• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

14 Day 1st class ALR commencing 24th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonman2014

Good evening

you may want to grab a coffee and a tin of biscuits as this may turn into a long post !

Well as the title suggests on Tuesday me and my partner are starting a 2 week 1st class All line rover with a Two together railcard, after a lot of planning we have got the following proposals but are open to any suggestions on anything I may be missing.

so here goes

24-05 commencing in Exeter we are doing 09:41 Padd train to reading where we are planning to change to the lunchtime Manchester X Country service purely as I (sadly)need a bit of track between Oxford and Banbury yet I am positive I have done the track just not recorded. After a evening break in Manchester where hope to get some remaining 195 and 331 units plus a few 397’s for sight we are on the 7pm train to Glasgow for night one of two at hotel in Glasgow.

25-05 A day around Glasgow doing a few branches and looking for 385’s so a majority of the day will be Queen St area.

26-05 was to be a 2nd day in Glasgow maybe going Edinburgh with the plan to be on the 18.23 Fort William train however due to woes on Scotrail this train is now cancelled and the only train to Fort William is lunchtime so that train it is With night in Fort William.

27-05 After a leisurely morning in Fort William we are doing the Jacibite (tickets in hand) which will be new track for me having never done the Mallaig line, This is then followed by the Caledonian sleeper to Euston in a berth for 2 which will be the first time I have done the sleeper from Fort William.

28-05 after breakfast at Euston it is across to Kings Cross to do class 91‘s ending at Doncaster for a northern unit to Sheffield. From here it’s another X country to Exeter and a night home.

29-05 After-an early breakfast it is off to London and onto Watford for an evening visit to Harry Potter World as it is somewhere we both fancied going, a night in Watford allows us to get a few beers and meal out.

30-05 Today we head to York to cover Scarborough shuttles with class 68‘s hopefully copping a few TPE mark 5 sets, northern units and some Azuma‘s added to needing the track should be a good day.A night-in Scarbados leaves us in place for tomorrow.

31-05 Todays got the potential to go very well or totally up the Shute ! The plan is to bus from Scarborough to Pickering to get the early train to Whitby as a single trip on the NYMR as I need the track, NYMR stock and hopefully the service is steam. However contacting the NYMR only sell singles on the day subject to availability and can not be prebooked. If we get to Pickering and no tickets available it will be bus back to Scarborough and invent the day from there. However if goes well by afternoon we are back on a XCountry back Exeter for another night at home.

01-06 on the first SWR service today we head to Portsmouth for a ferry to the Isle of Wight, after a few hours in Shanklin we head back to Portsmouth with onwards trip to London and a booked seat on the Caledonian to Aberdeen for an early morning arrival.

02-06 A day around Edinburgh and Glasgow is the plan for a 3rd trip on sleeper from Edinburgh this time to Euston however i am planning to get the 21:15 Glasgow C to Edinburgh X CountTy service as I see this goes around Edinburgh on the freight only line so covering That is the plan.

03-06 after arrival in London there are no set plans as yet so update will follow ……

Now a couple of questions

Having never done 1st class what do you realistically get in 1st class food and drink wise on GWR,TPE, Scot Rail and X country ?

any tips for getting 385‘s whilst in Scotland ?

Do gate line staff and conductors pick up on 2together restrictions as everything is planned keeping in the rules but be nice to move early if possible !

well congratulations if you got to the end and any tips or help gratefully received.

cheers for now

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
29-05 After-an early breakfast it is off to London and onto Watford for an evening visit to Harry Potter World as it is somewhere we both fancied going, a night in Watford allows us to get a few beers and meal out.
I’m booked to take eldest daughter to Harry Potter world for a 6pm tour on 29/5 too!

Veteran Member
Although it is half term week, I think you will be unlucky not to get seats on the NYMR.
Your plan B will be the 1055 to Grosmont, thence - it means you don't get to Whitby but it's a lot cheaper than booking returns to Whitby by NYMR! (I assume you want to do the Esk Valley?).

An alternative suggestion - on the Monday head for Middlesborough and take the 1404 to Whitby and back to Grosmont for the 1630 to Pickering (I recently used this, ex-LNER stock, and it was almost empty though obviously you are there at half term). This avoids the fully-reservable train altogether.
Pickering isn't a bad place to have to wait for a 128 bus....

Then do your class 68s etc on the Tuesday (the 0934 ex SCA should be OK)

Devonman2014

Although it is half term week, I think you will be unlucky not to get seats on the NYMR.
Your plan B will be the 1055 to Grosmont, thence - it means you don't get to Whitby but it's a lot cheaper than booking returns to Whitby by NYMR! (I assume you want to do the Esk Valley?).

An alternative suggestion - on the Monday head for Middlesborough and take the 1404 to Whitby and back to Grosmont for the 1630 to Pickering (I recently used this, ex-LNER stock, and it was almost empty though obviously you are there at half term). This avoids the fully-reservable train altogether.
Pickering isn't a bad place to have to wait for a 128 bus....

Then do your class 68s etc on the Tuesday (the 0934 ex SCA should be OK)
Talking to the other half we have decided to call the NYMR on Monday afternoon and ask seat availability on the following mornings train.

That will then depend on the following days moves.

The reason wanted to do this was never been NYMR and never been Whitby by train so new track, loco and even stock !!

Appreciate the feedback and comment which was looked into.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Having never done 1st class what do you realistically get in 1st class food and drink wise on GWR,TPE, Scot Rail and X country ?
All tend to be tea/coffee and snacks I believe.
There did used to be an elusive better option for long XC trips (proper sandwich etc) but reports suggest this isn't readily offered.

Most of the TOCs websites will give some information on 1st class offerings, and don't forget to make use of lounges!

Enjoy your trip.

Iskra

Established Member
Sounds a good trip. The Jacobite, Caledonian Sleeper and the NYMR are the stand-out highlights for me in your itinerary. I hope all goes to plan!

Devonman2014

Good morning all

Thought would update this with yesterday’s shenanigans and the major change that happened, At 8pm on Monday night the joint decision was taken that we wanted to go to the opening of the Elizabeth line which meant the only way to do this 2was the up night riviera sleeper resulting in less than 4 hours sleep although I didn’t manage to sleep.

So at 01:00 we find ourselves parking the car and putting 5 days parking on it and heading to platform 5 at St David’s which is the first time I have used P5 for the sleeper, usually using P3 in the past.
57306 duly arrives we hop aboard and away we go, being dark apart from 57604 being added there is nothing more to say.

We joined the masses at Paddington and following appearances by various dignitaries all of which have been documented in national press we joined 345001 from platform A at padd for the relatively short journey to Liverpool St.
The journey was smooth and the 2 stations were architecturally impressive especially knowing it was all dug out and built from scratch as opposed to upgraded etc but my plan is to do the line when fully open and have a good nosey around.

So following breakfast as it was now nearly 7am we found ourselves at Kings Cross where a few Azumas were ticked off and 91105 was standing awaiting departure at 10:03 to Leeds, this was taken in 1st class coach M to Leeds.
Leaving Kings Cross almost immediately we were served our first hot drinks and asked if we wanted to eat anything from the menu, a quick glance and 2 bacon rolls were ordered, devoured and delicious they were too.

2 more passes of the drinks trolley and we were in Leeds where 3 hours of unit spotting and 2 GBRF freight hauled by 66,s were all that can be said for this few hours.

At 15:16 following consultation with RTT the 15:29 Manchester to Scarborough was a 68 and Mk 5 stock so a short hop to Huddersfield saw us getting aboard 68019 for the journey to York Which was a nice journey passing all the new electrification works between York and leeds. the mark 5’s seem comfortable in 1st class but there was no refreshments offered although that may be due to journey length being relatively short???

York sees some shots of 68019 taken and 68034 which was parked up in a bay platform, 68021 arrived into the bay from Scarborough so a short change of trains resulted in 8 in The book bringing the total for the day to 42 which for me is a healthy result.

DCE1BDEA-0DDD-47AC-9E3E-36D837439D1B.jpeg

CAF80300-9BEB-4AAE-9ED2-D28BCD3F386D.jpeg
Boarding 801211 was the final trip of the day taking us York to Glasgow Central for a 21:16 arrival, sandwiches, crisps and drinks were all provided and very nice they were all too. The trip was uneventful passing Craigentinny,
Edinburgh and Motherwell but we were enjoying the free beer and Scottish scenery.
Arrival into Glasgow saw 92018 was parked up awaiting Departure to Euston with 92043 on the blocks.

Following checking into Jury’s Inn adjacent Glasgow C we were tucked up in bed by 10:30 awaking 08:30 this morning meant a very good nights sleep was had.

Well today we have a “free day“ so an update will follow in due course.

Last edited:

Devonman2014

Sounds a good trip. The Jacobite, Caledonian Sleeper and the NYMR are the stand-out highlights for me in your itinerary. I hope all goes to plan!
It is certainly the plan no changes to any of the above especially as the sleepers are all booked and we have tickets for the Jacobite already paid for.

yesterday however was a different story (see above)

woolos

Thanks for the report hope you are having a good time.like to know what the refreshments you are given?

Turbo004

Many thanks for the report. I'm quite enjoying reading your (my!) dream holiday. Hope it all goes to plan.

Twingo37175

Talking to the other half we have decided to call the NYMR on Monday afternoon and ask seat availability on the following mornings train.

The reason wanted to do this was never been NYMR and never been Whitby by train so new track, loco and even stock !!
Sounds a fabulous trip. If you are doing the NYMR, at the moment, with the fire risk, you will not get steam between Grosmont and Whitby. If you go onto the NYMR webpage you will be able to see the current roster and through the week this seems consistent every day. Certain services (10.55 ex Pickering and 16.30 ex Grosmont) are nailed on to be the DMU. There is only 37403 working between Grosmont and Whitby. Plus the steam services seem to have a 37 either leading from Pickering or at the rear from Grosmont. Still a great area to explore.

Devonman2014

Thanks for the report hope you are having a good time.like to know what the refreshments you are given?
Good morning

At present we have only really sampled the LNER first class offerings, these being as follows

on train - small (250ml) cans of soft drinks, 330ml bottles of Harrogate spring water, lager from Czech republic (330ml cans) that tasted similar in my opinion to Budweiser, wine was also served by the host with there being red and white On offer.
Small bottles of whisky, Gin and Vodka were also available.
Tea, Coffee and Hot Chocolate were also available poured at seat by the host, Small packs of sea salt crisps were also on offer but they were the only flavour available on our journey.
Food wise was various sandwiches and got hot food offered to us which is documented on the LNER website under the Deli menu but there are a couple of other trains that have Dine menu.

Edinburgh first class lounge - crisps and water as per above with a vending machine serving teas coffes, hot chocolates etc based on the same principle as Weatherspoons pubs and tasted almost the same.
Small packs of biscuits were also avaialable on a help yourself basis.
Whilst there for 2 hours there was no free food offerings but as this is a lounge for passengers to wait for their train I wouldn’t personally expect food to be offered.

Devonman2014

Sounds a fabulous trip. If you are doing the NYMR, at the moment, with the fire risk, you will not get steam between Grosmont and Whitby. If you go onto the NYMR webpage you will be able to see the current roster and through the week this seems consistent every day. Certain services (10.55 ex Pickering and 16.30 ex Grosmont) are nailed on to be the DMU. There is only 37403 working between Grosmont and Whitby. Plus the steam services seem to have a 37 either leading from Pickering or at the rear from Grosmont. Still a great area to explore.
Good morning

Many thanks for the heads up regarding steam train availability on the NYMR which is duly noted, personally although steam would be nice I’m not impartial to a bit of class 37 haulage especially as keeps me off units !!!!

Devonman2014

Good morning

Well day two was completed yesterday so here goes….

Following Tuesdays early start and late finish no alarm was set and we were on a wake up when we wake up, Eventually we awoke about 8 following a really good nights sleep in the hotel and pulled back the curtains to reveal Central Stn platform one was about 10m from our window Which was not requested but given.. so a bonus there for me.
A pendolino was parked just a bit back from our window awaiting departure south and in the following 30 mins whilst updating this page yesterday with Tuesdays travels I copped an impressive 10 class 385’s with loads 380, 320 and 156’s also noted but not required.

Breakfast was then taken at the Crystal rooms Weatherspoons pub which is two doors down from the hotel and a leisurely walk to Glasgow Queen St through the streets of Glasgow (taking a photo of a statue with a cone on the horses head and on the riders head,This proved to me it wasent just Exeter that suffers this) was made to get us there about 10:45.

158734 took us out to Anniesland which cleared a short section of branch for me where a plus 2 saw us onto 320308 to go to Balloch for another branch line in the book.
The same unit then took us back to Westerton for a plus 12 onto 334008 and 334022 to Milngavie for yep you got it a 3rd branch in the book.
Here we found the returning train 5 minutes later was cancelled due to driver being taken ill (according to screen) and which was due to be a different unit, This meant a 35 minute wait sat on 334022 and 334008 saw us depart and go back to Glasgow Queen St low level.

At this point we now decided Edinburgh was our destination with 385119 and 385121 doing the honours, Didn’t realise these units had 1st class on them so we were all alone in the first class.

4 Hours at Edinburgh saw a load of 385’s and my final Lumo enter the book for sight with a 2 hour stint sat in the first class lounge nipping out for units as and when (thanks RTT).
A short walk around Edinburgh in the evening followed by a couple of pints in the waiting room Weatherspoons saw us heading back to Glasgow around 7pm on 385017 and 385032 with arrival into Glasgow at just gone 8pm.

A few more beers and a meal back at the Crystal rooms spoons saw us retiring to bed at just after 11pm and another good nights sleep.

The only thing that was disapointing this evening but has no way spoilt anything was the early finishes on the Glasgow suburban lines as we were going to do a few this evening but hey hopefully the issues with the RMT and Scotrail will eventually be sorted and some kind of normality can resume with the timetables. That however is another story for covering in another thread….

Well today we are Fort William bound at lunch and I’m sat here looking at units passing my window.

Devonman2014

God evening

Well day 3 is now well and truly over so I thought an update tonight saves a job in the morning, Well the morning started at 07:00 for me by checking RTT for missing 385’s from yesterday and it revealed the gods are in my favour as 10 of my remaining 25 required 385’s were out and 4 of them arriving before 8 at Central ! So 4 were crossed Off the list from the edge of the bed.
The remaining 6 were due into Queen St between 10:30 and 12 which were to wait….

Breakfast was taken in the Counting Room Weatherspoons right outside Queen St station and it is a magnificent old bank complete with glass circular roof and a walk in safe where you can sit and eat / Drink and get merry, Checked for a lockable door (so you can leave missis or kids if you want) but alas the lockable doors are gone.

Following breakfast a 3 min walk sees us on Queen St forecourt which I personally think is a lot better from the previous layout giving more room but could do with a few more seats.

Those 6 missing 385’s mentioned earlier are duly obtained and shortly after 12:00 we board 156477 and 156474 for Oban/Mallaig which was fairly busy from Queen St with no seats available and picking up passengers as we headed down into the highlands a few passengers were left to stand.
Suppose this is to be expected when it is the only through train in sociable hours between Glasgow and Mallaig although there is another into Oban I believe.
A lovely scenic ride ensued passing 156500 and 156493 at Ardlui and at Crianlarich Colas liveried 37219 was parked up which according to Railcam has been there a while and not moved or done anything noteworthy.
156477 duly split from us and headed off towards Oban leaving us in 156474 to go to Mallaig with an on time arrival into Fort William Passing 66733 and 73971 on the entry into Fort William.

RTT had indicated the return AM steam Jacobite service should be in the station but on arrival not a sign of it, checking RTT again the ECS had departed 10 min before us getting there.

Following check in at the Premier Inn we headed into a very wet and very windy Fort William for a couple of hours then returning back to the station to see the PM steam Jacobite arrive, Steam 45212 duly arrived load 6 coaches and the throngs of passengers swarmed the station and were all taking photos of the steam engine.

The Caledonian Sleeper was also in the station so a few pics of the steam, 66733 and 73971 saw us leaving the station at 7ish heading to Morrisons for some provisions and now back at the hotel for a good nights sleep.

Tomorrow is another day with the steam trip to Mallaig on the cards and a trip to Euston on the Caledonian sleeper and hoping for the (or a) 66 and 73 combo on the front.
Hopefully the update can be done on the sleeper tomorrow night or early Saturday morning.

Turbo004

Hope you enjoy the steam train and the Sleeper. Last time I caught the sleeper from Fort William wife my wife we spotted over 100 deer on the trip South.

Devonman2014

Good morning and following a night on the sleeper I thought it’s about time I got this updated.

Well the day started at just after 08:45 with a walk to FortWilliam stn to see the morning ECS arrival for the morning Jacobite service which duly pulled in at 09:15 with 44871 doing the honours.
The chance was also taken to get the incoming sleeper stock which by now was parked up with no sign of the locos.

A short walk back to the brewers Fayre gained us a all you can eat Breakfast which was used to its full extent !!!!

As the weather was not the best (very windy and cold air chill as a result although the sun was out) the decision was taken to stay in the hotel room until kick out time at 12 which then saw us back at the station for The station was quite busy with people awaiting a Scot rail service to Mallaig and of course people awaiting the Jacobite afternoon departure.
By 12:20 the stock was in the station with 45212 at the helm and a loud whistle and release of steam saw on time departure.
An enjoyable couple of hours enjoying the beautiful scenery, A stop at Glenfinnan to look at the museum and old Signal box, some photos and during the journey a nice chat with a lady from Pennsylvania who was in Scotland for 6 months holidaying passed the time in a most enjoyable way.

A on time arrival at Mallaig proceeded by a walk in to the harbour whilst gaining lunch at a local cafe saw us back at the station for the 17:00 departure back towards Fort William.

An interesting little feature done by West Coast Railways is you swap sides of the carriage on the way down and back (if you sit on the left going down then on the return you sit on the right which allows the scenery in both directions to be seen by all on board, A nice little touch and a bit of thought I would imagine went into that)

Back on board good progress was made until Arisaig where were held awaiting a late running Scot Rail service from Fort William to Mallaig to clear the section in front of us.

A little bit of panic started to grow when there was no idea how long we were due to wait and RTT wasn’t updating that if we missed the Sleeper we would need a back up plan.
One was formulated but meant another nights stay in Fort William and the following days plans up the Shute, eventually we were on the move 40 odd minutes late and an announcement made to say we would be in Fort William at 19:30 giving us a plus 20 to obtain our left luggage and get onboard so the panic was over and we could relax.

The would you believe it we had a text from CS to say there was no food service on the sleeper due to staff shortages so having no food on us and only a plus 20 gave us a quandary over food, Decision made I would run to Morrisons and get whatever I could as quickly as i could and get back to the station.
The train barely stopped and I was off down the platform faster Than Usain Bolt (ok a bit of an exaggeration there).

As luck would have it (only bit today) I saw a host from CS told them and showed them the text and they assured me food was available and no understanding of the text could be gained, Panic number 2 now over we get onboard drop our bags to the cabin and head to the club car.
A Slightly late departure by 66733 and 73971 saw us heading over the scenic line towards Edinburg, only 2 things of note during light fall was 37219 still at Craigenlarich and we passed the Royal Scotsman train at Bridge of Orchy.
Following a few beers and food we headed to bed at shortly before 11 and by midnight with my eye mask on and ear plugs in I was asleep and no doubt snoring.

I found the bed comfortable and although the room is on the small side (which was to be expected) it was adequate for the trip especially as 99% time in room you would be asleep….

We are now on Day 5 which will be update tomorrow.

Devonman2014

Well good morning

It is hard to believe I am now writing day 5‘s trip report but here I am sat having a drink at home prior to the 08:30 towards Waterloo

The day started at 05:45 waking up on the CS between Crewe and Stafford and a relatively good nights sleep, opening the blind to let the daylight start shining through and a 10 min shower (which was very warm and the shower was remarkably quite powerful) saw me dressed and ready for breakfast by 06:30.
Walked down to the club Car to be told I couldn’t have breakfast until the time I stated (07:00) so a walk back to the room saw me watching the world go by why belly rumbled and moaned at lack of food.

7am on the dot I’m in the club car and a tea, orange juice, highland breakfast was devoured passing the outer london suburbs and an on time arrival at Euston was made with 92020 at the helm.

I gave to say personally I was quite impressed with the CS from initial boarding to disembarking everything was fine and although the portions of food were fine maybe a little bit more could be provided but that is a very small insignificant comment in the whole scheme of things.

Anyway over to Kings Cross saw 91111 on a 10:03 departure towards Doncaster where we changed for 91105 for a 11:16 return to Kings Cross, One of m 10 remaining 66’s (including 734 and 3 ex european ones not yet released from Toton) was unexpectedly sat at Peterborough (799) but apart from that and copping 6 of my last 12 Azuma’s the journey was uneventful. First class offering were as per day 1’s offerings with the exception today no soft drinks were available.

The next plan was to get to Sheffield so St Pancras was next stop for a lunchtime departure on a 222 but we don’t do anything straight forward…..Wellingborough saw another unexpected 66796 copped so 2 in one day was a big bonus for me. At Leicester we hopped off of the short trip to Nuneaton on a 170 for the hop back on the next train to get the track in.

Back At Leicester I realise a big error , got the return Sheffield to Exeter wrong and there was a minus 3 mins …. DOH but this was easily rectified , changing at Chesterfield we had a plus 20 for our train home.

17:08 saw a pair of voyagers arrive and once aboard departure being on time we headed south and homeward bound, Just after Burton Upon Trent we were offered drinks, crisps and soft drinks so a pack of crisp with a tea was obtained.

Passing Washwood Heath saw us looking at the expanse of HS2 works with the former Saltely depot looking a shadow of its former self. Lawley St there were four 66’s and a 70 parked up and we enter Birmingham New Street again passing the HS2 site of the new station being built.

Leaving Birmingham saw a ticket check where we learn that after Birmingham there is no catering trolley or buffet all the way through to Plymouth so a complaint to X Country will be made as no announcement to this effect was made nor were we told or we would of got a couple bottles of water and a few biscuits etc as hunger was starting to set in withDinner not until Exeter is reached, Anyway Stoke Gifford saw 66613 and 2 others behind parked up.

That was all really of note and a 20:48 arrival into Exeter meant food and bed by 11 having swapped clothes in the bag and a nice hot shower.

Well that’s about it for yesterday and tomorrow’s recount of today will be relatively short as it’s a simple get to Watford for Harry Potter world.

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Many thanks for the very interesting trip reports, it sounds like you had a great time. It's quite disappointing to hear about the lack of catering on the Cross Country train though and the lack of announcements.

Devonman2014

Well good morning

Hard to believe I am sat here typing up day 6 of the trip as we are sat here wondering and pondering where the first 5 have gone !!!!

Awakened at 7 by the alarm clock and a nice warm shower helps the day start off good, breakfast and a walk to the station sees departure towards London on time at 08:35 in the hands of 159010, 2 further 159’s are added at Salisbury and away we go.
The service is busy having picked up hoards of passengers along the route including football supporters sees the first ticket check just before Basingstoke where a number of passengers (many grumbling) were ejected from 1st class as they had standard class tickets.
5 minutes later following the guards departure they were back and sat down in 1st class and a group of 4 paid the £10 each to remain in 1st class, There was no food or drink served on board so the £10 was purely for a more comfortable seat.
The usual trundle from Exeter to Clapham was uneventful changing here to 378232 for the hop across in the over ground to Willesden Jctn.
Two 710’s we’re in the book at Willesden (one in service and one on depot) and as we were waiting on the lower level 73961 & 965 passed on the upper level with a load 4 test train which from RTT was touring London.
710266 saw us into London where we went to the 1st class lounge for 30 mins whilst awaiting next train northbound which was actually a LNWR train but we told Avanti host on the door was awaiting Manchester train!

A couple Cans. Soft drink, croissant and a pain au chocolate were consumed and we joined 350256 (with friends)for the 20 odd minute journey to Watford Junction where train related activities were finished for the day to go to Harry Potter world for the afternoon which was a fantastic insight into the films and the making of them.

Day 7 will be uploaded tomorrow which will consist of a 390 and 68’s…..

Devonman2014

Good morning and day 7 is upon us so here follows the report for day 6…..

Following a good nights sleep and breakfast in the hotel at 8 we see ourselves on the station for 350232 and 2 friends for the 20 min fast trip into Euston passing Wembley we see 2 class 66‘s on various freight workings parked up and 3 class 720 units, 2 of which were on test with drivers and headlights on preparing for departure.

Euston sees an on time arrival and a Smartish exit onto the forecourt and across to platform2 sees us boarding 390138 for a 09:57 departure towards Manchester with 1st stop Stoke On Trent.

Departure from Euston and we are served a drink and a bacon roll, the journey north is uneventful passing Rugby at speed 57309 is noted on Thunderbird duties and various wagons at Marcroft in Stoke On Trent are all railway related items on view.

Further drinks are served between Stoke and Stockport with again an on time arrival into Manchester.

68027 is noted under the roof with a driver training run from Cleethorpes awaiting signal to depot and The following 3 hours saw further Norther units in the book.

A call to the NYMR informs us they have over 100 tickets for the 09:20 departure from Pickering tomorrow and a second call to the local bus operator confirms the 07:30 bus Scarborough to Pickering is also running so tomorrows trip on the NYMR is confirmed.

An hour is spent in the Piccadilly 1st class lounge where a drinks machine served me a hot chocolate and I decided on belgian chocolate brownie (well 2 of them) although there were biscuits, fruit and crisp to choose from.

With the NYMR confirmed the aim is for the 15:29 departure from Manchester to Scarborough to put us in place for tomorrows plans which is booked a 68 turn and 68025 duly obliges arriving on time from depot but departing 15 minutes late due to late running guard.

Departing Manchester on the TPE train to Scarborough hot and cold drinks are served by the host so a cup of tea was provided and a tray of goodies produced giving us the option of a few different biscuits from where I chose a Belgian chocolate biscuit to munch on.

Crossing the pennies I decide a change of trains at York will get us a 2nd 68 for the trip down to Scarborough so we leave 68025 at York, grab a pint in the York Tap and once ready board 68032 for the 18:17 departure to Scarborough with again an on time arrival into Scarborough.

A 15 min walk to the bed and breakfast sees the bags deposited and a walk back into town and into the spoons for a evening meal.
RTT shows an incoming service of some sort from Gascoigne Wood with a 17 min turn around heading back so a 5 min walk from the spoons to the station sees a HST test train arrive with a pair of colas power cars and load 4 coaches.
Disappointed its not something exciting I return to the spoons and finish my beer followed by the walk back to the bed and breakfast.

Bed by 10:30 sees me snoring by 11 in preparation for tomorrows plans.

dave87016

Established Member
Can’t help but feel like I’m on the journey with you it’s such a good read , loving the fact your mixing the spotting and haulage with pub visits

Should you get the chance I really recommend the Station master house next to Bingley Station it’s not cheap but it’s not expensive ( beer ) and has a fish and chip shop at one end of it , very clean pub great staff and good pint

50002Superb

Can’t help but feel like I’m on the journey with you it’s such a good read , loving the fact your mixing the spotting and haulage with pub visits

Should you get the chance I really recommend the Station master house next to Bingley Station it’s not cheap but it’s not expensive ( beer ) and has a fish and chip shop at one end of it , very clean pub great staff and good pint
I second all of the first para above

Devonman2014

Well currently sat on an IET heading home and with a spare couple of hours thought I would update this with todays travels….

A very unwelcome alarm at 6:00 sees us out of bed,dressed and leaving the B & B at 6:25 in preparat for the Brewers Fayre around the corner opening at 6:30 and the aim to get a breakfast. 6:30 comes and goes and with no one in sight we walk up through town in search of a cafe etc. Seeing people outside the spoons we thought our luck was in and they were open but alas was just he cleaners and the putting the seats outside, Thinking our luck was out we walked to the station to find the cafe was open !!!

Ordering a cuppa and a bacon roll sees that done and dusted in 5 min flat (I was hungry ok!) so a sausage bap was also consumed !
7:20 arrives and not knowing where the bus stop was we went in search eventually finding it with 5 mins to spare, On the dot the X128 service arrives, tickets purchased we take our seats on the upper level for the 50 odd minute bus journey to Pickering and our first target of the day the NYMR.

Shortly after half 8 and we are at Pickering station and with the ticket office not yet open we grab a cuppa in the cafe on the platform, The station is quite impressive and there were lots of staff and passengers already milling around for the 09:20 departure.
9 AM and the empty stock is reversed in with 37264 on the front and steam 92134 now bolted to what will be the rear of the train and with tickets now in hand we grab our seats in coach C and await the departure.
The journey to Grosmont was spectacular scenic wise and made even better with 37264 growling from the front and the steam wishing away at the rear, We had an interesting discussion with a couple sat opposite us about various things including OO gauge mode,s, layouts and how the sound chips work etc - was very informative and a real eye opener Go the technology advancements and the cost!

At Grosmont we pull in beside steM 80136 on the first Whitby to Pickering train, Here sees the steam and 37264 pulled from the train and 37264 attached to the rear of the Pickering bound train and 37403 attached to our train.

A picture of 2 ex ED tractors next to one another bought back many good memories of early 90’s bashing, 37403then duly departs for Pickering and another load of loud thrash ensues and an on time arrival into Pickering sees us depart the train - For us it is a plus 49 minutes for the unit back toward Middlesborough

The only shame with the NYMR was the lack of steam but I was warned previously above by a follower or this thread this could be the case.

Anyway I digress and our time in Whitby involved obtaining food for the journey home and more importantly getting rock for the pet sitters and my lad.

11:59 and we depart on time on 158849 and 156489 for the journey to Middlesbrough where we were to change to a train to Darlington for a LNER service to Kings X and finally an IET from Padd to Exeter was the plan- However…..

Checking RTT and the route I realise I have not done the line from Middlesbrough to Newcastle via Sunderland so some frantic planning sees a new plan hatched to do the units to Newcastle for a plus 22 to the Kings Cross service for a dodgy 25 min Kings X to Padd tube for the 19:04 to Exeter after which if we missed it be the 20:04 service …..Can we do it well we are gonna try !!!!!

More provisions are grabbed at Newcastle and we board 801208 for the trip to Kings X which was on time running all the way into the Cross….Passing Bounds Green we are on time and we walk to the front door of the front coach to give us the best opportunity to get to Padd.

6 minutes later and we are on the tube platform getting aboard a tube towards Padd, optimistic we are going to make it the journey is going fine until Edgware Road where we are held to “regulate the frequency of the service” and with the minutes ticking by we leave Edgware Rd at 18:59 arriving at 19:01 so now we are thinking dam underground we got no chance….

Walking over the far end bridge and glancing onto platform 8 at 19:04 sees the train in the platform with doors shut but not locked…running to the train we get aboard and the doors lock behind us and we depart at 19:07 Aboard 802101….

This is the first time I have been glad a train is late and Here I am in coach K typing up this report having just realised today I have not had a pint !!!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Many thanks for the great reports Devonman2014. The 19:04 last night departed at 19:07 because it was regulated in favour of a late running arrival from Newbury.

Mikw

Great reports, i enjoyed reading them.

You may have been better off just going to Leicester and staying there, it's ace!

(Maybe.....)

Devonman2014

Good morning and here I am on day 10 typing up day 9’s travels and tribulations

The morning started at 08:00 having had a good nights sleep and a shower we nip out for a breakfast roll and home again to collect the bags.
09:35 and we depart Exeter behind 159013 and 159021 for the trip to Salisbury, on time arrival sees us grab a coffee and toastie then board the GWR Portsmouth service which today has 166210 doing the honours.

Another on time arrival sees us change to the Isle of Wight ferry (Wightrider 1 if anyones interested) for the 20 odd minute trip across the Solent and into Ryde Pier.
The journey was swift and although the water was a bit choppy it was nothing too concerning and the views towards the island were a nice break from stations !

Arrival At Ryde we join the masses for the 2 minute walk onto the station where we await the train to Shanklin, We watch from the station as the train comes down the pier and 484003 is our chariot to Shanklin.
At Ryde St Johns 484002 is in the station parked up and switched off, 484004 is parked outside the depot and with the doors open 484001 and 484005 are spotted for a class clear in less than 10 minutes which for me I think is a record !

The guard walks through the train doing his duty and checking tickets selling some to people who have jumped on during the trip, it is noted a day return from Ryde Pier Head to shanklin is only £5 which for the trip I think is cheap.

The trip to Shanklin passes without incident and the plan was to grab a dinner in a cafe outside the station (info from Google) but the dam cafe is shut for the day on the 01st June, A few curse words were passed as I was hungry and it sees us walking towards town.
We find a pub so we decide pint and grub it is, walking in it becomes obvious so it is a real locals pub where the old boy at the bar knew everyone coming in - apart from us lol.
A Carling is obtained and we go to a table then realise there is no menus, checking with the landlord they don’t do food…..I am now passing a few choice words with a few expletives in it sees us drink up and head out the door.

We find a shop selling pies and pasties etc so a pasty and some sausage rolls are going to be lunch for today, Getting back to Shanklin 484003 reappears and takes us on the journey back to Ryde where the ferry is awaiting any final passengers for the trip to the mainland.

This time we have Wightrider 2 so both ferries are in the book (not that I log ferries), Portsmouth Harbour is soon back upon us and the walk to the station sees us aboard 450031 and 450043 for the trip into Waterloo.

Waterloo at teatime sees us grab the northern Line to Euston as the sleeper to Aberdeen is the aim now, With no issues at all on the tube we are at Euston just after 6:15 giving us 3 hours to departure of the sleeper…..

A quick visit to the 1st class lounge for a drink and we decide to go out the station to find somewhere to eat as food at Euston is ridiculously priced and we duly find the rocket pub on the walk towards Kings Cross Which was fairly priced food (for London) although was quite busy.

8pm is now upon us so we walk back to Euston platform 1 and await permission to board the sleeper seated portion for Aberdeen which is allowed shortly after half 8.
92023 is on the blocks with the ECS and 92018 is on the sharp end awaiting departure northwards.
We gain our seats in coach A and departure was slightly late at 20 past 9 and we seemed to trundle towards Watford, The trip north sees us watching a film and by Rugby it becomes evident the seats with the packed coach and people chatting and laughing sleep is also going to be limited. Add to this the host tells us most people in Edinburgh will disembark to change to the fort William seated coach and sleep is looking even less likely.

Travellodge website checked and Crewe has availability so with host located to confirm we are stopping Crewe and can disembark we book a room at Crewe travellodge.
Shortly before midnight we disembark Crewe and following a 5 min taxi ride sees us checking into the hotel and room key in hand we are in a proper bed by 12:15.

If it had‘ t been the constant noise and laughing we may have stuck with it and held Out to keep to the original plan as I believe we would of been able to grab some sleep en route but it wasn’t to be.

Anyway we are now heading North as Edinburgh is the target to get the sleeper (with berth) southbound tonight !

Status
Not open for further replies.