• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1628 Derby - Kettering

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Visiting Derby today I was surprised to encounter a 1628 to Kettering via Oakham and Corby.

Didn't realise there was any booked passenger service that way.

Is there a corresponding northbound service? And what is it actually for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mugby

Established Member
It arrives in Kettering at 1800 and there is a return working at 1810 to Sheffield (terminating at Derby until the blockade is over)

There is, perhaps, a connection at Leicester for people off the 1705 Pancras to Nottm. stopper who want Derby and Sheffield but it would be interesting to see what loadings are like.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Visiting Derby today I was surprised to encounter a 1628 to Kettering via Oakham and Corby

Didn't realise there was any booked passenger service that way.

Is there a corresponding northbound service? And what is it actually for?

Route learning I would imagine for when engineering works are on.

Incidentally there is also an 0603 SX departure from Melton Mowbray to London which uses this route, returning from St Pancras at 1750

berneyarms

Established Member
As already stated, this train is there for route knowledge retention purposes.

Up until the May timetable change this train actually continued to St Pancras from Kettering at 18:23. The 17:00 ex-St Pancras would split at Kettering, with one half continuing to Corby and the other to Sheffield. With the change in operating patterns due to the Thameslink timetable changes this pattern came to an end.

There is a morning northbound service from Corby to Derby at 09:26 using the set off the Corby-Kettering shuttle also for route retention purposes.

Established Member
It arrives in Kettering at 1800 and there is a return working at 1810 to Sheffield (terminating at Derby until the blockade is over)

There is, perhaps, a connection at Leicester for people off the 1705 Pancras to Nottm. stopper who want Derby and Sheffield but it would be interesting to see what loadings are like.

Indeed, there was no direct service from St Pancras to Derby & Sheffield between 1657 and 1757 in the previous timetable so by providing a connection from the 1715 from St Pancras it plugs the gap in a way. It still does so since May but doesn't work so well IMO.

TheBigD

Established Member
There is a morning northbound service from Corby to Derby at 09:26 using the set off the Corby-Kettering shuttle also for route retention purposes.

Used this train from Oakham a couple of weeks ago. A grand total of 3 passengers including myself.

Established Member
Used this train from Oakham a couple of weeks ago. A grand total of 3 passengers including myself.
The 1628 looks like it is now a 5 car since May vice the 4 car from before May so even more room. Still a 4 car in the morning.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
It was a 4 car when i used it recently, I did make a TOPS request on here as I forgot to check the unit number but to no avail!
I changed at East Midlands Parkway for the local stopper to Syston and was surprised a handful of people stayed on as its next stop is Melton Mowbray.

Status
Not open for further replies.