• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

08s on the mainline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bakers1970

Most 08's / 09's that are likely to go onto main running lines are fitted with safety systems such as TPWS / GSM-R as fitted on other trains. Without this equipment they are generally not allowed away from depot / yard confines.

May be a naive question.... But what exactly does a 08 shunter require to gain mainline running permission? Is there preset guidelines which stipulates what is required? Thanks in advance..

Back in the good old days of proper traction there used to be a Tonbridge West Yard - Ashford - Chart Leacon - Tonbridge move to get the Tonbridge West Yard pilot loco's fuelled up, although this would probably be a Class 09.

lincolnshire

Back in the days of when Hull and Goole docks had a pilot, they used to run back to Doncaster Carr Loco for swapping / maintainance another mailine move, usually late at night I belive.

6Gman

Established Member
Class 08 haulage! Rare and difficult.

There used to be a few booked moves I believe such as marshalling portions at Preston.

And occasional rescues.

The only one I can claim was on a Class 304 from Manchester which expired within sight of Crewe. And an 08 came out to rescue us!

D6975

Established Member
Class 08 haulage! Rare and difficult.

There used to be a few booked moves I believe such as marshalling portions at Preston.

There were several:
The Carlisle sleeper shunt onto the back of another Southbound sleeper
The Crewe shunt of the splitter (Manchester/Liverpool Sleeper)
Sheffield - Shunting of Newcastle portion onto Leeds/Bradford portion or vice versa.
Plymouth - shunting Plymouth portion of the Night Riviera.

These were all official passenger carrying moves. There were others that were not, but could sometimes be done.

theblackwatch

Established Member
There were several:
Sheffield - Shunting of Newcastle portion onto Leeds/Bradford portion or vice versa.

These were all official passenger carrying moves. There were others that were not, but could sometimes be done.

The 'Night Riviera' was the last regular Class 08 move - it ceased around 2006/2007 if my memory serves me right.

6Gman

Established Member
There were several:

At one time there was an Exeter sleeper detached/attached - was that an 08 move?

12CSVT

Established Member
The only one I can claim was on a Class 304 from Manchester which expired within sight of Crewe. And an 08 came out to rescue us!

In October 1993, towards the end of a day spent bashing 37s on North Wales Coast services, I was on a Birmingham bound train hauled by 37429 which failed near Bushbury Junction (1.5 miles north of Wolverhampton). The rescue loco was 08448 which brought the train into Wolverhampton, where the train was terminated. At the time it wasn't quite how I intended the day to end, however in hindsight it turned out to be a very lucky haulage, as the 08 was withdrawn two months later. (Being based at Ayr for many years before a short spell at Derby, then Bescot I would imagine the scope for passenger work for this 08 would have been very limited).

Kneedown

Established Member
We always had to fetch the 08 in Burton MGR sidings back to Toton every Christmas Eve.
Was a long, long day, most of which was spent at Clay Mills waiting for a path to Stenson!

Status
Not open for further replies.