• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

09.30 Penzance - York on Sunday 9th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennorthyork

I have off peak tickets valid for this journey, with a family railcard, for 2 adults and 3 children. Please can someone give an idea when I will be able to reserve seats? Also, are there likely to be weekend first tickets available to book in advance for this train? I tried to reserve at the station a couple of weeks ago but they said reservations weren't released yet. I also might be looking to get weekend first and they said there may only be few advance weekend first available. So I'd need to be quick when they were. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Weekend First upgrade fares aren't quota controlled - they are effectively a walk-up fare. It's just a question of whether you can find a ticket office whose staff are willing and able to sell you it.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have off peak tickets valid for this journey, with a family railcard, for 2 adults and 3 children. Please can someone give an idea when I will be able to reserve seats? Also, are there likely to be weekend first tickets available to book in advance for this train? I tried to reserve at the station a couple of weeks ago but they said reservations weren't released yet. I also might be looking to get weekend first and they said there may only be few advance weekend first available. So I'd need to be quick when they were. Thanks!
As in, you've already bought off peak tickets?

Just a couple of heads up:

If you have a through ticket Penzance - York it will be cheaper for you to refund this, potentially even paying £10 fee per ticket, and rebook with trainsplit.

There is normally no advantage to buying flexible tickets in advance, but on this occasion you may avoid a fares rise by doing so.

Weekend first will be available depending on how many seats are unreserved/unused upon commencement of the journey - I've seen the TM on Aberdeen - Penzance turn away prospective upgraders due to (almost) all 1st seats being taken already.

If you contact XC on Twitter they are normally fantastic at making seat reservations, but if you don't yet hold a 1st class ticket they won't reserve one for you, instead they will be happy to reserve you Standard seats.

You could also try the XC 10 minute reservation system to reserve 1st class seats by text on the day - full procedure on their website.

bennorthyork

Weekend First upgrade fares aren't quota controlled - they are effectively a walk-up fare. It's just a question of whether you can find a ticket office whose staff are willing and able to sell you it.
Thanks. That's surprising as the person in the ticket office, who has worked there for at least 20 years that I know of, said there were limited numbers. Is there something I can show to prove otherwise?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks. That's surprising as the person in the ticket office, who has worked there for at least 20 years that I know of, said there were limited numbers. Is there something I can show to prove otherwise?
Not really - ultimately you don't have an absolute right to the upgrade and so you're reliant on an individual member of ticket office staff being helpful. They might be referring to the limited number of first class seats that physically exist, I suppose.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ticket office staff typically lack knowledge about such matters. Those who have been around a while can be among the worst as they may act as if old rules and principles still apply.

Please note that weekend upgrades are currently not available to purchase whilst on board. We hope to be able to reinstate this in the near future.
See also:

Status
Not open for further replies.