• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150s still allocated to long runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Don't mind 153s on longer runs, much nicer than a 3+2 150,

agreed! If the talked about rebuild into CL155s happens for DDA Reasons with some or indeed all the Dogbox's then they will instantly become my favourite mid distance 75mph DMU!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On Friday (15th) I was expecting a 3-car 158 on the 1530 Cardiff to Portsmouth service. I nearly cried when 150221 and 150202 (which has an interior like the 150/1!) turned up. Luckily enough I was only going to Bristol.

But yes, the one that shocks me the most is the 0600 Penzance to Cardiff, which finally crawls into Cardiff at 1218, with a journey time of six hours and eighteen minutes. Absolutely dire for such a service, but I certainly don't think anybody would do the journey end to end, unless there's some seriously bonkers enthusiasts or if there's elderly passengers who'd rather not change trains. It is actually quicker to board the 0628 Penzance to Glasgow service and change at Bristol and it is possible to arrive at Cardiff at 1143. Certainly my most preferred option anyway!

An ATW one with high aack seats and tables would be ok, just, but defo not anything FGW have to put on it 150 wise. Even a single 153 would be better.
As to the service itself it would be usable if there was some truly mindblowing advances end to end on it and it would ensure complete voyager avoidence! That said it would take a lot of guts (and a trip to the boozy isle in LIDL the night before) for me to do it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Based on the journies posted through this thread i had a look at the various mileages covered. These are all approximate.

• Lincoln - Cardiff 197
  • Skegness - Aberystwyth 254
  • Penzance - Cardiff 245
  • Great Malvern - Weymouth 161
  • Great Malvern - Brighton 214
  • Scarborough - Holyhead 234
  • Cardiff - Portsmouth 140
  • Shrewsbury - Cardiff (via Central Wales line) 164
  • Sudbury - Peterborough 134

TEW

Established Member
An ATW one with high aack seats and tables would be ok, just, but defo not anything FGW have to put on it 150 wise. Even a single 153 would be better.
As to the service itself it would be usable if there was some truly mindblowing advances end to end on it and it would ensure complete voyager avoidence! That said it would take a lot of guts (and a trip to the boozy isle in LIDL the night before) for me to do it!
The FGW 150/2s have the same interior as the ATW ones, just generally in a slightly better condition, and they're OK. A single 153 wouldn't be much fun, as a 150 the service is crowded enough into Plymouth and again into Bristol. The crowding used to be horrendous when the service started at Exeter at 0933 and was formed of a single 143.

pemma

Veteran Member
Based on the journies posted through this thread i had a look at the various mileages covered. These are all approximate.

• Lincoln - Cardiff 197
  • Skegness - Aberystwyth 254
  • Penzance - Cardiff 245
  • Great Malvern - Weymouth 161
  • Great Malvern - Brighton 214
  • Scarborough - Holyhead 234
  • Cardiff - Portsmouth 140
  • Shrewsbury - Cardiff (via Central Wales line) 164
  • Sudbury - Peterborough 134

On occasions 150s have run South Wales-Manchester services. For instance, when Northern subleased an ATW 150 they put 2 x 150s on the last South Wales-Manchester, with the intention of one being detached at Manchester and being sent to the Newton Heath depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.