• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

150's. They belong in the cess pool of history.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The GWR 150s coming out of C6 have 3x2 seating and unless you are in a table or priority seat your knees won't fit, even following C6 still failing. Noisy and bouncy, can't wait to see the back of them.

It’s on 3 of the GWR 150/2s with that layout.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
The GWR 150s coming out of C6 have 3x2 seating and unless you are in a table or priority seat your knees won't fit, even following C6 still failing. Noisy and bouncy, can't wait to see the back of them.

It’s on 3 of the GWR 150/2s with that layout.

Still awful.

150202 / 216 - Original BR Seats
150207 - Chapman seats installed by First North Western to near original layout.

Those 3 are Angel Trains owned and sadly, the DfT prefers to count seats so won’t allow GWR to standardise them to match the rest of the fleet (Porterbrook) units. 207 could have fairly easily have been done. But all 3 now have the GWR interior and look somewhat smarter than before.

michael74

150202 / 216 - Original BR Seats
150207 - Chapman seats installed by First North Western to near original layout.

Those 3 are Angel Trains owned and sadly, the DfT prefers to count seats so won’t allow GWR to standardise them to match the rest of the fleet (Porterbrook) units. 207 could have fairly easily have been done. But all 3 now have the GWR interior and look somewhat smarter than before.
Yes they look smarter, that's all, I don't like being in them as a passenger or working them. The only redeeming feature is they are crowd guzzlers and they have plenty of door controls, otherwise they can get in the bin.

Mat17

Each to their own. I'd take a 150 over a 153 any day. I'd take a Pacer over a 153. Much faster for a start.
Completely agree. 153s were the worst second generation trains bar non. They were only exceeded in awfulness when a batch of 142s were butchered into the Merseyrail monsters, which then became the worst trains to ever run on British railway metals since the Rainhill trials. :)

150s are merely sub standard.

JD2168

The 150’s I have used mostly are Northern versions which are pretty awful. The 3+2 seating has very poor legroom & also leaves a narrow gangway. You also have the problem of the annoying door swinging around between carriages if not shut properly. They are used in 3 car formation on the Huddersfield line but a Class 158 would be much better for the route from a passenger perspective.

One of my worst journeys came on a 150, a cramped & rather full journey from Hull to Sheffield.

Last edited:
Completely agree. 153s were the worst second generation trains bar non. They were only exceeded in awfulness when a batch of 142s were butchered into the Merseyrail monsters, which then became the worst trains to ever run on British railway metals since the Rainhill trials. :)

150s are merely sub standard.
Oh yea definitely. I remember one of those monsters with a leaking roof one day. Not much fun when the train is quite full.