• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

12th November 1977 - Help Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commoner

45 years ago today so a long shot. Even longer when my question concerns HSTs on this date.

I am trying to fill some gaps in my HST formation records. Did anyone on the forum frequent the WR on this date and record any HST formations, power car pairings or in the absence of the former, units noted by 253 set number? If yes, and records have survived, I would really appreciate seeing the details. Any details of service working if available would be a bonus.

Any help, no matter how small, would be much appreciated. Apologies to any of the forum members who have or never had any interest in HSTs. I suspect there is a fair proportion of you! Anyone who who prefer to keep their HST interest private you can always PM me!!

Thanks Kevin (Commoner)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Wouldn’t that have been the first year that all the sets were in operation 253001 to 253027

these threads will help you regard formation

Commoner

Wouldn’t that have been the first year that all the sets were in operation 253001 to 253027

these threads will help you regard formation

Thanks 55002, I think I contributed to RMWeb thread. The fleet was relatively fluid 77/78 even though the WR was trying to adhere to the fixed formation concept. I have been trying to track those changes so am looking for actual observations of the sets in service on 12/11/77 to fill some gaps and resolve some niggling anomalies. Thanks again for replying.

Harvester

Established Member
45 years ago today so a long shot. Even longer when my question concerns HSTs on this date.

I am trying to fill some gaps in my HST formation records. Did anyone on the forum frequent the WR on this date and record any HST formations, power car pairings or in the absence of the former, units noted by 253 set number? If yes, and records have survived, I would really appreciate seeing the details. Any details of service working if available would be a bonus.

Any help, no matter how small, would be much appreciated. Apologies to any of the forum members who have or never had any interest in HSTs. I suspect there is a fair proportion of you! Anyone who who prefer to keep their HST interest private you can always PM me!!

Thanks Kevin (Commoner)
For what it’s worth, I spent an hour or two at Paddington station one week later (Sat 19th Nov 1977) and recorded sets 253 002, 253 006, 253 009 and 253 017 (power cars not recorded) in service. It’s likely, but not certain, that these sets were also in service seven days earlier on 12/11/77.

Commoner

For what it’s worth, I spent an hour or two at Paddington station one week later (Sat 19th Nov 1977) and recorded sets 253 002, 253 006, 253 009 and 253 017 (power cars not recorded) in service. It’s likely, but not certain, that these sets were also in service seven days earlier on 12/11/77.
Many thanks for that info. Every little helps. If anyone else can add anything relevant it would be much appreciated.

Big Jumby 74

Can't help with the 12th as I was on duty that day (750v land), but on the 19th went to Swansea behind Crompton 023. HST 254.003 noted in the Newport/Cardiff(?) area, after passing Stapleton Road for sure, probably around late morning time? Returned from Swansea on 253.022, in coach 42086 (from unit 253.003), although with hindsight I now wonder if I wrote the coach number down wrong, as 42068 is part of unit 22 ?

Commoner

Thanks for that bit of info. Really helpful. I am pretty sure you are right it was 42068 not 42086 in 253 022. It was rare for vehicles from SPM trailers being found in OOC allocated sets and vice versa during that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.