin from Manchester hot on its heels

It is one of the Northampton peak flyer services introduced in (IIRC) December 2013. Prior to this it used to go forward from Northampton was what is now the 0732 Northampton-Euston semi-fast (with a longer stand at Rugby, where it terminated as one service and re-started as another under ye olde Moderation of Competition protection for VTWC).

Then in Dec 13 the 0716 Northampton-Euston non-stop was introduced, and the ex-Crewe stepped up to form it as one through service.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It is one of the Northampton peak flyer services introduced in (IIRC) December 2013. Prior to this it used to go forward from Northampton was what is now the 0732 Northampton-Euston semi-fast (with a longer stand at Rugby, where it terminated as one service and re-started as another under ye olde Moderation of Competition protection for VTWC).

Then in Dec 13 the 0716 Northampton-Euston non-stop was introduced, and the ex-Crewe stepped up to form it as one through service.
That’s interesting - thanks :)

pt_mad

Established Member
Also note its an 8 car which prevents it from stopping at the local stations around Stoke.

Interestingly this service was mentioned in the office of rail and road application being discussed in the main West Mids franchise thread. From December it looks like the application is for this train to run later than at present, and planned to go mainline via Weedon between Rugby and Milton Keynes. With a different service calling at Northampton instead.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It doesn't stop at Stoke, as Stoke not open then, and it is a Virgin station not LNWR. I guess it could call at Stafford, but I can't see it would pick many-any-up

I also don't know how it is crewed, as I thought Crewe LNWR Drivers and Guards didn't go further south than MKC, so not sure where this changes over?

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It doesn't stop at Stoke, as Stoke not open then, and it is a Virgin station not LNWR. I guess it could call at Stafford, but I can't see it would pick many-any-up

I also don't know how it is crewed, as I thought Crewe LNWR Drivers and Guards didn't go further south than MKC, so not sure where this changes over?

Northampton?

sufian123

At the MTM event I asked where the crews change on Euston to Crewe they said sometimes one crewe can go all the way to Crewe or change at Rugby or Northampton.

sd0733

Established Member
At the MTM event I asked where the crews change on Euston to Crewe they said sometimes one crewe can go all the way to Crewe or change at Rugby or Northampton.

At Crewe we work 1u00 to Northampton then work 2u21 06:24 eus to Crewe back.
Drivers sign as far as Northampton whilst guards sign to Milton Keynes via weedon and Northampton.
Crewe conductors work all trains on the Trent to/from Crewe as far as Milton Keynes or Rugby with the exception of 05:45 Northampton-crewe and 7:55 back to Euston, 13:46 euston to Crewe and 17:02 return, 16:46 Euston to Crewe and 20:10 back to Northampton.

sufian123

At Crewe we work 1u00 to Northampton then work 2u21 06:24 eus to Crewe back.
Drivers sign as far as Northampton whilst guards sign to Milton Keynes via weedon and Northampton.
Crewe conductors work all trains on the Trent to/from Crewe as far as Milton Keynes or Rugby with the exception of 05:45 Northampton-crewe and 7:55 back to Euston, 13:46 euston to Crewe and 17:02 return, 16:46 Euston to Crewe and 20:10 back to Northampton.

Thanks

Mugby

Established Member
If I may add to this thread, I was at Stoke-on-Trent this evening and the 1902 Crewe to Euston WMT service was reported as cancelled.
It did apparently run though, departing Crewe almost half an hour late but only 5 minutes down at Stafford. Obviously it went direct to Norton Bridge.
This is the last Up WMT service on Saturdays and passengers for Stone were put in taxis. Does anyone know how other passengers, Rugeley, Tamworth etc. would be catered for - and what caused the initial delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.