• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1502 Euston to Bangor 20/10 cancelled and my rights to Delay Repay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I have an AWC Only Advance for the 1502 Euston to Bangor on 20/10 which has been cancelled. What are my rights? Can I take the following direct service?

Has the 1502 been cancelled throughout or only part cancelled? Eg. Finishing at Chester?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

I have an AWC Only Advance for the 1502 Euston to Bangor on 20/10 which has been cancelled. What are my rights? Can I take the following direct service?

Has the 1502 been cancelled throughout or only part cancelled? Eg. Finishing at Chester?
It finishes at Chester.

I suspect the 15:02 (now to Chester) will have onboard announcements as to what they want you to do from there - most likely taking the connecting TfW. Taking the next direct Avanti should also be fair game.

mangyiscute

Established Member
The next direct avanti is the 1702, which does still seem to be running, but is obviously 2 hours later - assuming everything is ontime, there is a 15 min connection in Chester onto a TfW service to Bangor which gets there at 1848, so about half an hour later than the avanti shouldve got there.
In theory you can take the avanti before as well, but since this is the 09:02 I doubt it would be accepted

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Looks like the 1502 from London Euston is running from Euston to Chester only, arriving 1705.

There'll be an onward 1726 TfW service from Chester that'll get you to Bangor for 1848.

You should at least be eligible for some Delay Repay from Avanti.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you want to just wait for the next through train, you may do so if that suits you better than making a change of trains. Is that what you were getting at?

In this case it would be expressly permitted by the Advance ticket terms and conditions, because that's the next train by the same operator.

gray1404

Established Member
I cannot travel on the service before unfortunately as I have a meeting. I could catch the 1502 as far as Chester. But then I am worried my ticket will not be accepted thereafter as it is AWC only. Any thoughts?

Gaelan

I cannot travel on the service before unfortunately as I have a meeting. I could catch the 1502 as far as Chester. But then I am worried my ticket will not be accepted thereafter as it is AWC only. Any thoughts?
It seems likely that they'll arrange ticket acceptance due to the disruption, but as their website doesn't say, there's no way to be sure before you get there (short of asking customer support or a ticket office; Twitter is good for this sort of thing). I'd be inclined to travel as far as Chester and see what they tell you to do from there; worst case, they'll insist you board the next Avanti, and you'll be no worse off than if you waited in London for that train.

If you're in a hurry, and they don't let you just board the TfW, you could always buy a new ticket for the Chester-Bangor leg when you get there (£24 walk-up anytime day single, less with a railcard).

gray1404

Established Member
Yeah I'll do that. Board the 1502 as far as Chester. No point waiting around two hours.

Is claiming delay repay likely to be an issue as they cancelled the train before 10pm the night before?

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
There'll almost certainly be announcements on board as to what to do, but if not, just ask the train manager.

The NRCoT state that DelayRepay is calculated based on the Published Timetable Of The Day, that is to say what appears on National Rail Enquiries at 10pm the day before travel. If that said that the train was cancelled, then you wouldn't have an entitlement to claim. (There are some arguments that this clause is invalid/unenforceable; I do not wish to rehash them and will simply say that no court I am aware of has ruled in favour of a passenger on such an argument to date.)

mangyiscute

Established Member
You may only reach Crewe and have to change for Rail Replacement at the moment due to flooding of a tunnel between Crewe and Chester as a result of Storm Babet.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's been cancelled after Crewe now, RTT only shows the train operating to Crewe

sonic2009

Established Member
I think the North Wales coast has been shut now also. Would be good to hear from the OP whenever reads this to how the journey went.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Llandudno Junction and Holyhead
Heavy rainfall flooding the railway between Llandudno Junction and Holyhead means that all lines are blocked. Trains running between these stations may be cancelled or delayed.

Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Customer Advice

Avanti West Coast

Passengers are advised not to travel north of Chester.

Customers with tickets dated Thursday 19 and Friday 20 October may use their ticket for travel up to and including Monday 23 October.

tspaul26

Established Member
There'll almost certainly be announcements on board as to what to do, but if not, just ask the train manager.

The NRCoT state that DelayRepay is calculated based on the Published Timetable Of The Day, that is to say what appears on National Rail Enquiries at 10pm the day before travel. If that said that the train was cancelled, then you wouldn't have an entitlement to claim. (There are some arguments that this clause is invalid/unenforceable; I do not wish to rehash them and will simply say that no court I am aware of has ruled in favour of a passenger on such an argument to date.)

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's been cancelled after Crewe now, RTT only shows the train operating to Crewe

I think the North Wales coast has been shut now also. Would be good to hear from the OP whenever reads this to how the journey went.
Looks like the OP may well get Delay Repay after all then

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@gray1404. Presume you've now arrived in Crewe. What arrangements (if any) have been put in place for you to complete your journey to Bangor, noting all the flooding today? Are trains still running onwards from Chester?

Status
Not open for further replies.