• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"15 days in 2 months" Interrail and "outbound" and "inbound" days

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I am posting this here rather than the International section because it relates to the British part of the trip).

So if I buy "15 days in 2 months" Interrail ticket, it's reasonable to split this into two separate trips into Europe.

Can I use my inbound day on the return of my first trip, and the outbound day when setting off on my second trip?

(The T&Cs aren't clear)

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
(I am posting this here rather than the International section because it relates to the British part of the trip).

So if I buy "15 days in 2 months" Interrail ticket, it's reasonable to split this into two separate trips into Europe.

Can I use my inbound day on the return of my first trip, and the outbound day when setting off on my second trip?

(The T&Cs aren't clear)

Thank you
Don't the outbound and inbound days have to be used in that sequence, a bit like a return ticket?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Don't the outbound and inbound days have to be used in that sequence, a bit like a return ticket?
The Interrail Conditions of Use (section 5.2) don't indicate any such restriction:
1638445249597.png

The only limitation is that the 'outbound journey' must be from a location in the country of residence to the border, or an airport or port, and vice versa for the 'inbound journey'.

Obiously it's a slightly unusual way of using an Interrail pass, but provided the pass is correctly dated and filled out, and the domestic journeys meet the requirement above, I don't see anything wrong with it.

However, it's possible the mobile version of the pass might stop you from entering dates in this manner, so it would probably be a good idea to get a paper-based pass if you intend to do this.

Veteran Member
Bear in mind the requirement to put the two dates on the pass cover - I think you might be challenged.
Edit: you might be, but see my post #11 below - it is clearly permitted.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ultimately, it won't be you challenging any perceived misuse.
If you proceed on that sort of basis, you might as well say "buy an Anytime Single from the station you board each train to the station you leave it, just to be on the safe side".

Ultimately any restriction must be indicated in the terms of a ticket. And there is nothing in the Interrail terms requiring the domestic journeys to be at any particular point in the usage of the pass.

If the OP is 'challenged', I am sure they will be happy to explain what they are doing. But of course it is for them to decide whether they would prefer to buy an Anytime Single...

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
From a practical point of view, if it were me, once I got into Europe (ideally isolation/quarantine free) I certainly wouldn’t be coming back to the UK until I’d got the most out of my pass - rules can change at the drop of a hat at the moment and no knowing what the situation could be next week.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If you proceed on that sort of basis, you might as well say "buy an Anytime Single from the station you board each train to the station you leave it, just to be on the safe side".

Ultimately any restriction must be indicated in the terms of a ticket. And there is nothing in the Interrail terms requiring the domestic journeys to be at any particular point in the usage of the pass.

If the OP is 'challenged', I am sure they will be happy to explain what they are doing. But of course it is for them to decide whether they would prefer to buy an Anytime Single...
The point is that you seeing something as being OK does not reflect the reality of the situation, and if you are giving advice on the basis that it's just your opinion/interpretation you should also point out that it may well not be seen in the same way by ticket checking staff. For what it's worth, I think the use of the words outbound and inbound make it fairly clear what the intention is.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The point is that you seeing something as being OK does not reflect the reality of the situation, and if you are giving advice on the basis that it's just your opinion/interpretation you should also point out that it may well not be seen in the same way by ticket checking staff. For what it's worth, I think the use of the words outbound and inbound make it fairly clear what the intention is.
Anything could be seen as invalid by ticket checking staff. Qualifying advice with that would be fairly meaningless.

The terms state that Global passes can be used for two domestic journeys. They then go on to say that these are 'referred to' as inbound and outbound journeys, but that mere act of description does not infer a restriction.

The term specifically defines where these journeys must be to and from; if there were any other restrictions these would need to be shown there.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The only limitation is that the 'outbound journey' must be from a location in the country of residence to the border, or an airport or port, and vice versa for the 'inbound journey'.

Broadly I agree with your interpretation on a technicality. There is nothing I can see explicit barring what the OP wanted to do.

That said, I am also in agreement with Haywain that it is not a sensible (even bordering on the perverse) interpretation of the rules. I would almost go so far as to suggest no one (or a minuscule number of individuals) other than a ticketing geek like us on this forum would even remotely think along these lines unprompted. That is what can potentially complicate matters should it go so far as to reach a court of law.

The fact is that the OP would have already entered dates of travel in several boxes by the time he comes to taking the second outbound journey, and that will not escape the eyes of ticket inspectors. I would be highly surprised if an inspector familiar with Interrail rules will consider this anything other than misuse.

It is for the OP to weigh up the pros and cons of doing this but I personally cannot remotely recommend taking that risk. These passes already offer significant savings, so I don't think it is worth the risk having it withdrawn and spoiling the rest of the trip.

Veteran Member
Looking further into this, I think I (and others) were being overly cautious. You don't have to read the small print, it is clearly stated and in bold to boot on the Interrail website (though it takes a few clicks to find it!)

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/what-is-interrail/travel-your-own-country
We want our Passes to be as flexible as our travellers, so if you're travelling with an Interrail Global Pass, you can now use it to travel in your country of residence during one outbound journey and one inbound journey that occur during travel days at any point in your trip. If you need more than one outbound and inbound journey, you can always buy additional point-to-point tickets from your country’s rail carrier.
So that Plymouth to Wick return trip midway is perfectly legit :)

To avoid hassle, not because it is legally rewuired, I would advise having
(1) the above link bookmarked (!)
(2) a clear explanation of how you left the country
(3) a filled-in and stamped journey planner entry that backs up (2) or at least shows that you've been abroad.

Veteran Member
...If you're arriving at Plymouth by ferry from mainland Europe
Of course. I took that as read (there was another related thread not so long ago, which ISTR involved Aberdeen or Inverness).
In practice, you'd need to be on the 0525 ex PLY according to NRE - I'll pass on that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.