• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Belgarion

Doesn't your joining instruction letter act as your rail ticket, I know for sure this is the case with other TOCs. Got to be worth a quick phone call to ask if this is the case.

JohnFM

Would any employer pay for you to travel to work? There are weekly and monthly fares you can buy, have you had a look at them?

There is a reason why you get your discount after your induction, not before!

WCMLaddict

If the induction is away from your depot/normal place of work they should cover the cost of travel between your depot and course location.

Andy-mc

I wouldn't ask like:
"can you cover my travel costs for my induction?"
I would ask like:
"will my travel costs be covered for my induction?"

when I worked for EMT (which is stagecoach like Vtec) they provided a letter for travel until I had my passes, Id be surprised if they didn't provide travel as your now their investment.
When I was with EMT they also gave me travel to get to my interview and assessments

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
No, it is not cheeky really. I had my Milton Keynes-Crewe journey covered by VTWC when I started with them.

MartinB1

Likewise, when I started with SWT the letter acted as the ticket.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

pdeaves

Established Member
When I started with my TOC, I had multiple 'temporary' tickets (proper tickets, not letters) issued ages in advance of my start date. I don't know why I ended up with so many!

Bodiddly

It may be that you will have to pay for your first day's travel to the induction centre but on the first day of your induction I would be very surprised if some kind of temporary travel pass wasn't issued. Every time I was asked to go to a location when I started with my company i.e testing, medical etc, I was sent a temporary pass to cover the journey. On the first day of induction I was given a temporary card which gave me the free travel on my TOC's services.
Phone your HR and ask, they don't bite! (well mine don't)!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Would any employer pay for you to travel to work?!

Yes they do if you are working away from your usual location and it is further away or will cost more money to get there.

I've had several roles with different companies where they have this policy. When I was on the railway they always gave me free rail travel to attend medical screenings, training or whatever other company business came up, just as I would expect them to.

Suraggu

I am surprised VTEC didn't state on your welcoming letter this letter would cover you for travel from your home depot to the induction.

When i started at Crosscountry i had a temporary pass issued to me to get to birmingham once my course was passed i got my staff ID and travel pass but this was almost 8 years ago

RJ

Established Member
Would any employer pay for you to travel to work? There are weekly and monthly fares you can buy, have you had a look at them?

There is a reason why you get your discount after your induction, not before!

When I worked for Virgin, they supplied a Bearer pass that covered any duty travel across the network during the weeks I trained. Come to think of it, all the TOCs I've worked for supplied a duty travel pass for training.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I seem to recall having a temporary pass for GWR when I had to travel to Paddington for my induction week.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
So I start my 2 week induction with Virgin East Coast in York and I don't get my travel pass til after the induction. travelling on VEC it's going to cost £20 return a day to travel there (£200 in total)

My question is would it look bad on me (cheeky) to ask if they could cover my rail fare or give some sort of discount? (it's there service I'm using)

Ring up and ask directly; you should not have to pay to travel for duty purposes. Once you've started, ask if you are entitled to overtime payments to cover the travel time between your home depot, and the induction location.

Status
Not open for further replies.