• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

170s

MichaelTrains

Is it me or is it unusual to see so many class 170 Northern Units on the Hull and Chester services?

I can’t ever recall seeing one on either in the past but I’ve seen two on them this afternoon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JD2168

Class 170 are normal allocation on Sheffield to Scarborough via Hull services, these are probably which you saw.

Manchester Vic crews don’t sign 170s so they’ll never see use on Chester’s.
Booked 195 and 195 at best of times but rarely a 158 slips through the net but this is rare.

Most diagrams on Sheffield - Scarborough/Bridlington are 170s with 155s on the short Hull - York.

sbrignall72

Manchester Vic crews don’t sign 170s so they’ll never see use on Chester’s.
Booked 195 and 195 at best of times but rarely a 158 slips through the net but this is rare.

Most diagrams on Sheffield - Scarborough/Bridlington are 170s with 155s on the short Hull - York.
170s are all based at Botanic Gardens Hull, so usually do Scarborough to Sheffield via Hull as mentioned and also York to Leeds via Harrogate. Odd workings on Hull to Doncaster stopping service and Hull to York occasionally.

Kite159

Veteran Member
170s are all based at Botanic Gardens Hull, so usually do Scarborough to Sheffield via Hull as mentioned and also York to Leeds via Harrogate. Odd workings on Hull to Doncaster stopping service and Hull to York occasionally.
Don't they also pop up occasionally on Leeds - Selby/Hull stoppers on Sundays?

Tractor37

The 2115 Hull to Halifax is formed of a 170 and a 158 (normally). The 170 is detached at Leeds and goes ECS to Neville Hill. Last night it was formed of 2 170’s , so occasionally a 170 does make it to Halifax.

Veteran Member
So they were doing a Hull Halifax, yes. It's not the rarest thing in the world. Far from it. :)
But at Hebden Bridge?! Various 185s worked through there yesterday pm (route learners I assume), could it be that the OP didn't get a good view?

MichaelTrains

But at Hebden Bridge?! Various 185s worked through there yesterday pm (route learners I assume), could it be that the OP didn't get a good view?

I could have sworn it was definitely a 170 but with it being dark I guess I could have been mistaken.

Do 170s go up the Copy Pit route?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sorry, I got Hebden Bridge and New Pudsey mixed up there! Surely that must have been a mis-sighting?

York drivers and guards sign 170s and Leeds to Man Vic via Tod afaik. Probably a funky diagram due to engineering works.