• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

13 minute connection time at Crewe / Conditions of Carriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednick

I've seen I can save at least £10 on a ticket from my home station to Glasgow if I book two advance purchase tickets, splitting the journey at Crewe.

My train from Birmingham arrives at Crewe at 07.56.

The train for Glasgow departs Crewe at 08.09.

The minimum connection at Crewe is apparently 10 minutes, according to Virgin Trains' timetable. I should have 13 minutes at Crewe if all goes to plan.

If I miss my connection at Crewe due to my first train arriving late, is it a certainty that I'll be able use my ticket on the next train to Glasgow? (Or, change at Preston perhaps; whatever gets me there sooner).

I know the National Rail Conditions Of Carriage say I can book two separate trains to make one journey. Is this my absolute assurance I will be ok, provided I have allowed at least a ten-minute connection time at Crewe?

If so, where exactly in the Conditions of Carriage does it state this?

I have heard on more that one occasion a member of train staff saying that they can't guarantee the connection if you buy two different tickets for the one journey, but I'm sure they're wrong.

Also, if I walk into any train station, must they give me a copy of the Conditions of Carriage if I ask for them, or does this only apply if I actually buy a ticket?

What if they have no hard copy, as they have stated before; would they have to print a copy off for me? Or, could they simply just direct me to the online version?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hawk1911

I've seen I can save at least £10 on a ticket from my home station to Glasgow if I book two advance purchase tickets, splitting the journey at Crewe.

My train from Birmingham arrives at Crewe at 07.56.

The train for Glasgow departs Crewe at 08.09.

The minimum connection at Crewe is apparently 10 minutes, according to Virgin Trains' timetable. I should have 13 minutes at Crewe if all goes to plan.

If I miss my connection at Crewe due to my first train arriving late, is it a certainty that I'll be able use my ticket on the next train to Glasgow? (Or, change at Preston perhaps; whatever gets me there sooner).

I know the National Rail Conditions Of Carriage say I can book two separate trains to make one journey. Is this my absolute assurance I will be ok, provided I have allowed at least a ten-minute connection time at Crewe?

If so, where exactly in the Conditions of Carriage does it state this?

I have heard on more that one occasion a member of train staff saying that they can't guarantee the connection if you buy two different tickets for the one journey, but I'm sure they're wrong.

Also, if I walk into any train station, must they give me a copy of the Conditions of Carriage if I ask for them, or does this only apply if I actually buy a ticket?

What if they have no hard copy, as they have stated before; would they have to print a copy off for me? Or, could they simply just direct me to the online version?

Its the 'National Rail Conditions of Travel' now. The current version is dated 11 March 2018. An online copy can be found here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types.aspx#National Rail Conditions

Its condition 9.4 that is relevant here. This states:
Where you are using a Ticket valid on a specific train service or train services (such as an ‘advance’ Ticket) and you miss a service because a previous connecting train service was delayed, you will be able to travel on the next train service provided by the Train Company with whom you were booked without penalty.

jednick

transmanche

Established Member
Thanks. Please can you tell me, where does it say you can use a combination of two or more tickets to make the one journey?
Section 14. Using a combination of Tickets.

14.1 Unless shown below, you may use a combination of two or more Tickets to make a journey provided that the train services you use call at the station(s) where you change from one Ticket to another.

jednick

Section 14. Using a combination of Tickets.
Thanks. Should railway staff know this fact? (As I say, I get the impression some don't). If they don't know this, do I simply say: "National Rail Conditions of Travel say it's allowed so I suggest you get your facts right"?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If they don't know this, do I simply say: "National Rail Conditions of Travel say it's allowed so I suggest you get your facts right"?
No, as that’s needlessly rude and confrontational.

You can go about correcting them politely and probably get a better result.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You should find that it's a cross-platform change at Crewe (6-11), possibly even the same platform (both on 11).
The trains will be chasing each other from Birmingham to Crewe.

jednick

You should find that it's a cross-platform change at Crewe (6-11), possibly even the same platform (both on 11).
The trains will be chasing each other from Birmingham to Crewe.
Thanks, I guessed they were both coming from Birmingham.

Is there a point where, if the first train was late, it would have to wait somwhere along the line (possibly at Wolverhampton / Stafford?) and let the the second (Virgin Trains) service overtake it?

Or, is it a certainty that, providing the first train leaves Birmingham before the second; the first train will always get to Crewe first?

transmanche

Established Member
Thanks. Should railway staff know this fact? (As I say, I get the impression some don't).
I have previously travelled on journeys involving a combination of six tickets. No-one batted an eyelid.

If they don't know this, do I simply say: "National Rail Conditions of Travel say it's allowed so I suggest you get your facts right"?

Do they have to give me a hard copy if I ask at a manned station?
Do you need a hard copy? Is the online version not accessible to you? Because if you're going to demand a hard copy just to prove a point and/or show disrespect by telling people to 'get their facts right', it's a sure way to lose goodwill very quickly...

Just chill. You'll be fine. And if for some reason you don't make the connection, you'll be able to get the next (VT?) train north.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Thanks, I guessed they were both coming from Birmingham.

Is there a point where, if the first train was late, it would have to wait somwhere along the line (possibly at Wolverhampton / Stafford?) and let the the second (Virgin Trains) service overtake it?

Or, is it a certainty that, providing the first train leaves Birmingham before the second; the first train will always get to Crewe first?

The LNR train is on the slow lines, and the VT one on the fast, so it could-if you were late-come sailing past you I am afraid! At least between Stafford and Crewe, and the VT ones doesn't call at Stafford either. But as others have said, relax, the next train will be fine to use in that situation.

iainbhx

If you are getting the 07:01 ex-New Street and connecting onto the 07:15 ex-New Street, I'd think you'll be fine. I get the 07:01 three mornings a week and it is usually at worst 2 minutes late into Crewe and it will normally be a cross-platform connection. I think I've seen the VT go past only once in four years and that was when BTP had to be called at Wolverhampton for a passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.